Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

To Be In The Presence Of Greatness

Watching Gazza at Wembley making Colin Hendry look a cunt in Euro 96...

On a personal note my daughter being mascot twice and leading the team out with Youri first time then Jay Jay...

in fact just typing that sends a shiver down my spine, how fuckin good is that?

It's not greatness or genius, but other memorable stuff is when something outrageous takes place, or some amazing display of bad behaviour which will never be forgotten or forgiven. Las Vegas 1993, rematch between Riddick Bowe and Evander Holyfield. Who remembers this fucking maniac?

0.jpg

It's not greatness or genius, but other memorable stuff is when something outrageous takes place, or some amazing display of bad behaviour which will never be forgotten or forgiven. Las Vegas 1993, rematch between Riddick Bowe and Evander Holyfield. Who remembers this fucking maniac?

0.jpg

Same bloke tried to land at Burnden didnt he? against Arsenal, Monday night Sky game....

Been to a few decent sporting events other than the obvious Bolton ones, but a couple of England games were unbelievable to be at. Both in the world cup - Italia '90. Being in the crowd vs Belgium, in Bologna, as Platt scored on the turn then ran towards us was a massive buzz. Being at the semi final v Germany was one hell of an experience too.

• Site Supporter

Jay Jay at White Hart Lane was a good shout.

Saw Tiger Woods destroy the field at The Grove in a WGC tournament, bit like Rory tonight. He was absolutely awesome.

Leigh took the piss winning the RL Division 2 in about 1985, Steve Helliwell scored about 50 tries in that season.

Pah okocha was good, but

Remember that home game when he pinged it across the width of the pitch to Djorkaeff

He had to move a couple of feet to control it

After which, he pinged it right back at JJ quicker and with more accuracy as if to say "that's how you do it son"

We didn't know quite how lucky we were

• Site Supporter

Ask Ray Parlour how good JJ was.

Edit: Actually, ask Beckham n'all.

there should be a video somewhere of that flick over his head in the corner, Jules thats a great point that was amazing the JJ to Youri exchange

36 secs in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peu7cBp3ero&playnext=1&list=PL868C565E357137EE

Edited by superjohnmcginlay

Pah okocha was good, but

Remember that home game when he pinged it across the width of the pitch to Djorkaeff

After which, he pinged it right back at JJ quicker and with more accuracy as if to say "that's how you do it son"

Typical hoofball from Bolton.

Kinnell, to think back to some of the quality we used to have.

I remember Okocha taking the piss out of Roy Keane at the Reebok with a couple of drag-backs. Not many folk did that to him (and got away with it anyway).

Re the flick over Parlour's head. Never saw a player do that in a game before, nor have I seen it since. I remember a photo of it at the time and Parlour's face is saying "What the f..."

I think Parlour's is still probably looking for where the ball went.

36 secs in

I don't think that's THE flick.

He did another in the same game where he sort of "scooped" it with the top of his foot way over Parlour's head and then ran on to it.

Edited by DazBobParr

Pah okocha was good, but

Correct Jules, couldnt agree more and I will say it again&I met them both, shook their hands & had photos with Henrietta. Priceless memories

• Moderators

2 early childhood memories from Horwich

1) Jimmy Saville taking part in a marathon that passed through town, waited for ages for him to pass in flash - was stood at corner of Winter Hey Lane and Chorley New Road

2) at the same location, watched Fred Dibnah bring down a chimney - where Aldi is now

does that count?

2 early childhood memories from Horwich

1) Jimmy Saville taking part in a marathon that passed through town, waited for ages for him to pass in flash - was stood at corner of Winter Hey Lane and Chorley New Road

2) at the same location, watched Fred Dibnah bring down a chimney - where Aldi is now

does that count?

When I lived in Lydiate, we were coming back from Ormskirk one Saturday morning and we passed Jimmy Savile running in the opposite direction. My wife didn't believe me when I said it was him so I turned the car round and went back to have another look. He was opening a summer fair at Ashworth Hospital that afternoon.

Pah okocha was good, but

Whoa, there...good call BUT wrong way round! It was Youri pinged it over from in front of the WASL, JJ (in front on the ESL) had to shuffle back a few yards to get it and then, with no back lift at all, pinged it back onto Youri's feet...for exactly the reason you gave!

One of me finest memories.

Whoa, there...good call BUT wrong way round! It was Youri pinged it over from in front of the WASL, JJ (in front on the ESL) had to shuffle back a few yards to get it and then, with no back lift at all, pinged it back onto Youri's feet...for exactly the reason you gave!

Ah right - fair enough; I'll trust your memory as mine is bobbins :good:

Yes - thats how I remember it as well

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.