Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

This Weather.....

gonzo

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Statement by minister on flood response now.

North of England definitely suffered the brunt of the effects.

Keen on learning about measures going forward. 

Stop building new houses and expecting existing drainage systems to take the hit.

7 hours ago, bolty58 said:

...especially on (well known from historical events) fucking flood plains!

Yep they built houses near me on a massive field that was flooded every single year. It’s right next to the river wyre estuary. 

So they replaced a field with water on it with concreate and just expected that water to vanish in to thin air. 

Obviously it now ends up at the next lowest point which is my fucking road.  

• Members
37 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Yep they built houses near me on a massive field that was flooded every single year. It’s right next to the river wyre estuary. 

So they replaced a field with water on it with concreate and just expected that water to vanish in to thin air. 

Obviously it now ends up at the next lowest point which is my fucking road.  

I remember watching Sky UK News reports on the bad floods in the South West a couple of years back. They were filming from the crest of some hill or other looking down on what appeared to be a massive inland lake with half submerged houses dotted through it.

Words to the effect of 'as we look out over this ancient flood plain, we can see the devastation some of these unfortunate residents have had to endure'.

I remember thinking at the time 'the answer is in what you've just said! Who the fuck builds in a historical flood plain in the first place and what kind of fucking plantpot buys them!!!???'

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

I remember watching Sky UK News reports on the bad floods in the South West a couple of years back. They were filming from the crest of some hill or other looking down on what appeared to be a massive inland lake with half submerged houses dotted through it.

Words to the effect of 'as we look out over this ancient flood plain, we can see the devastation some of these unfortunate residents have had to endure'.

I remember thinking at the time 'the answer is in what you've just said! Who the fuck builds in a historical flood plain in the first place and what kind of fucking plantpot buys them!!!???'

When we pay extortionate amounts for a solicitor who does a land search to make sure there's no mining, even though he will already know there's no mining because unless he's new to the job his records show that when he did the same search 6 months ago for a house up the street there was no mining then either, is it not part of his remit to point out the fact that its on a floodplain? 

Then, when the solicitor didn't notice, the mortgage company comes along with a surveyor to make sure their investment is secure, do they not point out that the house is on a floodplain?

Before any of that though, when someone applies for planning permission to build a few houses, do they not point out the dangers? 

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

When we pay extortionate amounts for a solicitor who does a land search to make sure there's no mining, even though he will already know there's no mining because unless he's new to the job his records show that when he did the same search 6 months ago for a house up the street there was no mining then either, is it not part of his remit to point out the fact that its on a floodplain? 

Then, when the solicitor didn't notice, the mortgage company comes along with a surveyor to make sure their investment is secure, do they not point out that the house is on a floodplain?

Before any of that though, when someone applies for planning permission to build a few houses, do they not point out the dangers? 

The Environment Agency's definition of a floodplain is different in that they usually say its an area left open to allow a river to flood. The risk of flooding is put in three categories zones 1 to 3, with 1 being the lowest risk and 3 the highest, then 3b is the floodplain and houses are a no go.

This sort of explains what can go where

what-Flood-zone-am-I-in-FlowChart-.jpg

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, gonzo said:

Stop building new houses and expecting existing drainage systems to take the hit.

In one. Thankfully a few back benchers were saying just this.

Minister was happy to chuck it back to authorities to make sure they don't allow such building.

However authorities under great pressure to build numbers of new homes in line with government targets.

Clashes are inevitable.

Plenty of flood schemes on the go and proposed for up here, but it's a case of chasing your tail.

The more land is used for building, the more issues will arise.

Another, previous debate talked about getting farmers and landowners to manage their land in such a way to help mitigate problems. In doing so some of the land is left non productive, which again doesn't marry up to an ever burgeoning population.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Bolton got a good drenching this afternoon a day before the real storm is due

Very brief and expected.

Tomorrow is supposedly dumping nearly 6 inches of rain in some places.

Also suggested this morning that another storm is on its way for next weekend!

• Site Supporter

Just arrived in Scotland. Living on an exposed part of the Galloway coastline for the next week.

The wind is unlike anything I’ve ever known. It’s painful to just stand in.

24 hours of rain like this and there’ll be some real trouble.

29 minutes ago, Spider said:

Just arrived in Scotland. Living on an exposed part of the Galloway coastline for the next week.

The wind is unlike anything I’ve ever known. It’s painful to just stand in.

24 hours of rain like this and there’ll be some real trouble.

You’re right in the firing line there on the west coast mate. Beautiful part of the world though 

• Site Supporter

The family and I are up in the lakes for a few nights staying in a wooden lodge, it isn't raining much at the moment but by fuck it's windy.

The journey up earlier was shit though, some poor lass in a Pug 206 aquaplaned near Penrith and totalled her car in the barrier, must have only been 5 mins before us. It was like a river running across the motorway.