Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A Decent Chance.

Traf

Complete blank today. Still, nice track, good day out. Winning money is just a bonus that didn't happen today! Brecan Boy turned over a 2/9 favourite in the first, my 6/1 pick in the 4.50 led for the entirity of the 2m 5f, was hampered by an unseated horse approaching the last and was beaten by a nasal hair

Good Arrows, 7/2 was more than generous.

In fact the 11/4 on offer this morning was too long for a horse that has now not been outside of the top two in 6 races at Towcester.

Watch for it reappearing.

5/2 place only at Ladbrokes.

The reason betfair's place price is so low is because unlike a traditional E/W bet, there's no losing win element to your bet if it comes 3rd.

?10 E/w today at 11/1 pays back ?32 if it gets placed only ie ?12 profit on ?20 or 1.6/1 overall

A ?20 place only bet will return more.

Obviously if it wins, you lose out.

I'd advise using Best Odds Guaranteed bookies for the E/W bets, but do separate win & place bets.

It is 1/5 odds at bookies, but betfair's place price is 2/1.

Aye, I get that, but, given that the Betfair layer doesn't necessarily have the safety net of a losing 'win' bet to offset placed runners, I'd say that was a decent price rather than the swizz Maggie suggests.

5/2 with Ladbrokes is obviously better.

What if there are two non-runners, though...

I was almost talking to myself about the non-runner thing!

It's always irked me that Rule 4 applies when the terms change for the bookie, but that there's an assumption that I'd have made the same bet in, say, a 16-runner handicap as I would in a 15-runner handicap.

Carry on!

Firstly: Stat of the Day: http://www.geegeez.co.uk/stat-day-28th-march-2012/

Secondly the 6.10 Kempton race as above:

The horse had 3 runs within a month last October/November, all over a very unsuitable 6 furlongs to get a handicap mark.

The yard has then left the horse off the track for 20 weeks waiting for the right race.

Lady Mandy is owned by Dr Marwan Koukash: a very shrewd operator and who names his better new horses after family members.

His wife's name is Mandy and the horse is entered in 3 big Tattersalls sales races.

This probably looks over optimistic for a 48-rated horse but a step up to 10 furlongs with hanagan on board should do the trick today.