Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Easy Money?

Thorpey

Me and a mate have hatched plan to make a quick buck but seems too easy to be true.

1. Deliver letter to all pubs, restaurants and takeaways (32 in total in our 'village') asking if they want to offer any sort of food promotion to a village discount card holder. No charge and free advertising for them.

2. Set up web site advertising card for ?15 and details of which places will offer a discount for any food purchases

3. For ?5 per card sold, get people knocking at doors for you or ask places that offer discount to sell for you

Initial outlay for letter, web site and cards circa ?90

Properties in village 12,000 - surely 1% would buy one?? Only need to get someone to sell 10 and in profit!!

Am I missing something?

p.s. will include kebabs, curries and chinkies.

p.p.s. I know I live in a big village.

Me and a mate have hatched plan to make a quick buck but seems too easy to be true.

1. Deliver letter to all pubs, restaurants and takeaways (32 in total in our 'village') asking if they want to offer any sort of food promotion to a village discount card holder. No charge and free advertising for them.

2. Set up web site advertising card for ?15 and details of which places will offer a discount for any food purchases

3. For ?5 per card sold, get people knocking at doors for you or ask places that offer discount to sell for you

Properties in village 12,000 - surely 1% would buy one?? Only need to get someone to sell 10 and in profit!!

Am I missing something?

So someone pays you ?15 to become a 'member'

Various eatiries then give discounts to these members at no cost to yourself, but to the eateries.

The food outlet recieves no money back in return ?

ok.

Colleague of mine from Astley Bridge hatched the same plan a few years ago. Not sure how far he got with it... but getting 12,000 properties interested needs a bit more investment than ?90 (unless I've missed something).

The restaurants & takeaways are getting "free advertising" but potentially everyone in the village is getting discounted food from them..... and you are walking away with ??????s. Hardly seems a good proposition to them if their regular customers are all buying discounted food.

Still think its a good plan though.

I was frequenting elsewhere today (internet wise) and one of the multitude things I learned was, you can sell tips/cheats/'teams' for FIFA on Ebay (and use the cash to buy 'Shoot interviews'* if one wishes).

Using this logic, I know how to break the money barriers, and thus open up all the levels, on Grand Theft Auto. Interested? Paypal me ?100 and I'll PM you the method ;)

* DVDs of wrestlers being interviewed apparently - I genuinely thought they were scans out of old 'Shoot' Magazines :)

How are the 12,000 supposed to know theres a website offering this deal ?

Get people knocking doors for you and give them ?5 per card sold!

Get food outlets to sell card and give them ?5 per card sold! This will encourage them to go back.

PS. There's enough cheapo printers out their offering 10,000 double sided A5 flyers for ?99. Artwork is extra or you can employ a local design company. Then you'd need a few schoolies to deliver the flyers during half term - or pay a team of Eastern Europeans (there's plenty of gangs working in the flyer the distribution sector).

PPS. You'd probably want to re-issue the flyer every month or two as you won't get business from one hit.

PPPS. You'd probably want to consider advertising in the local A5 community magazine and possibly advertise it as local schools, church, newsagents, etc.

So someone pays you ?15 to become a 'member'

Various eatiries then give discounts to these members at no cost to yourself, but to the eateries.

The food outlet recieves no money back in return ?

ok.

Food outlet gets repeat custom and sells drink, etc to make their profit.

Ask the Wanderers about their ?5 scheme this weekend. Do you think folk going will just spend a fiver into the club coffers>

• Site Supporter

I do something similar.

My service is free and saves folk hundreds of pounds and I still find it difficult.

The 5.00 commission will never work. Direct marketing (door knocking) figures show if you work very very hard you can speak to 100 people a day. Most direct marketing companies employ a 3% sales target.

With those figures folk will be making 15.00 a day. To make a reasonable 50 quid you need to sell 10 a day. If you find anyone who can get at least a 10% sales rate whilst getting strangers to hand over 15 quid send them my way and I will make them rich.

Good on you though, trying something.

Ran the idea thro mates at the local - spitting distance for kebab, 3 x indians, 2 x chinese and a chippy.

12 months of 20% off a kebab, free chips with cod Mon to Fri, free veggie dish with two main course curry or free rice with two main courses in the chinese. I'd have me ?15 back within a couple of weeks!

Should reach double figure sales in the local no probs!

Am I missing something?

ok these cards what are they made out of that you are getting them done for ?90, just a cardboard thingy and you expect people opening their doors to students to give them ?15 on the promise of getting money back ?

it is all about credability you need to convince the restaurants that they will get extra business rather than their regulars getting food cheap.

if you get all the restaurants you then need to get people to believe this, so just sending a letter to the restaurants wont work you need to visit them and sell the idea, lets assume 50% say yes, so you have seen 32 restuarants say 1 hour each and have 16 signed up (32 hours effort)

then you need to knock on 12000 doors assume half are out so 6000 answers it takes 2 minutes to explain the offer. lets say 5% buy you have sold 300 cards and made ?3000. the students knocking on the door have made ?1500 but have spent 200 hours knocking on doors and probably as long walking between houses so they are making ?3.75 per hour.

if you think inserts or door drops will work you can work on a responses rate of under 1%, so not knocking aint an option.

for me the numbers do not work so i am out.

Ran the idea thro mates at the local - spitting distance for kebab, 3 x indians, 2 x chinese and a chippy.

12 months of 20% off a kebab, free chips with cod Mon to Fri, free veggie dish with two main course curry or free rice with two main courses in the chinese. I'd have me ?15 back within a couple of weeks!

Should reach double figure sales in the local no probs!

but you have nt got the restaurants signed up, course your mates say they are in.

it can not make much money and you need to keep updating site. if you do it as a community thing within village yt might keep going for a few weeks or months, but it will not make you much money if you launch with 5 or 6 restaurants people wont buy the card.

but you have nt got the restaurants signed up, course your mates say they are in.

it can not make much money and you need to keep updating site. if you do it as a community thing within village yt might keep going for a few weeks or months, but it will not make you much money if you launch with 5 or 6 restaurants people wont buy the card.

They were just examples!

Right I'm sorted.

3 out of 5 village pubs must sign up.

4 out of 8 village restaurants must sign up.

8 out 19 village takeaways must sign up.

I'll do these by phone or visit.

?90 outlay - web site registered now and card design in development!

Paypal on website.

?5 for anyone who helps sell a card at door or eaterie.

Thanks for help! Bit of fun for something to do these cold nights and no chance of losing lots of cash!