Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

So You Think

bolty58

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently 5/1 jt 2nd fav with Pour Moi (Derby Winner) just behind Workforce at 9/2.

However, I reckon it'll be 4/1 after the next win.

Also available at 9/4 for the Coral Eclipse on 2nd July, but it's not certain he'll run there. Oh, and 16/1 for next years Melbourne Cup!

• Members

Cheers mate. I don't back ante post - only did it once when the greatest racehorse I have seen in the flesh (Dancing Brave) ended up running second in, arguably, the greatest ever Derby. I took 11-2 each way about a week earlier (and put everything on - mortgage payment, the lot I was that confident). His final quarter mile from the back of the field was mind boggling and to this day it still irks me that he didn't overhaul Shahrastani.

Greville Starkey never rode him again and the appointment of Eddery made sure the same mistakes were not made in the Arc.

Since then, I haven't bet ante post. Had the stupid idea I'd jinxed him.

I'll back SYT on the respective days he races.

• Members

Thrilled at the prospect of my current favourite racehorse racing at Royal Ascot.

I got $1-48 and seriously lumped on. I also have a lazy 200 double with Frankel.

Not even comtemplating not collecting. I just want an equine superstar to show you all what he is really capable of. You won't have any worry about backing him to the hilt in the Arc then - hopefully at around 3-1!

• Site Supporter

Thrilled at the prospect of my current favourite racehorse racing at Royal Ascot.

I got $1-48 and seriously lumped on. I also have a lazy 200 double with Frankel.

Not even comtemplating not collecting. I just want an equine superstar to show you all what he is really capable of. You won't have any worry about backing him to the hilt in the Arc then - hopefully at around 3-1!

You owe everyone here a serious fucking drink when you next come over.

I'm not happy.

That's why they call it gambling, mate. There are no certainties in this game.

Bolty may well have advised you to back it, but you weren't forced. You're just talking through your pocket, because you're pissed at losing money. Unfortunately, that's part and parcel of horse racing.

• Site Supporter

That's why they call it gambling, mate. There are no certainties in this game.

Bolty may well have advised you to back it, but you weren't forced. You're just talking through your pocket, because you're pissed at losing money. Unfortunately, that's part and parcel of horse racing.

Pah

I want my pound back.

Aye, it was sweating up quite badly on the turn, and as you say the course record went.

Unfortunately, everyone will talk about SYT not winning, when we should focus on how good Rewilding is and what a great ride Dettori put in to drive his horse home.

• Members

Just got up and watched the recording. Stunned.

"The glorious uncertainties of racing". If you'd have told me anything could give SYT 4 lengths start at the furlong pole and run him down, I would be suggesting you seek psychiatric help.

As Traf said, the first thing to say is how brilliant Rewilding was. Course record eh?

The second thing is, whilst momentarily hurting, I'll be back with double on next time and I'll get odds against.

This race was lost in the first furlong. Not sure if you will get replays up there but there was an almighty f?ck up with SYT's pacemaker and he actually ends up checking him at the end of the first furlong. Looking at the margin of defeat, I have no doubt this made the difference.

Spider - 'old woman running for a bus'? FFS man, have you ever watched racing before?

• Members

Some you win some you lose mate. I lost a bit, but lost much more in the past.

One defeat doesn't make it a bad horse.

Lump on it next time

Genuinely sorry if folk dropped a few quid but they'll get it back with interest if they stick.

I'll be lumping on next time Jazza.

Can't believe folk are wittering about losing their life savings? First rule - don't bet what you can't afford to lose.

I have merely loaned the bookies an amount for a relatively short period of time. It is coming back with interest.

Edited by bolty58

My mate lost an awful lot on SYT in a double with Frankel. I lost too much, but nothing compared to him.

I reckon it'll be back though. O'Brien looked stunned after the race and if what he says about him being undercooked is true you can be sure he will have him sorted next time out and giving us better Odds. The pacemaking was a fuck up too. However, I'll be backing it again.

Interesting that Dettori got a whip ban from the race. Not that it makes much of a difference.

I think it's a fucking disgrace that Dettori's got a 9 day ban. These top jockeys owe it to the horse owners/trainers/backers and the general public to ride out a finish.

Frankie Dettori isn't half the jockey he used to be, but fucking hell he rode out a proper finish today: SYT would have won if Dettori was on board or if Dettori hadn't been on Rewilding.

Today's race was a great example of top class horses and top class riding. A true spectacle.

• Members

Nothing to argue with there lads. It was a great spectacle and we WILL recoup if we stick (I know I will be).

Have a look at this and especially the irate Aussie comments at the bottom :D

http://www.racenet.com.au/news/705/70595.asp

They are trying to drum up a story here too:-

http://www.racenet.com.au/news/706/70600.asp

Some shite on there mate, but that one about Dettori is spot on. SYT would have won with Frankie on board, or Mr Arnold of course.

Genuine sprinters shouldn't have pacemakers setting a false gallop.

Genuine sprinters shouldn't be going for home 4 furlongs out.

An underprepared horse, poor jockey tactics, poor stable tactics (ie use of pacemaker) all contrived to defeat SYT.

A cynic ( not me, of course! :whistle: ) might point to SYT being as high as 1.4 when we were all expected as low as 1.2. Maybe the O'Brien team were laying?

• Moderators

I think it's a fucking disgrace that Dettori's got a 9 day ban. These top jockeys owe it to the horse owners/trainers/backers and the general public to ride out a finish.

not watched it nor am i ever likely to

not interested enough

but

imo, if dettori is going to get a ban, then the result should be overturned

not just in this race, but any race

if the jockey is found to be mistreating the horse, a 9 day ban is hardly a punishment that sends out a message stating the well being of the horses is paramount

maybe i'm missing something, though

i dunno