Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Swp

• Moderators

Why do people think he won't walk straight into Stoke's team? Can't see him being a bench warmer no matter who there current right winger is. Whoever it is, I reckon SWP is better

Why do people think he won't walk straight into Stoke's team? Can't see him being a bench warmer no matter who there current right winger is. Whoever it is, I reckon SWP is better

Completely agree and a lot of people including posters on here would have Stoke finishing above us this season. Add to the fact that he will get more money and play in Europe, it looks a more attractive option to be fair

Pennant right

Etherington left

That's right.

I guess the only things we have in our favour at present over Stoke are :-

a ) He'd walk straight into our first team on Day 1.

b ) His best mate plays for us.

c ) Our manager isn't a cap wearing cunt.

Jokes aside, this really will show what is most important to SWP. Money or playing football. If he chooses Stoke over us it's obviously the former that matters to him most.

Edited by DazBobParr

That's right.

I guess the only things we have in our favour at present over Stoke are :-

a ) He'd walk straight into our first team on Day 1.

b ) His best mate plays for us.

c ) Our manager isn't a cap wearing cunt.

Jokes aside, this really will show what is most important to SWP. Money or playing football. If he chooses Stoke over us it's obviously the former that matters to him most.

got to agree there mate how much money does a footballer need if he never got another penny in his life , he'd still die a rich man . mind you sayin that its not him that will be doin the negotiating it will be his screw em for all their worth agent . sometimes i just wish the bottom would fall right out the game

I'd go where the money was, as long as I got certain guarantees about first team football.

If we get nowhere near what the others are offering, we have no chance. If we offer a bit less, but with footballing guarantees, we're in with a chance. He's said he wants to play for us, but like all players, they have a short career and need to get what they can.

He could break his leg next week - career more or less over. You make the money while it's there.

I'd go where the money was, as long as I got certain guarantees about first team football.

If we get nowhere near what the others are offering, we have no chance. If we offer a bit less, but with footballing guarantees, we're in with a chance. He's said he wants to play for us, but like all players, they have a short career and need to get what they can.

He could break his leg next week - career more or less over. You make the money while it's there.

yea i know that thats what im getting at he must have made his money by now even if he lived till he was hundred years old, so any decision now should surely be based purely on football I;E minutes on the pitch etc and if the worst should happen and he does suffer a career ending injury he's probably insured for about 10 million pound ' which he probably wont make in whats left of his last few years at the top

Most Premier League players could do a couple of seasons as a squad player and never have to work again.

If a "squad player" was earning ?20K per week, and earned that for two years, of course he would have to work again. Long gone are the days when you can live your next 50 or 60 years starting with just ?1M in the bank.

It doesn't matter how much folk earn, they will find something to spend it on. Granted if a player bought a 2 bedroom hovel on Thicketford Road and saved everything he earned and lived on beans on toast, then yes he would be set up for life.

If however that player got used to a life of living in a ?3M house and having second and thid home around Europe whislt taking first class flights to 5* destinations at every opportunity whilst keeping a fleet of top of the range cars, the of course he needs to earn as much as he can in his short career.

I've heard plenty of folk say before "?100K+ is too much for a player to earn" is it fuck, supply and demand. Footballers are no different to any other profession, they generally follow the money, and when they earn the money they spend it

If a "squad player" was earning ?20K per week, and earned that for two years, of course he would have to work again. Long gone are the days when you can live your next 50 or 60 years starting with just ?1M in the bank.

?20K per week for two years = over ?2M minus tax. That's more than most people will earn in their lifetime. If it was properly invested, they wouldn't need to work again.

Who gives a shit.

If he wants to earn more money fair fuck to him, he's just the same as the rest of us.

Why do people get so up-tight about footballers wages?

It's the most popular form of entertainment in the country so why should those at the top end (which the premier league is) not take home big wages if they can get em.

• Site Supporter

?20K per week for two years = over ?2M minus tax. That's more than most people will earn in their lifetime. If it was properly invested, they wouldn't need to work again.

It isn't you know. You need to factor in inflation, much higher tax rates and the simple fact 99% of folk live to their means anyway.

Anyway, this misses the point, if one club is offering 50% more than another then what is wrong in the footballer considering the move purely on financial gain? Is it not fair to say the majority of working folk have left an employer at some point in their career to get better pay elsewhere?

It isn't you know. You need to factor in inflation, much higher tax rates and the simple fact 99% of folk live to their means anyway.

Anyway, this misses the point, if one club is offering 50% more than another then what is wrong in the footballer considering the move purely on financial gain? Is it not fair to say the majority of working folk have left an employer at some point in their career to get better pay elsewhere?

True, but then i doubt that someone earning that sort of money is just sticking it all in a big suitcase under the bed and waiting for inflation to take its effect. They're probably doing what the likes of Robbie Fowler did and buying properties, or investing in stocks and shares, bonds, etc, to provide them with a decent living long after their career is over.

There's nothing wrong with trying to make as much money as they can, but to claim that footballers are doing it because it's a short career is a bit much when quite clearly they can earn more in a couple of years than most people manage to survive on during their entire working lives.

anyone got up to date info regarding this possible deal, instead of all just moanin at each other?

Cheers........

cant see owt happening on this now till at least monday, team will be travelling down to london today, match tomorrow then back home sat/sun think he will need to have talks with o.c who wont be available now till sunday.

• Moderators

cant see owt happening on this now till at least monday, team will be travelling down to london today, match tomorrow then back home sat/sun think he will need to have talks with o.c who wont be available now till sunday.

aye

SWP tweeted this morning he was on his way to training to looks like he's back with the City for a few days at least

OC on SWP: http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/wanderersnews/9192926.Coyle_won_t_break_the_bank_for_SWP/

?Sometimes there comes a time as a player you need to look and say ?Do I sit and not play but earn an unbelievable salary, or do I go and play?? which for me is what football is all about. They are not being short changed because they are still earning fantastic money. But because they are on a certain level they don?t want to come below that. If you love the game and you want to play football, then you say I am still earning a great salary but I am playing and I am happy in my work.?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.