Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

'have Bolton Played ?Attractive Football? Under Owen Coyle This Season?'

Have we played attractive football? Yes. Has it been the norm? No.

Coyle has shown a desire to play football, but look at the 11. Good football starts from the back. We don't have ball-playing fullbacks, nor do we have that Campo-type player who will drop off and give the central defenders an option. Our midfield is limited, in terms of footballing ability. And Davies is still seen as "the weapon".

None of these things will help in the quest for decent football.

• Site Supporter

before i read the article, id say we have at times but very, very rarely. and certainly not in the latter stages of the season.

and its nothing new, the more attacking players you play (petrov, mavies, holden) then you obviously going to play a little more "attractivley".

megson wanted to win 1-0, so played more defensive players, which were incapable of attractive football. especially when the chips were down, so to speak.

I think Coyle is basing our team on a counter attacking style of football hence the low possesion rate also because after a sustained attack the team loses any shape so the likes of Elmander are caught covering full back areas. Davies can be a focus for the team a get out ball in times of threat but it would help if during corners we had a guy on the half way line as the get out ball and also to impose some threat that will keep at least a couple of defenders from trundling into our box.

I'm sorry I think I started talking sense then ,I stop drinking at the end of the season but rest assured normal service will resume :angry:

Have we played attractive football? Yes. Has it been the norm? No.

Why should we try to play attractive football away from home when we always get thumped?

Give me 0-0 at Atletico or 2-2 at Bayern or a 1-0 at Boro any day of the week.

I'd love to see Coyle be a real success, but he doesn't have to play frilly knickers football to get me excited.

• Members

This perception is just more lazy journalism. A few years back we were labelled long-ball and didn?t get the credit we deserved. This season the opposite has happened. I think people have again come to conclusions from brief highlights on the telly and believe we?re attractive to watch.

It is interesting that we?re so close to the top or the bottom of those tables.

But the most important thing for me ? and this is something they can?t measure ? is how much more enjoyable and entertaining going to the match has been this season compared with last. Home matches anyway!

Being honest, apart from the month of November and odd glimpses here and there I would not say we have been playing attractive football under Coyle. Our passing is often very poor and we have many players who just do not look comfortable on the ball.

Have we played some football this year unlike any football we've seen played for many a year? Yes we have.

Have we scored some goals pof the like of which we haven;t seen scored in many a year? Yes we have.

Is it a myth that we now no longer play long ball and that we don't actually always play the beautiful football some people would have you believe? Yes it is.

At the risk of sounding hugely Coyle-like, we are very much a work-in-progress. Some of the football and goals we've seen this season have been outstanding, however, we all know there is still the tendency to go too long too often.

Until we replace Kevin Davies as our main striker and until we recruit more players in the Stuart Holden/Mark Davies mould rather than the Fabrce Muamba/Tamir Cohen mould then we'll continue to pump it long too often.

Who's got that accolade this season then? Just curious.

I'm sure Campo used to hold that title every season he was here.

Don't ya just miss the way he used to hit the deck and grab hold of the ball. I do.

Who's got that accolade this season then? Just curious.

I'm sure Campo used to hold that title every season he was here.

Don't ya just miss the way he used to hit the deck and grab hold of the ball. I do.

The Diver; Ashley Young

Most fouls committed in PL history?

The Diver; Ashley Young

Most fouls committed in PL history?

After seeing the snivelling little twat hitting the turf at every opportnity at the Reebok I should've guessed that.

Wouldn't be suprised if Davies holds the all-time title... ?

After seeing the snivelling little twat hitting the turf at every opportnity at the Reebok I should've guessed that.

Wouldn't be suprised if Davies holds the all-time title... ?

correct, of course

most booked in prem ever?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.