Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

This Weather.....

gonzo

I prefer a walk up Winter Hill than Rivi & it's mostly a bit quieter.

Park in Belmont, walk towards Bolton just past San Marino Italian, turn right at obvious gate & path & follow up to the top.

At the bench at the top, (a) turn right for about 100 yds at the same height, then turn right again down hill, there is a path, & at the bottom at the end of Blue Lagoon & walk round BG back into Belmont. Just over a hour.

or (b) carry straight on past Scotch Man's stump & the mast, about 100 yds down the road, turn left at marked path & follow it across the top & gradually down onto Coal Pit Rd, Scout Rd & then back onto Belmont Rd back to Belmont. About 1 3/4 hours,

3 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

I prefer a walk up Winter Hill than Rivi & it's mostly a bit quieter.

Park in Belmont, walk towards Bolton just past San Marino Italian, turn right at obvious gate & path & follow up to the top.

At the bench at the top, (a) turn right for about 100 yds at the same height, then turn right again down hill, there is a path, & at the bottom at the end of Blue Lagoon & walk round BG back into Belmont. Just over a hour.

or (b) carry straight on past Scotch Man's stump & the mast, about 100 yds down the road, turn left at marked path & follow it across the top & gradually down onto Coal Pit Rd, Scout Rd & then back onto Belmont Rd back to Belmont. About 1 3/4 hours,

Cheers. Longer walk will suit me better so that’s ideal 

Just now, Mr Grey said:

Good news, sun out guns out tomorrow.

Just popped some moretti in the fridge, got my Johnsons baby oil at the ready, should have a top tan like George Hamilton by Wednesday 😁

Real Moretti or Aldi's Mapelli copy?

19 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

On your recommendation I may give the fake moretti a try. Mapelli does have a good ring to it.

Woah, woah, woah, not my recommendation. I've not tried it.

A couple of lads have said that it was decent for the price.

A year or so back the local shop was selling four packs of Bud Light for a cheap price, £1.99 iirc.

Fuck me, if you thought Budweiser was scraping the bottom of the barrel, then they went through the bottom and started scraping dogshit off the floor with the 'Lite' version.

Tasteless fucking awful and with no effect apart from a blinding chemical headache - instant hangover off one can.

I always thought regular 'Bud' was for 'men' who didn't really like beer if truth be told, pretty much a teeny-tiny step up from drinking blue WKDs.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

A year or so back the local shop was selling four packs of Bud Light for a cheap price, £1.99 iirc.

Fuck me, if you thought Budweiser was scraping the bottom of the barrel, then they went through the bottom and started scraping dogshit off the floor with the 'Lite' version.

Tasteless fucking awful and with no effect apart from a blinding chemical headache - instant hangover off one can.

I always thought regular 'Bud' was for 'men' who didn't really like beer if truth be told, pretty much a teeny-tiny step up from drinking blue WKDs.

Seen this a few times in local spar

Tempted and put off at the same time by the price

7 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Seen this a few times in local spar

Tempted and put off at the same time by the price

Stick to the latter instinct - truly dreadful.

Fuck knows how they make it - probably using chemicals aplenty.

All the hangover (off one pack!) Zero of the pleasure.

And yet another thread is given over to pissheadery...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUtc7H6qX6t60T_QoiE9f

Edited by Youri McAnespie

14 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Dunno why folk drink italian beer either.

Every time I've been in Italy the locals have been drinking Becks, Ceres, Carlsberg Export, Zipfer...in fact owt that ain't Peroni or Moretti.

They love their Tennents too

27 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Every time I've been in Italy the locals have been drinking Becks, Ceres, Carlsberg Export, Zipfer...in fact owt that ain't Peroni or Moretti.

I'm sure Peroni is just Italian for piss and Moretti is just re-badged Carling both are shite

• Members
8 minutes ago, dave2980 said:

I'm sure Peroni is just Italian for piss and Moretti is just re-badged Carling both are shite

Moretti and Carling are two different ends of the spectrum.

I wouldn’t use Carling to clean out the shitter, be better to drink from it 

18 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

They love their Tennents too

I read somewhere about that, probably here...

4 minutes ago, dave2980 said:

Peroni was sommat one only saw in italian restaurants over here.

Read an article somewhere that InBev - after Stella Artois got chavified were looking for a new 'marque' 'reassuringly expensive' type brand (to replace Stella) and Peroni fitted the image they wanted to project (here) so they acquired it and all of a sudden it arrives in pubs on draft and in those 660ml 'premium' bottles in the shops.

Nonwithstanding that the Italians seemingly think it's catpiss and shun it for German, Danish, Austrian, Polish, Czech etc. lagers and, it seems, Scottish Trampjuice too...

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Aye, seen this plenty in various countries

A barman and his mate took the piss when i ordered a pint of Stella in Bruges, only had it to see if it was any nicer nearer the source

Hipster US lager of choice over here is blue riband, you're looking at around £2 per small can

But over there folk proper sneer at it as it's a red neck beer of choice

Yet they go mad for Newcastle Brown

Never saw Fosters or XXXX down under either

That last bit is bollocks - Fosters is Australia's most popular beer, that's what Bolty says anyway and he should know having lived there half his life.

I knew Pabst Blue Riband was a 'blue collar' beer in the US, but thought hipsters and gutterpunks had adopted it 'ironically'...It was also Will Ferrell's character's drink of choice when he played an alky in a 'serious' role once.

I do the same with ale, try it nearer the source - Guinness in Dublin, Pilsener Urquell in Prague, Becks in Bremen etc. been sneered at also for doing so 😕