Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Defending From The Front

Thorpey

I'm no Prem Manager but two major observations from this weekend.

Yesterday at OT we were screwed whenever we went tight at the back or dropped off. If we went tight they played in behind us and beat us for pace. If we dropped off they played into feet up front and played through us in the last third with movement as our markers weren't tight.

Watching Swansea today, they never gave Arsenal time on the ball at the back by pressing high and if the ball made it through to the midfield, they were there and nicking it away.

What happened to the days when we hassled and harried from the front, SKD flying in and defenders wetting themselves.

'Wash' N'gog & Klasnic won't / can't do it which leaves us stuffed as Muamba and NRC get sod all support from Eagles and Petrov.

So 3 / 4 players who don't help defend, reliance on 2 in the middle against an attacking 4 man midfield and being clueless at the back as to what we're supposed to be doing.

Sort it out Owen.

p.s. In Owen I trust. Just hope he sees what I see!

• Moderators

Let the centre back have the ball as much as he wants, close down in the final third. Worked for Fat Sam.

Ngog or whoever could run himself into the ground, there will always be an easy ball with Eagles or Petrov stood watching, or just do what everyone else does and exploit our lack of full-backs.

Yesterday at OT we were screwed whenever we went tight at the back or dropped off. If we went tight they played in behind us and beat us for pace. If we dropped off they played into feet up front and played through us in the last third with movement as our markers weren't tight.

Watching Swansea today, they never gave Arsenal time on the ball at the back by pressing high and if the ball made it through to the midfield, they were there and nicking it away.

What happened to the days when we hassled and harried from the front, SKD flying in and defenders wetting themselves.

'Wash' N'gog & Klasnic won't / can't do it which leaves us stuffed as Muamba and NRC get sod all support from Eagles and Petrov.

So 3 / 4 players who don't help defend, reliance on 2 in the middle against an attacking 4 man midfield and being clueless at the back as to what we're supposed to be doing.

Sort it out Owen.

Agreed except for the last sentence.

Whichever way you look at it, only having 37% possession against any team means you will be very lucky to get a result.

It's been like this for a year now, so Coyle has had plenty of time to sort it.

But his buys in the summer, especially Eagles have made it worse. You have to have midfield wide players who can tackle and retain the ball, otherwise you're always in a 4 v 2 or 3 situation.

Let the centre back have the ball as much as he wants, close down in the final third. Worked for Fat Sam.

That was the problem at OT.

Close down too tight in the final third and they played it in behind and exploited our lack of pace.

Drop off in the final third and they play to feet and play through us with intricate footie.

That's why we can't carry non defending type players in out predicament. Other teams will have picked up on it and will exploit as they have been doing for most of the season.

Unfortunately we don't have the same type of players now that Big Sam had.

Sort it out Owen.

Thanks for reading Owen!

Every single one of 'em tried their bollox off! Shows what a difference it makes when N'gog, Petrov and Eagles (bit lightweight!) hassle from the front.

Fuckin' brilliant!