Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Planners

Underpants

In some cases one lane is better than two. Since Crompton Way/Moss Bank Way got reduced from two lanes the traffic flow has been a lot better.

Must remember that next time I'm stuck behind some fcukin dying old zombie doin' 20 all the way home.Seeing as they widened the junctions at Halliwell/Blackburn Rd why the fcuk knock it down to two lanes.Nowt worse than drivin' behind dead people who insist on doing 10-15 mph lower than the speed limit,then when they get to the bit where it goes back to 2 lanes they stay in the outside lane because they're gonna turn right 10 miles down the road.Utter cnuts!!!

My favourite bit of road is Derby Street from Daubhill to Bolton University*. The Highways people, God bless 'em, have provided parking spaces for our ethnic friends all the way into town. They also provided a stop/start bus lane. If the parking bit is full of cars you have two choices: Find somewhere else or park in the middle of the bus lane therefore blocking the road. Amazingly, the yellow peril NEVER venture up that road to book any of the drivers abusing the bus lane.

*(Note: This didn't happen down Tonge Moor Road or Bury Road, what's different?)

Pssst!We can't upset the ethnic minorities can we!

• Site Supporter

You want to count yourself lucky you dont have to use Blackburn Road to get home from town. I dont know what's happened to that road recently, but the traffic from St Peters Way to Asda is worse than I've ever known. TMR is a breeze compared.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/local/9685867.Delay_anger_at____smart____traffic_light_junctions/

was in the paper a few weeks back, just a case of "fine tuning" the new clever system

Well either way It's now down to he done when the liners are in the area remarking the derby st university way junction.

See, this mentality fucks me off. They're not a painter and decorator working on mates rates for old ladies with an advert on the wall at Lidl.

When one of my customers gives me a contract he tells me when to start and when to finish. We have to juggle things around to meet those dates or dont get the job.

I wish I could say 'aye, we'll do the work but you'll have to wait until August because we're a bit busy'.

Fuck them off and get someone who wants the fucking work.

See, this mentality fucks me off. They're not a painter and decorator working on mates rates for old ladies with an advert on the wall at Lidl.

When one of my customers gives me a contract he tells me when to start and when to finish. We have to juggle things around to meet those dates or dont get the job.

I wish I could say 'aye, we'll do the work but you'll have to wait until August because we're a bit busy'.

Fuck them off and get someone who wants the fucking work.

It'll be next week, they're surfacing the rest of the junction over the weekend.

It also saves money (something we're supposed to be doing) as less than a certain amount of work is charged at a flat rate.

We had no say over the contractors at the baths as it was all handled by leisure services the right turn to stanley street being missed is one of many issues we have with that job.

Another case of "we'll do it when we can be arsed" whilst roads come to a standstill.

Fucking quangos and jobs for the boys, wrapped up in bubble wrap. Fuck em off and make folk accountable.

Can't disagree with you there.

This was the fear in our office when the councillors signed full control and ownership over to TfGM.

The lights used to be owned by the council and managed by GMUTC, now they (as part of TfGM) own the lights, cables etc etc and run them.

Bolton also lost quite a hefty funding stream from what was the GMPTE Transport Infrastructure Fund which was a pot of cash given to towns covered by GMPTE that didn't have the Metrolink to (as the name suggests) fund public transport schemes.

OK the bus station is being paid for by TfGM but they always were going to be.

Can't disagree with you there.

This was the fear in our office when the councillors signed full control and ownership over to TfGM.

The lights used to be owned by the council and managed by GMUTC, now they (as part of TfGM) own the lights, cables etc etc and run them.

Bolton also lost quite a hefty funding stream from what was the GMPTE Transport Infrastructure Fund which was a pot of cash given to towns covered by GMPTE that didn't have the Metrolink to (as the name suggests) fund public transport schemes.

OK the bus station is being paid for by TfGM but they always were going to be.

Not sure if you remember the days where the local councils had their own highways and drainage men/wimmin who had their own patch, knew it like the back of their hand, and knew what worked and what didn't.

OK, they only knew of one 7 o'clock in a day but it was miles more efficient.

It'll be next week, they're surfacing the rest of the junction over the weekend.

It also saves money (something we're supposed to be doing) as less than a certain amount of work is charged at a flat rate.

We had no say over the contractors at the baths as it was all handled by leisure services the right turn to stanley street being missed is one of many issues we have with that job.

Ah well, why didn't you say that? :D

Back to the junction in question. I travel this route often and find that straddling the two lanes activates both sensors and the lights change fairly quickly. I even reverse back and forth when its quiet to make the sensors think there's more cars queing.

Fookin rivetting I know. Best bet is to close tour eyes and put your foot down.

Makes me think has anyone else played motorway panic? Drive for as long as you can with your eyes closed and count the seconds slowly. Your fookin desperate to open your eyes when you get to 8 seconds.

• Site Supporter

I was stuck at this junction for about 10 mins last week, fucking unbelievable that it's not been sorted, especially since there was a really serious accident where a 4 year old was almost killed (critical in hospital last I heard) about 3 weeks ago. Don't know what caused the accident, but those lights are shit, also in the other direction from Beehive turning right into Middlebrook.

Alf, disgruntled, Westhoughton.

I live in Bromley Cross and work in Warrington. It takes me an hour roughly to get home, 30 mins from Warrington to the end of St Peters Way and then another 30 mins from there! I've been doing this for 10 years, I can nearly name every shop, pub, takeaway off the top of my head on that stretch from PC World to Asda.

Go on then