Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Smithills Coaching House

little whitt

• Members

Sad news. Me grandads last job was as a cellarman there after he'd retired from the CEGB. He became a well liked character there.

They used to take us on a beltin race trip every year - all expenses paid marquee job at Haydock for the Stones Best Bitter Handicap.

• Members

It's been crap for a long time now, and stuck in a 70's timewarp for about 30 years.

Still sad to see it go though.

Where am i going to go for my prawn coctail/gammon with pineapple rings/black forest gateau?

Chiringuito Arroyo, La Cala de Mijas beach. They have 2 out of 3 (no Black Forest gateau to my knowledge). HTH

Chiringuito Arroyo, La Cala de Mijas beach. They have 2 out of 3 (no Black Forest gateau to my knowledge). HTH

Sounds a bit too far to be my local eatery P.

I only live about 500 yds from Smithills coaching house, so it was handy to stroll to in my orange Jason King suit or drive up in my Jensen Interceptor if it was raining.

SCH was the last bastion of 70's dining in this town.

Whats it gonna be though?It said on the Bolton news site that there was gonna be some structural changes.Wailin' tower and a Dome perhaps or is Gary Neville gonna dig a cave under it and live there.

• Moderators

i went once, it was fucking appalling.

Whatever I ordered came with salad, even though I don't eat the stuff and asked for some potato option.

Then the chocolate mousse thing didn't have the cream and strawberry on top like the picture and had a skin about an inch thick.

I'm amazed it's lasted so long.

• Members

Sounds a bit too far to be my local eatery P.

I only live about 500 yds from Smithills coaching house, so it was handy to stroll to in my orange Jason King suit or drive up in my Jensen Interceptor if it was raining.

SCH was the last bastion of 70's dining in this town.

Due to the aforementioned family connection, me and the missus had our (staff discount) wedding reception at the sister establishment, The Lamplighter under t'Market Hall.

Certainly not memorable for the food! Night do was upstairs at The Trotters which was fcuking ace.