Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cycling

HomerJay

22 minutes ago, Spider said:

Aye

its a bit of a racetrack CNR and this protects our Lycra-clad weirdos whilst also calming the traffic a bit.

Inside knowledge - that stretch of road gets more spent on it by the landscaping division of Bolton council than the whole of Farnworth and Great Lever.

Fact.

Fair enough. Farnworth and Great Lever are shitholes

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Chorley New Road

yay or nay?

I’m a cyclist and I hate them. 

So many more problems than solutions.

- People (Cleveland’s/Bolton school mob) unbelievably still park within them onto the curb.

- The quality of the cycle path is still shite, full of potholes

- Drivers coming onto CNR treat the widened line as a line that they can drive out to.

- It’s not wide enough to overtake Dolly or Jeremy cycling at 2mph

- It traps you in making it difficult for many right turns 

- All of which means I spend more time out on the narrowed road, pissing drivers off even more.

Knock em down (the posts not the cyclists)  😊

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Speaking of poor surface- the section adjacent to Queen's Park has lines going across in breaking it up into small sections. Sounds like you're on a train when you drive along. 

I think it’s the old CNR lines coming through, if you remember them from c30 years or so ago, when CNR was a differently coloured road?

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I think it’s the old CNR lines coming through, if you remember them from c30 years or so ago, when CNR was a differently coloured road?

I can't remember, but it would make sense that something is coming through, as it seems a fairly recent phenomenon. 

As an aside, I was coming home from work one evening at that point and a dog ran out and got run over.

I pulled up quick and ran into a vet's that was conveniently there. They came out and attended to the dog.

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I can't remember, but it would make sense that something is coming through, as it seems a fairly recent phenomenon. 

As an aside, I was coming home from work one evening at that point and a dog ran out and got run over.

I pulled up quick and ran into a vet's that was conveniently there. They came out and attended to the dog.

Used to be a rust or russet colour

no idea why

• Site Supporter
On 12/03/2021 at 19:27, Spider said:

Inside knowledge - that stretch of road gets more spent on it by the landscaping division of Bolton council than the whole of Farnworth and Great Lever.

Also, another bit of inside knowledge, those nice highways folk have put slalom poles up along a large section of CNR. All you cyclists ought to try it, in and out of each consecutive bollard.

As an aside, anyone noticed that the newly widened cycle Lane starts at about Dobson Rd, near to Bolton School but the bollards don’t start until after Tudor Ave? I wonder if Bolton School objected on the grounds their presence outside would either spoil the look of the school frontage or prevent the school buses using the cycle Lane as a coach pick-up point.