Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

11 Years Ago Today

Zico

I was there (rearranged a business trip to Colchester to coincide). I can honestly say I've never seen such a one eyed refereeing performance, as Knight sent 2 Bolton players off (same as he had at Palace) and awarded 3 penalties to Ipswich. Saw Gartside just after the final whistle and he was utterly speechless - never seen that any other time.

But, on mature relection, if we had gone up we would probably have come straight back. Sam was ready one year later, and the team almost was. And then came the signings...

i had my degree final exam the next day,

so... i went the game, nearly got beat up, then threw a seat onto the bottom row in anger, and got home at 4am

oh and fcuked the exam of course.

i blame knight for my every action, prick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Knight_(referee)

In May 2000 during a highly controversial Division One Play-off semi-final between Bolton Wanderers and Ipswich Town at Portman Road he handed out 12 yellow cards and two red cards to Mike Whitlow and Robbie Elliott of Bolton with not a single card to Ipswich and also saw fit to award Ipswich three penalties.[6] Many Bolton representatives, including manager Sam Allardyce, club captain Gu?ni Bergsson and Paul Warhurst would receive fines from the F.A. for comments relating to Knight's officiating of the game. Knight never refereed a game at Bolton's Reebok Stadium again.

Guest Frandsen08

No, but he ran the line along the West Stand as I recall. Or have I imagined that?

Did he really? Well I never

• Moderators

No, but he ran the line along the West Stand as I recall. Or have I imagined that?

he reffed (or lined) our last away game at Norwich and pretty sure that's his only game for us since, I may have just forgot though

was he not 4th official at ours?

dunno

when he dies i will have a good drink,

and if it was near enough i'd piss on his grave the cheating twat

think it was whitlow he sent of for a second yellow for pulling a shirt

when he clearly saw Jim Magilton kick one of our players and didnt even book him

and he secored in the last minute of normal time to take it to e.t

i once heard he was good friend with then ipswich chairman

I don't think he ran the line, but wasn't he a 4th official in one game?

Could've been. I remember some rumpus in the West Stand & thought they must've rounded up a kiddy fiddler or something. When I asked someone said they'd spotted Knight.

Guest Frandsen08

Think the only two occasions we saw him again were (as Zico noted) Norwich away which he reffed. He was also 4th official away at Pompey, the mid week game where Sheringham scored (a hattrick?) and we got spanked 4-0 or 4-1

that was my first trip to pompey away on a wet wedsnesday night, had to skip school and everything!

Could've been. I remember some rumpus in the West Stand & thought they must've rounded up a kiddy fiddler or something. When I asked someone said they'd spotted Knight.

He looks like a kiddly fiddler

That team was better than the one that went up

Guest bwfcdan

What a c*nt! I still wonder how much Sheepshank's paid him! Another c*nt! I hope Knight get's mowed down by a bus..

Odd coincidence (or good conspiracy theory ) .....

Sheepshanks was so p*ssed off when we beat Ipswich on away goals in the play-off semi of 1999 that he had the sway goals rule scrapped.

And then, guess what - Bolton V Ipswich in the play-off semi of 2000. Knight got the reffing job and the rest is ......

:blink:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.