Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Playground Football - Who Did You Used To 'be'?

Youri McAnespie

Guest Frandsen08

Pat Nevin, Peter Beardsley, Alex Del Piero, Tony Cottee, Duncan Ferguson and Andrei Kanchelskis.

when you were duncan ferguson, did it usually end with you twatting someone?

We must be of a similar age - I was usually Platini in the playground, sometimes reverting to Mario Kempes whenever I bagged. Argentina '78 was a great world cup when I was a kid.

You might be a bit older, first World Cup I remember was Spain '82 - for some treasonable reason, I was more partial to France than England in that one. I think it was something to do with a distaste for then England captain Bryan Robson (Munich? Always injured?).

The Platini thing stemmed from that, and Juventus were a real force in them days so that probably contributed to my admiration - I genuinely thought my play was 'Platini-esque'. I fucking hate him now - then again he is 'french' (following article: 'Platini - The English hate me because I'm French' from The Telegraph last month).

http://www.telegraph...-Im-French.html

Mexico '86 was the first World Cup were I was both avidly watching and playing/recreating the incidents with the other lads at school and in the Brooklyn Pub - usually someone would be pressurized into being Manuel Negrete :D (That isn't a euphemism btw).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

That's just brought back great memories of headers n volleys and "doing a Negrete".

Was there ever a better game than headers n volleys???

Heads n volleys

Wembley singles / doubles (the name if which will no doubt provoke debate)

All brilliant

You know what, you can shove drinking, smoking, shagging etc....my heaven would be playing these games on a school field in the sky for eternity like we did all day long at every school holiday

Fucking brilliant

I'm depressed now

I always preferred one-a-side to headers and volleys, Jules is right - jumpers for goalposts, long summer days/nights, international tournaments every two years - didn't matter what time games were played at, penalty shoot-outs, meal-making saves/tackles/dives

Fuck yer Facebook, laptops, Android phones, Beats Headphones, X-Boxlives and all that shite - a Mitre Delta or adidas Tango and an empty 2 litre pop bottle filled with water and in our day, all day entertainment was sorted.

Was there any bigger collective feeling of 'what now?' which happened when the ball got skyed onto a roof or elsewhere...'kin ell how many times one of our number risked life and limb retrieving a threadbare 'casey' :D

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Fridos were the best balls ever for playground footy.

I was always Glenn Hoddle with one of those.

More a Dave Sutton with a proper casey.

At primary we were put on them yellow sponge balls once like a load of spacs. They were top in summer, it were skills all round and no tackling (just stamp your foot on it and its going nowhere). Different story in winter when some cunt would head it when it were full of puddle water!

Also if you had a proper mitre you were probably gonna be a pro footballer, I had to make do with a black magic ball for a fiver from rushtons!

Passing & Shooting.

Grids - were you played with a stone as a ball & you each had a grid for you goal. Obviously when a goal was scored you needed a new "ball".

Then there was indoor 3-a-side in the school hall. There'd be a mat for the keeper to dive around on. The net woud be a bench on its side. The ball was a large tennis-er or one of those sponge ones. Half the time you shoot, it'd hit the mat & spin over the "bar"/bench.

Great days!

• Site Supporter

10 and you're dead.

You got varying amounts of points for different goals, if you got to 10 points the goalie would get a mild beating.

If the ball went out of play or the keeper caught it, last person to touch it went in net.

Belting.