Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

70's Terrace Wars

i remember the bolton names " ivan, joe cook, damper" all stood on the car park after the game .

"stand and fight" they passed us on weston st a couple of minutes later.........

Not seen damper since i lent him ?20 about 6 years ago...I'll drop the money off at your dad's house he said. :rofl:

Surprised nobody has mentioned newcastle trip ..keegans first away match. throwing the henry's sign into the manny road north.

fucking thousands of them.

The Newcastle home match (first home match of 82/3) and the Sheff U match (last game of 83/4) were frightening for a young lad of primary school age. My memory is that the Bolton fans held their own in the first match and got slaughtered on the second occasion.

What was it about Bolton in those days? They'd happily lose at home against some non-descript southern team with about 40 fans on the Embankment, but if a big club arrived with 6,000 loons, we beat them and sent them in to fury! Same thing happened with Sheff Weds on the last day of 81/2.

Is my memory playing tricks or do I also remember the Newcastle fans throwing slates?

FA Cup 5th round, the season we got promoted from the 3rd Division? I remember plod pulling a lot of Luton fans out of the Lever End, and then calming them down with a method you wouldn't see today. The coppers would take an arm each and then ram the fan's head into the concrete bollards that formed part of the fence. It seemed to work.

i've heard my dad talk about this game, apparently people were leaving with darts sticking out of them?

I think one of the worst games for the darts was Stoke at home in the Sunday FA Cup game, that day was fuckin mayhem, some of them even called into Athy before going to Bolton, one of them was a right gobby fucker, saw him being led out with a dart in his head, I chuckled to myself. :D

Not seen damper since i lent him ?20 about 6 years ago...I'll drop the money off at your dad's house he said. :rofl:

Surprised nobody has mentioned newcastle trip ..keegans first away match. throwing the henry's sign into the manny road north.

fucking thousands of them.

mentioned the newcastle game a liitle early in the post the two other things i also remember about that one was they tried to keep the newcastle fans locked behind for a while after the game and being stood on manchester rd waiting for the bus all off a sudden the large gate they used to open to let everyone out of the embankment was lifted of its hinges and they came flooding out it was like zulu luckly the bus turned up in the nick off time and they crammed has many has they could in in before driving off everyone else had to leg it. also remember i was in my last year at school the following year and we had a careers visit from a police officer who was at the game and he mentioned being knocked out cold at the game with a brick to the face while being stood on the manny road terrace .

Its no big deal when you are playing sides who dont normally bring good away followings, but when relegation or promotion kicks in, you expected the worse at Burnden Park, with both Sheffield teams, Bristol City & Chelsea..

One of the most violent games I saw at Burnden was between Hayward and Smithill schools,around 71/2 fucking hell there was running battles all night,if memory serves Hayward were banned for the next few years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.