Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England V The Wops

miamiwhite

• Members

Where is our Pirlo? I can't remember a decent England playmaker since Gazza (but stand to be corrected).

Typical Hodgson team - hard to beat but always going to offer nothing better than mediocrity.

How the fcuk we didn't lose that 3-0 in normal time I will never know. Utterly and completely outclassed.

Edited by bolty58

You know how Rooney looked like a fully grown man when he was 16?

Might explain why he looks like a bleeding pensioner now. Mind you, he wasn't the only one - do we have the most geriatric central midfield in international football? Was painful to watch at time.

Piss poor all over the park. Content to sit back and then when we did get it could manage a 5 yard pass. Did Ashley Young find a white shirt all night?

Guest Frandsen08

i don't think he did Mick, his penalty summed his tournament up. abysmal.

i honestly thought Gerrard had been subbed in the second half he was nowhere to be seen, rooney was walking around the pitch, Andy Carroll was probably the best player.

Italy were poor, they were reduced in the first half to 35 yard shots there was a 20 min spell where i thought, these men are here for the taking. England did better than i expected and its hard not to gt wrapped up in the hype.

• Site Supporter

Caroll was the best player but, once the ball was held up, he had nobody to give the out ball. Rooney was playing like he had lead diving boots on. Caroll's lay-offs were just being lost by the recipient.

The pundits then, when Caroll opted to go it alone, questioned his thinking of taking a hopeful punt at goal instead of laying it off.

Were they watching the same game as me? Laying off to legs willing/able to run is one thing. Laying off to legs unwilling/unable to run is a different thing altogether.

Guest Frandsen08

Caroll was the best player but, once the ball was held up, he had nobody to give the out ball. Rooney was playing like he had lead diving boots on. Caroll's lay-offs were just being lost by the recipient.

The pundits then, when Caroll opted to go it alone, questioned his thinking of taking a hopeful punt at goal instead of laying it off.

Were they watching the same game as me? Laying off to legs willing/able to run is one thing. Laying off to legs unwilling/unable to run is a different thing altogether.

i Agree, what i would of done was dropped Rooney back to stop pirlo or at least slow him down and tuck walcott inside a bit so carroll can lay it off then get in the box.

The age old problem of too many shit players and not enough good ones!

We had 3 centre midfielders on the plane - Gerrard (getting on and not played 4 lots of 90 minutes in 14 days in a long time), Scott Parker (getting on and not fully fit) and Henderson (shit).

We played to our strengths in this tournament but 4 games chasing the ball showed up in the end.

Defensivly we are OK and have more depth in quality but after that we are bog average. We need a good young crop of Midfielders and attackers to come through and quick.

The likes of Wilshere, Sturridge, McCheceran, Rodwell etc just aren't breaking through

Would prefer to see a 3 man central midfield adopted, 442 only works at this level if you have two fantastic wingers and two world class central midfielders. Sadly we dont have any!

Guest Frandsen08

wilshere will be a cracking player hes had a problem with his ankle, overcome that and he'll be a world beater im sure of it, sturridge needs to be more consistent maybe move to spurs or something like that, henderson is a good player and will get better under rodgers

i Agree, what i would of done was dropped Rooney back to stop pirlo or at least slow him down and tuck walcott inside a bit so carroll can lay it off then get in the box.

Apparently that was Rooney's job and the lazy bollix gave up on it after 20 mins.

Guest Frandsen08

Apparently that was Rooney's job and the lazy bollix gave up on it after 20 mins.

he looked like he'd been on the sauce the night before

• Site Supporter

Just a small point:

I was surprised at how quickly a supposed World-Class player, Rooney, gave up the chase. Does he get tired so quickly playing for united? I can't say I've noticed but then I'd rather stick pins in my eyeballs than watch the filth unless they're playing Bolton.

That team is built for Rooney from 8 years ago.....completely different player now, system needs to change to get the best out of him.

Same for Ashley Young, he is great for United as he is allowed to do what he does best, without the defending aspect.

Parker, over rated, but shows how weak we are in that position.

Milner, meh. He was asked to play to cover Glen Johnson. He should be used as cover and back up.

Terry, finished....too slow, and the last ditch tackles prove that.

Cole, best left back we have ever had, should play for England every single time

Lescott now our best centre back.

Glan Johnson looked better, and more of the player we seen at Pompey. Still not sure defensive, as he had Milner holding his hand.

Wellbeck, meh, not bad, deserved his chance I suppose, would like to see how good he can be with creative players given some freedom around him.

Edited by Pablo

• Site Supporter

good

hart

johnson (suprisingly)

lescott

cole

gerrard

carroll

welbeck

bad

everyone else who played.

special note 1

walcott, can he actully run WITH the ball?

special note 2

rooney, should never have gone, absolute dogshit. whether that fitness or attitude i dunno. looked like both.

Guest Frandsen08

terry isn't finished, if he wasn't playing last night we would of lost by 3 or 4, still England's best center back

Where is our Pirlo? I can't remember a decent England playmaker since Gazza (but stand to be corrected).

Typical Hodgson team - hard to beat but always going to offer nothing better than mediocrity.

How the fcuk we didn't lose that 3-0 in normal time I will never know. Utterly and completely outclassed.

I watched this video in the build-up to last night's game. The 0-0 in Rome when we sealed our WC 1998 place

We actually knock it about really well. Gazza was superb that night

As far as last night goes, fuckin ell I'm starting to feel old. Its the same lines after every tournament exit.

We need midfielders who can pass and move. The only one who I have any hope for is Wilshere. Who's he gonna pass to?

Our supposed star Rooney was dreadful

Positives were Glen Johnson and Andy Carroll.

World Cup qualifying group doesn't look too taxing so I'd fire off most of the old guard and get our best young players playing together for 2 years.

Johnson Really? When you have to play a journey man of a midfielder just to give him cover? For me I'd have stuck jones there and played Walcott.

Rooney again is massively dissapointing, it's clear to see that he wasn't fit, so therefore shouldn't have been playing. If we had managed to scrape through on penalties, I hate to think what Germany might have done to us.

Like most on here I didn't think we were in with a chance of winning the tournament, I don't even mind getting knocked out if it looks like they've tried, but the way we played last night was piss poor, our players really were absolutely fucked after about 60 minutes. It really was like men against boys.

At least we can stop bothering about the England team for another two years now

After watching that clip above its plain we have gone backwards since. Hoddle was the ideal coach for England, shame about the mumbo jumbo he brought along. I think it will be another 20 years before we can see a team that can reach a semi or a final. The youth coaching has to move on from the "full size pitch, big lad, lump it up front, and get rid mentality" that still pervades.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.