Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

West Ham

It's too easy to look back at the time under Allardyce with rose tinted glasses and to say "Well, he didn't spend much..."

I'd be interested to see what our wage bill was under Allardyce in comparison to what it is now. Anyone know?

I bet it's not that diffrent! Youri on ?25k for example? That's what robbo is on.

Staying with our friends at KUMB and the thread on Nobby.

?He needs to be dropped at home...offers us f*** all. The man never moves.?

?His first touch was absolute gash tonight, couldn't trap a ball for toffee?

?Sew Nolan's mouth shut and he wouldn't be worth a pot of piss?

?Ivan Campo was f***ing brilliant?

and Reo Coker.

?I wouldn?t piss on him if he was on fire?

I miss playing West Ham

Over a period of 7-8 years. Not a bad return considering the quality of other player's he brought in such as Youri, Jay Jay, Campo, Stelios, Ben Haim, Stelios etc etc etc

It says a lot about Sam's tenure that he probably had more top notch players that we've forgotten about than are in the current squad. Nakata, Hierro, Bruno, Per, Diouf, Anelka, Candela, Mario Jardel....

Re Nolan, I can understand their frustrations to a certain extent. Playing Nolan as an orthodox midfielder is wasting him. He can't run up and down the pitch and he can't tackle.

What he IS good at though is being in the right place at the right time and scoring goals (as well as moaning, pointing and doing that 'star' jump when a defender clears it).

Alan Pardew got the best out of Nolan by employing him just behind the one striker and leaving two CMs behind him to do the 'dirty' work.

It says a lot about Sam's tenure that he probably had more top notch players that we've forgotten about than are in the current squad. Nakata, Hierro, Bruno, Per, Diouf, Anelka, Candela, Mario Jardel....

Nakata and Jardel...? :tongue:

• Moderators

Re Nolan, I can understand their frustrations to a certain extent. Playing Nolan as an orthodox midfielder is wasting him. He can't run up and down the pitch and he can't tackle.

What he IS good at though is being in the right place at the right time and scoring goals (as well as moaning, pointing and doing that 'star' jump when a defender clears it).

Alan Pardew got the best out of Nolan by employing him just behind the one striker and leaving two CMs behind him to do the 'dirty' work.

other than that Brighton goal the over week...?

but

is he being played as an orthodox midfielder? if anyone knows how to get the best out of him, it's Fat Sam - 4 goals in 15 and 2nd in the league, them ammers can go get fucked

so long as they're not happy though, I'm happy

other than that Brighton goal the over week...?

You mean the schoolboy bit of play at the back by Brighton and where Nolan was the furthest West Ham player forward? If so, yes.

I hardly think robbing the ball off their defence 30 yards out constitutes "running up and down the pitch" ... but then again, I think you already knew the point I was making, but you have to try to contradict don't you. ;)

• Moderators

Over a period of 7-8 years. Not a bad return considering the quality of other player's he brought in such as Youri, Jay Jay, Campo, Stelios, Ben Haim, Stelios etc etc etc

Stelios, so good he named him twice :whistle:

• Moderators

You mean the schoolboy bit of play at the back by Brighton and where Nolan was the furthest West Ham player forward? If so, yes.

I hardly think robbing the ball off their defence 30 yards out constitutes "running up and down the pitch" ... but then again, I think you already knew the point I was making, but you have to try to contradict don't you. ;)

well, maybe a little bit, but it did involve running up the pitch and tackling, a bit :whistle:

It's too easy to look back at the time under Allardyce with rose tinted glasses and to say "Well, he didn't spend much..."

I'd be interested to see what our wage bill was under Allardyce in comparison to what it is now. Anyone know?

In 2006 it was ?28 million. Now it's ?56 million (both figures include social security costs)

• Moderators

In 2006 it was ?28 million. Now it's ?56 million (both figures include social security costs)

purely cos i can't be arsed looking, whats that as a percentage of turnover

a more accurate measure

from memory, i think it was lower under allardyce than it is now

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.