Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Playground Football - Who Did You Used To 'be'?

Youri McAnespie

Okocha for the last couple of years of secondary, learnt his signature trick, had him on all my Bolton shirts and well tbh he was the the talk of the school/town.

Used have Nathan Blake also and Eidur.

Moved onto Ronaldinho, that's when I really stepped up learning all different skills, I got seriously injured doing his flip-flap at Prems/PowerLeague whilst playing for Inter Yamam, had his name on my Yamam and Unreal Madrid shirt along with Didledee at the bottom, but wasn't allowed for Breightmet Utd or Hindley.

I've been Quaresm, Messi whilst playing in the hospital cup, Now it's Chungy when I mess about with dog in back garden, I have a bandana in the South Korean colours, I put that on and I have myself made nets, I climb on't garage and practise freekicks, sometimes I'll put a bin infront of the net and pretend it's Buffon, we have floodlights, so it can be like taking freekicks at Wembley and being Beckham.

Edited by Didledee

Oh and when it was Euro 96 me and this lad called Kev used have a game of 2 touch, I was Shearer, he was Sherringham, his front gates were nets, there was a none busy road in between and on other side was 2 trees, perfectly apart for some other nets. I'm gonna check Google maps and see if they're still there, knew a lad who fell out of one of those trees, used have conkers in it too.

• Site Supporter

Okocha for the last couple of years of secondary, learnt his signature trick, had him on all my Bolton shirts and well tbh he was the the talk of the school/town.

Moved onto Ronaldinho, that's when I really stepped up learning all different skills, I got seriously injured doing his flip-flap at Prems/PowerLeague whilst playing for Inter Yamam, had his name on my Yamam and Unreal Madrid shirt along with Didledee at the bottom, but wasn't allowed for Breightmet Utd or Hindley.

I've been Quaresm, Messi whilst playing in the hospital cup, Now it's Chungy when I mess about with dog in back garden, I have a bandana in the South Korean colours, I put that on and I have myself made nets, I climb on't garage and practise freekicks, sometimes I'll put a bin infront of the net and pretend it's Buffon, we have floodlights, so it can be like taking freekicks at Wembley and being Beckham.

Diddledee what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Everyone must have done it, when your a kid - in your mind's eye when you were playing, have a sort of movie reel of a player, thinking you were the living embodiement of them at that moment...

Some lads would even vocalize their internal commentary "Oh, what a beautiful goal by...."

I used to think I was Michel Platini - he could do no wrong in my eyes, how times change - fat, officious, corrupt frog twat.

Who were you? (what am I on about? I'll bet half on here who play 5-side etc. still do it :)).

We must be of a similar age - I was usually Platini in the playground, sometimes reverting to Mario Kempes whenever I bagged. Argentina '78 was a great world cup when I was a kid.

If we're going international, I should add that due to a World Cup vhs that I was bought I did have a spell as Johan Neeskens or Johnny Rep

I also used to play inside my lounge with patio windows as the goals, using a variety of sponge balls. This is where I perfected my overhead kicks as Hugo Sanchez

DD has nowt on me :)

• Site Supporter

This would be comedy gold if only you weren't 25ish and deadly serious.