Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Th'iron Lady

superbobby

I don't like her but from what I've heard its pretty disrespectful, depicting her as senile and hallucinating.. prob should have waited till she died

Was just about to say the same!

We should make a film about Ronald Reagan. He had the courtesy of having dementia while in office though

Might she make a comeback?

Maybe...with all these 'celebrity' shows around you never know. I've got a good idea for a sitcom if she's at a loose end, she could play herself (like Curb Your Enthusiasm) and her full-time carer could be portrayed by Ben Elton or Billy Bragg. Anthony Worral Thompson would be in a dual role as Mark and Carol (dressed in drag) and Dave Spikey as the ghost of Dennis - get the writers of 'Love thy Neighbour' on the case and hilarity would ensue.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Moderators

They should have waited a few more years before making this, would've done much better at the box office with a happy ending.

you obviously weren't around when she reigned

keep reading your books but you'll never know what it was like

long live the queen

you obviously weren't around when she reigned

keep reading your books but you'll never know what it was like

long live the queen

I wasn't one of the 'oppressed workers' no, but I was around - and, in hindsight; the unions did need curbing, the state did need to retreat etc. but, for every necessary evil, there were manifold policies that seemed to be vindictively engineered against non-Tory regions - including ours. I was also old enough at the time, to realise what being out of work meant to people like my late Dad and my mates' dads. I bet there's a few on here who can recount stories of life savings being wiped out, before submitting to the 'shame' of signing on.

• Moderators

twas ever thus

you can have a chat with my parents generation and they'll tell you about the textile mills being decimated

and they'll not have it that it was a tory conspiracy to destroy the working class

hindsight not required, but clearly thatcher could see the here and now and dealt with it

you'd still be dithering, cos after all, you didn't think it was necessary but now you do

how old were you at the time of the strike...minus 5?

twas ever thus

you can have a chat with my parents generation and they'll tell you about the textile mills being decimated

and they'll not have it that it was a tory conspiracy to destroy the working class

hindsight not required, but clearly thatcher could see the here and now and dealt with it

you'd still be dithering, cos after all, you didn't think it was necessary but now you do

They can have a chat with me about the mills and I'm not even as old as you. Thatcher wasn't in power when it finally went tits up. The unions still thought they were though.

i love thatcher and everything about her....

it will only be a matter of time till these fucking stupid teachers and bin men will drag the country to a stand still again...with rubbish dumps filling our streets and the dead not being buried....kids and parents sat at home...whilst they all bleat on about how hard done to they are...

of course this time it will be camerons fault...

clarkson had the right idea

• Members

she seems to be the definition of a divided opinion.

Only because she was decisive and took no prisoners. Leaders like her come along very infrequently. The red rags will say 'thank God' but others of us appreciated her.

Looking at that fumbling dud Milliband, there is just no comparsion. Can't see anyone making a film about that clown at any time in the future.

twas ever thus

Have you got me mixed up with Youri Djorkaeff? (another poster, not the player - obviously), this is the first (ish) time I've ever ventured an opinion on politics - I usually post inane, boring ramblings on telly, drinking, wanking and things you did as a kid.

I was a kid at the time of the strike, my opinion/solution then was that 'they' should sack all the miners and give their jobs to folk less bolshy. I also thought Scargill was a gobby tw*t and that Thatcher was a borderline psychopath - then again during the (miners' strike) period I was about seven years old, so simplistic/naive in my thought processes.

Some might say I still am, in my opinion you can't win either way, it all boils down to...

Conservatives in power = small government, little public spending.

Labour in power = large, intrusive government coupled with spending what we don't have.

That's not my opinion, they are the overriding dogmas of each respective party.

A final word on the Thatcher years, Involving another half-cocked theory - that Maggie and Arthur had a lot more in common than either would've liked to admit, it's called horseshoe theory.

Know Yosser but who is the other cnut?

It's 'Loadsamoney' aka Harry Enfield - a parody of a southern tw*t with...loads of money. It was inferred his largesse was made plastering the homes of ponytailed, red brace wearing stockbrokers. Harry Enfield stopped 'doing' him (ooer!) when the nouveau-riche arses he was taking the piss out of, took the character to their bosoms*. A bit like when bigoted feckers praise Alf Garnett or anti-semites agree with Borat etc.

* Before killing him off he did, however, as 'Loadsamoney', release a single that made number one in the UK, most of the the profits from this went to, erm, Harry Enfield - great social conscience there, right on Harry!

ooooops

guilty as charged

I'd picked up a bit of needle from you in a few other threads too, or perhaps that really was directed at me? :thumbsup: In some other threads I've read some of t'other Youri's textbook political/social viewpoints (as in out of a textbook, not Alan Partridge's definition of 'textbook') and thought to myself - "I hope no-one thinks that's me/Youri McAnespie..."

So, in summary we have:

Youri Djorkaeff - The best footballer I have ever seen don the white shirt of BWFC.

Youri Djorkaeff - A poster on WWs - with certain, some might say naive, views.

Youri McAnespie - Me, a compound name made up of the best and shittest players I have seen for Bolton (might have to change my member name to Youri Robinson soon) - I was formerly, ages ago - Jeff Mills and/or Blanco. And I do post bollocks quite a lot so...

Uri - A bender.

I'd picked up a bit of needle from you in a few other threads too, or perhaps that really was directed at me? :thumbsup: In some other threads I've read some of t'other Youri's textbook political/social viewpoints (as in out of a textbook, not Alan Partridge's definition of 'textbook') and thought to myself - "I hope no-one thinks that's me/Youri McAnespie..."

So, in summary we have:

Youri Djorkaeff - The best footballer I have ever seen don the white shirt of BWFC.

Youri Djorkaeff - A poster on WWs - with certain, some might say naive, views.

Youri McAnespie - Me, a compound name made up of the best and shittest players I have seen for Bolton (might have to change my member name to Youri Robinson soon) - I was formerly, ages ago - Jeff Mills and/or Blanco. And I do post bollocks quite a lot so...

Uri - A bender.

You're all cunts. :D