Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Top 10 Cities In The World

I suppose Orlando would be up there if my normal holiday destinations were lanzarote, majorca etc.

For me what makes a great city is a combinaton of

Architecture - not just big buildings but unique places with a story. The Pearl and the halgrimskirkja in Reykjavik are brilliant for differing reasons

The people - I loved Atlanta because the people were incredibly friendly and helpful.

The local culture - I don't mean theaters and art galleries its what the place is like. I love Bruges but Im not overly enamoured with Brussels.

What is there to do - is there a variety of things to do and see. Niagra has the falls which are beyond spectacular but the place its self felt a bit like Southport.

History of the place - Orlando has none of this as the place has been swamped by Disney et al.

Went to Chicago in Sept. Very impressed.

Cleaner and less crowded than NY.

Boston and Washington are good shouts too,easy to get around and very interesting.

Closer to home, think Paris is amazing but found Rome a bit disappointing (love the food though).

Orlando is what it is - a big, ugly entertainment centre which can be a lot of fun.

People going for culture and scenery are probably disappointed.

But don't ever go anywhere in the Rocky Mountains - awful places all of them,you wouldn't like it ;)

• Moderators

I suppose Orlando would be up there if my normal holiday destinations were lanzarote, majorca etc.

Architecture - not just big buildings but unique places with a story. The Pearl and the halgrimskirkja in Reykjavik are brilliant for differing reasons

The people - I loved Atlanta because the people were incredibly friendly and helpful.

The local culture - I don't mean theaters and art galleries its what the place is like. I love Bruges but Im not overly enamoured with Brussels.

What is there to do - is there a variety of things to do and see. Niagra has the falls which are beyond spectacular but the place its self felt a bit like Southport.

History of the place - Orlando has none of this as the place has been swamped by Disney et al.

amen to that

I could quite happily never set foot on a beach again in my life

amen to that

Exactly what i think unfortunately have to keep the mrs happy sometimes and with her its all about a beach.

Anyone been to Tallinn? just booking it in for my stag do, i know wont be in top 10 cities but its a stag do so who cares.

amen to that

Thats my outlook too. Places that have have got all the mentioned qualities make excellent holiday destinations from my experience.

Dont really see the point in a beach Holiday unless its for your kids etc.

Out of interest what makes a City worth visiting for you?

As a bell end I don't only vary my like for Orlando down to theme parks although I do like them.

It's all subjective really, but things I'd take into consideration are history, culture, people, food, transport links, varied things to see and do.

My favourite is probably the old revivalist, Barcelona. I think their transport links are spot on. Some fantastic architecture, not least the work of Gaudi and Sagnier. The countryside is within 20 mins on the metrolink. There is a bustling nightlife and shopping destinations. The food is spot on if you like Spanish / Catalan cuisine. The culture/history spans millenia, I personally really like the gothic quarter. And obviously it's a haven for sport (FCB, Espanyol, Circuit de Catalunya - Spanish Gran Prix, ATP tennis).

Don't get me wrong, Orlando is good at what it does, but to prove it's merits as a leading City is nonsense. You can enjoy great Cities and still be thrilled. (Like I said if your in the USA, opt for West Coast, LA, SF & LV...)

The coolest bar I ever did go in was in Shanghai

Just in the process of organising a trip to Shanghai during March - was this good bar on The Bund? - I went in a great one last time that was some sort of 1920's Jazz bar in an old colonial building.

Just in the process of organising a trip to Shanghai during March - was this good bar on The Bund? - I went in a great one last time that was some sort of 1920's Jazz bar in an old colonial building.

It was indeed. I'll have to try and rack my brains for the name, but you had to get a booth for the night and then everything was free. The bar intermittently had flames throwing up from it, most odd. Oh, and it looked right out onto the waterfront, penthouse style.

We went up in a mysterious lift with a very dodgy factory owner who clearly had his fingers in dodgy pies. I'm sure it was above the Hyatt Hotel. There's a great Japanese restaurant in there too if you didn't already know.

Thats my outlook too. Places that have have got all the mentioned qualities make excellent holiday destinations from my experience.

Dont really see the point in a beach Holiday unless its for your kids etc.

The beach has its place as part if a holiday i loved the beach on Balboa Island in California for an afternoon. But if all there is to do is get pissed or go on the beach. I'd get bored very quickly.

It's all subjective really, but things I'd take into consideration are history, culture, people, food, transport links, varied things to see and do.

My favourite is probably the old revivalist, Barcelona. I think their transport links are spot on. Some fantastic architecture, not least the work of Gaudi and Sagnier. The countryside is within 20 mins on the metrolink. There is a bustling nightlife and shopping destinations. The food is spot on if you like Spanish / Catalan cuisine. The culture/history spans millenia, I personally really like the gothic quarter. And obviously it's a haven for sport (FCB, Espanyol, Circuit de Catalunya - Spanish Gran Prix, ATP tennis).

Don't get me wrong, Orlando is good at what it does, but to prove it's merits as a leading City is nonsense. You can enjoy great Cities and still be thrilled. (Like I said if your in the USA, opt for West Coast, LA, SF & LV...)

Completely agree with your point - as mentioned earlier "Orlando is what it is - a big, ugly entertainment centre which can be a lot of fun." That's my ideal holiday whilst I am still young and energetic.

Agree with Barcelona also - the Cathedral is one of the most beautiful and impressive structures I have ever seen in my life.

the first thing I saw the 1st time I went to Orlando was a fat family all wearing Chelsea shirts. They were emerging from an all-you-can-eat hovel on international drive.

the theme parks are ok but would disagree that you can do something different every day. It really is like Blackpool. We pulled into the Best western the first night and after seeing the room moved to the Wyndham. It was like a fucking Tarantino movie in the BW. Awful.

Now, Naples, south west Florida is a world apart and proves Americans can get it right.

Naples is a retirement home, though

really?

What a stupid thing to say

I went to Lanzarote for a week on boxing day because iwanted to sit in the sun and do fuck all

Not sure how that makes Orlando my dream City

Lanzarote and Orlando are 2 completely different holidays. The only thing similar is they are both hot places.

Everyone has there preferential holiday destination whether it be sitting in the sun, city culture, trekking, skiing etc it doesn't make one place shit and another great.

Some people would much rather go to Benidorm than to somewhere like Dubai - all preference.

Edited by Walkden26

really?

What a stupid thing to say

I went to Lanzarote for a week on boxing day because iwanted to sit in the sun and do fuck all

Not sure how that makes Orlando my dream City

Lanzarote etc always seemed like hell on earth to me.

If you're used to package deals to some identikit canaries/Mediterranean resorts then Orlando must seem magical.

Perhaps i was a touch too old to enjoy it as a kid when i went at 14/15and too young to appreciate how much fun my little brother was having but i hated it and i have no desire to ever go back.

If my kids want to do disney when older we're off to Anaheim it's miles better.

ch are

What is there to do - is there a variety of things to do and see. Niagra has the falls whi beyond spectacular but the place its self felt a bit like Southport.

Where is your normal holiday destination? You one of these long haul types?

Agree with your points on Niagra - I went when I was 13/14 and thought it was going to be in the middle of nowhere and was gob smacked at how built up it is round there. Think it spoils some real natural beauty.