Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey Tomorrow

Thorpey

Absolutly awful today. Whole team completly clueless when we have the ball at the back. Typical story of ball going from left/right back to winger. Winger facing the wrong way and having no where to go. Neither centre midfielder dropping to take control or show any interest in receiving it. Centre backs having no composure what so ever. Usually ending with it hit long to no one down the channels (this happened about 20 times) or hit 'towards' ngog and us losing it.

However, eagles played alright all things considered. Suits him having the free role off the striker. Shame that normally m.davies is stood on top of him pretty much in the effing way.

Reet, today was woeful. I think we're going to start the season really slowly again.

Defence was absymal.

Bogdan couldn't do much about the goals but distribution poor.

Mears - neat enough but I'd definitely be starting Riley ahead of him

Ricketts - poor, slow off the mark and didn't seem to read the game at all, I'd actually probably start with Alonso who did quite well and pushed forwards/linked well with Wylde when he came on

Knight - Really really poor

Mills - better than Knight, good goal line clearance

Andrews - would be my early bet for player of the season

Mark Davies - looks overweight, game passed him by, we improved when Pratley came on

Eagles - as close to a MOM as we could have today

Petrov - didn't see much of the ball

CYL - poor, didn't seem very interested at all

K. Davies - thought he actually held the ball up ok

Afobe - good movement, poor miss one on one 6 yards out, think he'll do ok

Riley - played right wing barring last 5 mins, guess Coyle just sees it as a run out.

I'd like to see more of Vela as midfield didn't impress at all today

if riley was on the right wing, where did he have lee playing?

and where's ngog gone?

Ngog went off injured after about 20 mins - back again after a collision with their defender

i think ping pong went off

Reet, today was woeful. I think we're going to start the season really slowly again.

Defence was absymal.

Bogdan couldn't do much about the goals but distribution poor.

Mears - neat enough but I'd definitely be starting Riley ahead of him

Ricketts - poor, slow off the mark and didn't seem to read the game at all, I'd actually probably start with Alonso who did quite well and pushed forwards/linked well with Wylde when he came on

Knight - Really really poor

Mills - better than Knight, good goal line clearance

Andrews - would be my early bet for player of the season

Mark Davies - looks overweight, game passed him by, we improved when Pratley came on

Eagles - as close to a MOM as we could have today

Petrov - didn't see much of the ball

CYL - poor, didn't seem very interested at all

K. Davies - thought he actually held the ball up ok

Afobe - good movement, poor miss one on one 6 yards out, think he'll do ok

Riley - played right wing barring last 5 mins, guess Coyle just sees it as a run out.

I'd like to see more of Vela as midfield didn't impress at all today

Cheers I

No suprise from most of them...

Eagles and CYL interchanged support role and right wing, meant that neither of them took responsibility for tracking back the full back. N'Gog only lasted about 15 mins whic was a shame as he's started reasonably, though still shot shy. Riley came on when CYL wasn't on pitch. CYL came off at half time for Afobe and Eagles then played right wing before Riley replaced him.

Friendly losses are acceptable when we show some form of working together and ability to execute 'moves' or 'tactics'. Showing promise.

I dont mind us conceding if its because some bugger cant be bothered to track back or because lee/mears bottles a tackle. But today we only had at the most 3 decent chances. Other than that it was chasing portsmouth around the pitch and booting the ball out of the field or waiting for andrews to foul someone...

Friendlies are not just about stamina. You get stamina from training and shuttle runs (and not getting pi55ed everynight in M.davies case - looks like david dunn now, but bigger). Friendlies are about match practice. which means playing together as a team against someone who arent your mates / the reserves. Putting set pieces into practice. Establishing how the fu*k you're going to play matches. If we get a free kick 50 yards out what do we do? If we get a throw in deep in the opposition half what do we do? When the keeper takes a goal kick what is our plan? - ave it short to mears or bang it towards ngog. and if its hit towards ngog who the f*ck is going to be looking to get it off him?

Based on today (im assuming we didnt show much in the other friendlies) we dont have answers to any of them pretty basic questions. Which is bluddy frustrating considering we've got the makings of a damn good team.

I wish Coyle would go home tonight and be thinking "5hit, why the f*ck did lee only got 1 chance to take on jon harley in the whole 45 minutes he was on the pitch?" Why did m.davies only touch the ball about twice. And then looks at the video of mears banging the ball out for a goal kick for the 20th f*cking time and think "ey up summat aint right ere".

The saving grace in all of this is that we have k.davies in back up who can make summat out anything. We dont need a plan with him on the pitch. We can just boot the bluddy thing and ignore the supposedly best midfield in the league.