Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Australian Racing This Weekend

bolty58

• Members

The highlight of the Australasian calendar this weekend when the W.S. Cox Plate is run at Moonee Valley. Regarded as the WFA championship of Australasia, the winner usually goes on to prove to be absolutely top class.

Moonee Valley is a tight turning track - not quite Chester but Australias nearest equivalent.

3 year olds get a tremendous advantage on the weight scale and carry only 49.5kgs. This year we have a very good horse in this category called Helmet and Kerrin McEvoy is wasting hard to ride him at the 49.5. He has just drawn a difficult barrier in 11 and his odds have lengthened slightly.

I had taken as much 1.80 a place as I could get on Betfair because I believe it is giving money away. 3yo's don't have a fantastic record of winning these (only a handful of eventual superstars have managed it as 3yo's) but a very good placegetting one. This is one of the weakest Cox Plates in older horse terms for a good few years so Helmet looks like he will go very close.

http://www.racenet.com.au/news/742/74231.asp

http://www.racenet.com.au/news/742/74230.asp

Other points of interest on the MV card are Black Caviars inevitable win (just been announced that she is coming to Perth for the Winterbottom Stakes - I won't be missing that one!) and another star in the making going round called Manawanui (great story, small trainer, small owners and they have uncovered an absolute gem a bit like the Takeover Target story).

Simple accumulator for me - Manawanui into Black Caviar into Helmet for a place.

Edited by bolty58

The highlight of the Australasian calendar this weekend when the W.S. Cox Plate is run at Moonee Valley. Regarded as the WFA championship of Australasia, the winner usually goes on to prove to be absolutely top class.

Moonee Valley is a tight turning track - not quite Chester but Australias nearest equivalent.

3 year olds get a tremendous advantage on the weight scale and carry only 49.5kgs. This year we have a very good horse in this category called Helmet and Kerrin McEvoy is wasting hard to ride him at the 49.5. He has just drawn a difficult barrier in 11 and his odds have lengthened slightly.

I had taken as much 1.80 a place as I could get on Betfair because I believe it is giving money away. 3yo's don't have a fantastic record of winning these (only a handful of eventual superstars have managed it as 3yo's) but a very good placegetting one. This is one of the weakest Cox Plates in older horse terms for a good few years so Helmet looks like he will go very close.

http://www.racenet.com.au/news/742/74231.asp

http://www.racenet.com.au/news/742/74230.asp

Other points of interest on the MV card are Black Caviars inevitable win (just been announced that she is coming to Perth for the Winterbottom Stakes - I won't be missing that one!) and another star in the making going round called Manawanui (great story, small trainer, small owners and they have uncovered an absolute gem a bit like the Takeover Target story).

Simple accumulator for me - Manawanui into Black Caviar into Helmet for a place.

Black Caviar's coming to Ascot next year.

I've got involved in a couple of races at Geelong this morning as part of an experiment!

10.35 Oz time (0335 here) Race 3: The Chevron @ 5/1

11.45 Oz time (0445 here) Race 5: Face Off @ 7/2 (I've also had a nibble at 8.90 for a place for Picalero!)

• Members

I've got involved in a couple of races at Geelong this morning as part of an experiment!

10.35 Oz time (0335 here) Race 3: The Chevron @ 5/1

11.45 Oz time (0445 here) Race 5: Face Off @ 7/2 (I've also had a nibble at 8.90 for a place for Picalero!)

I wish you'd ask your local man on the ground ;)

I only bothered with the Cup. Backed the Dunaden, Tanby and Bauer to win and hammered Tanby for a place on Betfair at $1.78 and $1.77 and below. Cleaned up. I should have done the Trifecta!

Dunaden looks the real deal for the Melbourne Cup. Following the exact same route as Americain which won last years. From what I saw today, both Dunaden and Bauer are very live chances on the first Tuesday in November. I will probably back Dunaden and have a saver on Bauer.

Now I have told you what is happening on Saturday. Please don't miss Manawanui in the AAMI Vase over the Cox Plate C & D. In the Cox Plate, I am huge fan of top class 3yo's carrying postage stamp weights of 49.5kgs. I am on Helmet for a place because I think it is a moral bet and paying over the odds at 1.80+ on Betfair. It will probably win but I am not sure I want to risk being nutted on the line. Manawanui was beaten by a head by Helmet in the Caulfield Guineas last week which is why I am so keen on him. He is in company restricted to his own age in the AAMI Vase. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

• Members

There wasn't much money down from me at Geelong tbh.

It's just something I was working on.

I gathered that mate. If I can assist you in any way, let me know.

Unfortunately, I am only really into the elite, top level racing so once we get past Emirates Day at the end of the Flemington Carnival, I am usually fairly quiet on the racing front. It also means I am rarely on owt at odds (as I am sure you have noticed! :D ).

Steady neddy me generating modest profit each year. Plenty of place betting.

I have 3 bets already placed for Saturday - Helmet for a place at 1.80, All Blacks to win at $1.15 and Chelsea to win at $1.43.

I'll be having a good go at Manawanui and will probably put him in a win double with Black Caviar.

Steady and unambitious - a recipe for modest profit.

I gathered that mate. If I can assist you in any way, let me know.

Unfortunately, I am only really into the elite, top level racing so once we get past Emirates Day at the end of the Flemington Carnival, I am usually fairly quiet on the racing front. It also means I am rarely on owt at odds (as I am sure you have noticed! :D ).

Steady neddy me generating modest profit each year. Plenty of place betting.

I have 3 bets already placed for Saturday - Helmet for a place at 1.80, All Blacks to win at $1.15 and Chelsea to win at $1.43.

I'll be having a good go at Manawanui and will probably put him in a win double with Black Caviar.

Steady and unambitious - a recipe for modest profit.

I'm gonna back 'em too :D

• Members

I'm gonna back 'em too :D

Fook me - the Athy KOD.

I'll have to leave them alone then! ;)

Seriously, I was shocked when Manawanui came up at $1.22 on Betfair!!! He will shit in but 1/5!!!???

Might just stick with the bets already placed.

• 2 years later...

I wish you'd ask your local man on the ground wink.gif

I only bothered with the Cup. Backed the Dunaden, Tanby and Bauer to win and hammered Tanby for a place on Betfair at $1.78 and $1.77 and below. Cleaned up. I should have done the Trifecta!

Dunaden looks the real deal for the Melbourne Cup. Following the exact same route as Americain which won last years. From what I saw today, both Dunaden and Bauer are very live chances on the first Tuesday in November. I will probably back Dunaden and have a saver on Bauer.

Now I have told you what is happening on Saturday. Please don't miss Manawanui in the AAMI Vase over the Cox Plate C & D. In the Cox Plate, I am huge fan of top class 3yo's carrying postage stamp weights of 49.5kgs. I am on Helmet for a place because I think it is a moral bet and paying over the odds at 1.80+ on Betfair. It will probably win but I am not sure I want to risk being nutted on the line. Manawanui was beaten by a head by Helmet in the Caulfield Guineas last week which is why I am so keen on him. He is in company restricted to his own age in the AAMI Vase. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Dunaden retired after another injury setback in training.