Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

50 Reasons Bolton Is Great

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter

Maybe means the Croal going under the market hall? A.k.a. 'chemical valley'.

I wouldn't class a culvert as a canal. Canal gives the impression of a tranport system between mills.

I once heard that there was a tunnel systen out of Hawker Siddley (BAe) at Lostock which was built to ensure that wagons leaving the site with secret armaments couldn't be spotted by spy sattelites. Don't know if there's any truth in that though.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't class a culvert as a canal. Canal gives the impression of a tranport system between mills.

I once heard that there was a tunnel systen out of Hawker Siddley (BAe) at Lostock which was built to ensure that wagons leaving the site with secret armaments couldn't be spotted by spy sattelites. Don't know if there's any truth in that though.

Did a bit of googling - apparently there is 45 miles worth of underground canals between Bolton and Worsley - all to do with transporting coal.

What's going to happen with Moor Lane Bus Station once it relocates?

If I was a betting man I'd say car park (a shitty 'gravel' one). We have 7.5 million tourists to accommodate so the more car parks the better, hence; Clarence Street School > Car Park, Water Place > Car Park, Bolton College > Car Park coming soon...any more to add to the list?

They also have a habit of facilitating 'regeneration' of an area, possibly giving incentives/planning permission/rates cuts etc. this gets businesses to move in, only to fuck off as soon as somewhere else gets 'regenerated'.

I cut through St Andrews Court yesterday - every property, bar a jewellers and the travel agents, is empty - so why leave it standing? Red brick buildings? Fuck 'em - get them bulldozed pronto, shitty 80's mistakes (like St Andrews) leave them derelict for about 10-15 years then flatten it...

• Site Supporter

If I was a betting man I'd say car park (a shitty 'gravel' one). We have 7.5 million tourists to accommodate so the more car parks the better, hence; Clarence Street School > Car Park, Water Place > Car Park, Bolton College > Car Park coming soon...any more to add to the list?

They also have a habit of facilitating 'regeneration' of an area, possibly giving incentives/planning permission/rates cuts etc. this gets businesses to move in, only to fuck off as soon as somewhere else gets 'regenerated'.

I cut through St Andrews Court yesterday - every property, bar a jewellers and the travel agents, is empty - so why leave it standing? Red brick buildings? Fuck 'em - get them bulldozed pronto, shitty 80's mistakes (like St Andrews) leave them derelict for about 10-15 years then flatten it...

I doubt the council will open it as a surface car park when they've shut the ones they already have. Folds Road and former Water Place are just two.

They're trying to push folk into the multi-storeys.

I doubt the council will open it as a surface car park when they've shut the ones they already have. Folds Road and former Water Place are just two.

They're trying to push folk into the multi-storeys.

I know I'm a "woman" driver, but do the people who design these things all drive Fiat 500s?

Did a bit of googling - apparently there is 45 miles worth of underground canals between Bolton and Worsley - all to do with transporting coal.

Oooh just think we could have underground gondola rides,and atmospheric little canalside bistro's. Or shall we just stick with a rat infested turd filled sewer instead?

What will happen to our 'world famous' market when the bus station relocates? Given that half the clientele are old fogies reliant on public transport and the bus station being a mere tug of a tartan trolley away?

And the area earmarked for it's replacement - near The Alma, old World of Leather etc. as someone has pointed out already, is a total shithole. Even more so since the demolition of the college and tanning salon/golf shop. That white elephant interchange already there has something to do with this wholesale relocation, they've been trying to justify that for years.

On the subject of public transport, I had to catch a bus the other month - ?1.90! On the return leg I thought 'balls to that' and got a taxi 'door to door' - ?2.50, why do people bother with buses? especially if they're not alone (isn't kid's fare nearly the same as adults rates now? - I'm sure a lad paid over a quid for his fare). Should be a quid to anywhere (within Bolton) for everyone.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

thats all you can park in our multi storeys, seeing as 4wd drivers can't stay in their own bay

wankers

I'm with you on the 4x4 situation. I'm always quite happy to teach any woman how to park them near M&S. Daft bitches.

Prior to purchasing a 4x4 or one of those hideous family things, a further driving test should be passed.

Oh and that stupid cow in Horwich with a Hummer. One day I'll do more than verbally abuse you, love.

Rant over.

Bus Wanker :blum:

What's a bus wanker? I didn't have my 'special' trousers on that day - the ones with the pockets cut out, so I was just bus nobhead.

At ?1.90 for about 4 stops, they must have more money than sense these bus wankers, or they're a slate short.

Four twats all queuing up for a bus and going in the same direction - which is ?2.50 in a taxi (it was a circular route/back into town - furthest point is about ?3 in a taxi)

'I know, why not share a taxi? chip in a quid each and away we go'

'No thanks I'd rather wait in the rain tutting, then get bashed from pillar to post and get molested by smelly people whilst standing up.'

Edited by Youri McAnespie

What will happen to our 'world famous' market when the bus station relocates? Given that half the clientele are old fogies reliant on public transport and the bus station being a mere tug of a tartan trolley away?

Some sort of "metroshuttle" will be available to carry the old, fat and plain lazy around town.. ITK

Did a bit of googling - apparently there is 45 miles worth of underground canals between

Bolton and Worsley - all to do with transporting coal.

Another one for you Mickey, Bolton was the first English town to manufacture sprinkler valves, they were developed by Downson, Taylor & Co

The underground canals spread and go into Morris Green.

Edited by Breightmet Boy

It was the sequel: Indian Patel and the Cesspool of Filth.

They could do location tours, 'come to the underground canal system of Bolton, where Indian Patel and the Cesspool of Filth was filmed.

ive almost convinced myself to

a=- go on the tour and

b=watch the filum.