Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

This Weather.....

gonzo

• Site Supporter

Keep building on land which used to act as a soak-away and you stop anything soaking away.  The whole of middlebrook is a prime example. Once al field,  now all tarmac. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Keep building on land which used to act as a soak-away and you stop anything soaking away.  The whole of middlebrook is a prime example. Once al field,  now all tarmac. 

Yep.

Chuck in heavier rainfall as we experience global warming and its going to happen more frequently. 

16 hours ago, Winchester White said:

I don't get how that end of Horwich flooded so badly in such a short space of time? There must be summert wrong with the drains or something. 

I saw something on Facebook last night (I know, I know) where a resident was accusing the golf course of having dug channels to drain excess water off the course.  No idea how true it is.  Our old neighbours bought one of the new houses on the estate next door, where the old technical college was, they had water running right through their ground floor last night.

10 hours ago, MickyD said:

Govt should be insisting on permeable surfaces now. Been used on airports for ages.

These new resin bound driveways becoming popular instead of tarmac and block paving will help.

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, green genie said:

Govt should be insisting on permeable surfaces now. Been used on airports for ages.

These new resin bound driveways becoming popular instead of tarmac and block paving will help.

I'm fairly sure that new driveways have to have planning permission now, and that porous surfaces are part and parcel of that. Someone will know for sure.

12 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

No good for breeders like myself this weather. One minute I'm wrapped up like it's bastard December the next I'm sweating my tits off. Dunno wether I'm meant to be wearing a donkey jacket or a bikini 🙄

Off for a day out in Lancaster tomorrow seeing some old mates, in the same boat, what do you wear ?

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm fairly sure that new driveways have to have planning permission now, and that porous surfaces are part and parcel of that. Someone will know for sure.

If it’s new and using a permeable surface you don’t 

if it’s over a certain size, forget what, and it’s impermeable you do 

I suspect a lot of people have got away with not bothering with getting permission though 

• Site Supporter
Just now, DirtySanchez said:

If it’s new and using a permeable surface you don’t 

if it’s over a certain size, forget what, and it’s impermeable you do 

I suspect a lot of people have got away with not bothering with getting permission though 

Makes sense- I know our local driveway installer- good fella, does loads round here. 

Having spoken to neighbours for whom he’s worked, I doubt anyone has ever applied- and that's pre pandemic.

15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Makes sense- I know our local driveway installer- good fella, does loads round here. 

Having spoken to neighbours for whom he’s worked, I doubt anyone has ever applied- and that's pre pandemic.

Guess it comes down to knowing about it 

You could get a drive put in, not know you do need permission, neighbours don’t know and don’t say anything, council would be non the wiser 

Driveway installer might not know or turn a blind eye. Same way loads get away with building extensions etc without permission 

21 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yep.

Chuck in heavier rainfall as we experience global warming and its going to happen more frequently. 

Chucking in wet wipes down big more of an issue. Clogs drains for fun.

Should be banned until can be made readily biodegradable. 

• Members
35 minutes ago, green genie said:

Chucking in wet wipes down big more of an issue. Clogs drains for fun.

Should be banned until can be made readily biodegradable. 

I nearly stuffed our Maude down the Khazi when I caught her doing this, she said they’re flushable, I said so are cats doesn’t mean we do it. (Unless it’s crawleys cat)