Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Olympic Games

gonzo

Nadzeya-Ostapchuk-Mark-Dadswell.jpg

Can't decide if this dirty cheat, just to clear me of charges of sexism - this makes her fair game in my opinion :) looks more like Rab C Nesbitt or his missus Mary?

Conversely, how did this fine looking, drug free beauty escape the board's attention during the Games?

Archief_Foto_s_Archief_Hockey_auto_auto_c651_c370_q95_Hoog-620x352.jpg

Ellen Hoog - Dutch Hockey Team 'Striker' ;)

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

I saw Stuart Stokes this morning up Rivington. I didn't like to ask him if he was in trainnig because he didn't do all that well, but still, fair play to him for keeping it up.

He is a mate of mine, exercise is his drug. He was disappointed with his performance in London, but to put it into perspective high quality competitive athletics has been his life. A couple of years ago he had retired from the steeplechase he had been plagued with injury and his efforts in the commonwealth games in 2002 looked like it would be his stand alone achievement. He got married, now has a couple of kids and is a PE teacher, he ran a qualifying time unexpectedly earlier this year, dedicated his life (with a very patient and understanding wife!) to achieve his best, unfortunately he picked up a bit of a niggle, not unusual at 35, but felt he could still perform in London. It didn't go to plan, but on reflection he will look back and see he was involved in this special event and nobody can take that away from him. While we probably won't see him competitively on the track again, he will probably go onto triatholon or ironman, he is too fit and talented even at 35 not to carry on in some form. I maybe biased but he is a true gent a dedicated sportsman and Bolton should be proud.

He is a mate of mine, exercise is his drug. He was disappointed with his performance in London, but to put it into perspective high quality competitive athletics has been his life. A couple of years ago he had retired from the steeplechase he had been plagued with injury and his efforts in the commonwealth games in 2002 looked like it would be his stand alone achievement. He got married, now has a couple of kids and is a PE teacher, he ran a qualifying time unexpectedly earlier this year, dedicated his life (with a very patient and understanding wife!) to achieve his best, unfortunately he picked up a bit of a niggle, not unusual at 35, but felt he could still perform in London. It didn't go to plan, but on reflection he will look back and see he was involved in this special event and nobody can take that away from him. While we probably won't see him competitively on the track again, he will probably go onto triatholon or ironman, he is too fit and talented even at 35 not to carry on in some form. I maybe biased but he is a true gent a dedicated sportsman and Bolton should be proud.

Well said, Stuart!

• Site Supporter

I'm not sure if desperado thought I was taking piss as I wasn't. They were interviewing athletes after and they all said they were taking time out. Clearly he isn't.

No didn't take it as a piss take. I bet a lot of athletes have been back training since the games, they probably considered a night off as a break! They will probably have their sights set on their next competition, must be hard after the Olympics. I read this morning that the Brownlee brothers, the triathletes, are in some competition in September. Dedicated athletes, very inspiring indeed.

Look at this article on Bradley Wiggins...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/cycling/9476594/Bradley-Wiggins-celebrates-Olympic-gold-with-wine-and-cigarette-in-Majorca.html

The tone isn't accusatory, but lays the innuendo on (slideshow caption to picture 3.)

Is the Telegraph testing the water for running dirt-digging stories on those previously out of the limelight?