Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Worst Top Flight Bolton Team Ever?

Burndens Bogs

Does it matter?

I'm not arsed about other Bolton teams in times gone by, it the current team that concerns me, and by George (not the heavy cummer with poor control) this team is grim

Edited by CWP

To be fair NB, we are quite close

Quality of players or tactics on the pitch?

The players we have aren't THAT bad, what's going on in the 90 minutes, granted, isn't great at all.

Don't tell me Tony Phillskirk'd get a game today.

Football has changed so much though, maybe the whole thread is made up of moot points.

Edited by no balls

Mark Davies is probably the worst "best" attacking central midfield player we have had in the Premier League. We went down once with Curcic and once with Frandsen/Alan Thompson who were all better players in my opinion.Central midfield is where most games are won and lost.

Some of the players are 'not that bad' but the majority are not fit to be in the Prem. Week after week, even as Coyle admits, we give the ball away too cheap and do nowhere near enough to defend as a team when we lose it. Any team that concedes one short of 40 goals at home in a season deserves nothing else other than relegation. Too many flaky, airy-fairy individuals with no bottle and no stomach for pressing and defending as a team once the ball has, (usually) been cheaply given away. The teams Coyle's turned out throughout this season are without doubt the worst since we've been back in the Prem - I give you Pratley, Boyata, Eagles and Ngog, m'lord, and rest my case

• Moderators

Mark Davies is probably the worst "best" attacking central midfield player we have had in the Premier League. We went down once with Curcic and once with Frandsen/Alan Thompson who were all better players in my opinion.Central midfield is where most games are won and lost.

so, brainbox, if you were weak in that area, you'd add another body

not fcuking coyle, though

Football has changed so much though, maybe the whole thread is made up of moot points.

It has changed, but so have football fans and society

I'll wager some reading this will have to look up the word "moot" that you've used

so, brainbox, if you were weak in that area, you'd add another body

not fcuking coyle, though

His first season Wilshire on a free in that position was the difference, last season Holden for next to nothing was the difference.This season he hasn't been able to pull a similar rabbit out of the hat.But at the end of the summer transfer window Holden was only a couple of weeks from returning.

His first season Wilshire on a free in that position was the difference, last season Holden for next to nothing was the difference.This season he hasn't been able to pull a similar rabbit out of the hat.But at the end of the summer transfer window Holden was only a couple of weeks from returning.

Yeah but he did FA about strengthening that position in the January window when the world and his wife could see that was a priority - all apart from OC that is!

The 11 that has played most of this season i think is the worst 11 apart from the 1996 relegation side. I cant stand out full backs of late but Fk me Phillips and McAnespie what a shocking premier league pairing, that was first season up though so excusable

Throw CLY and Holden back in there it becomes better than a few other seasons in the prem, 1998 for example. Hes signed some shite though, alot of top six championship/border line prem standard footballers, can carry a cpl of those in your team but not an 11 with a fair few in.

Yeah but he did FA about strengthening that position in the January window when the world and his wife could see that was a priority - all apart from OC that is!

His top priority in January was a centre half because the Chairman had let Cahill's contract run down and was desperate to sell and with Muamba and Pratley available in central midfield it was possible we could stay up without a Prem standard attacking midfield player.If Ream and Wheater had both got injured rather than Muamba and Pratley he'd be getting criticism for not signing more defenders, that's how it goes.

His top priority in January was a centre half because the Chairman had let Cahill's contract run down and was desperate to sell and with Muamba and Pratley available in central midfield it was possible we could stay up without a Prem standard attacking midfield player.If Ream and Wheater had both got injured rather than Muamba and Pratley he'd be getting criticism for not signing more defenders, that's how it goes.

The middle 2 midfielders in the Coyle formation get run into the ground. I've said it for 2 seasons now.

You've got to have fresh legs in midfield in any relegation battle and a defensive midfielder was a no 1 priority for me in January.

Not a ?3m attacker who can't even get on the bench.