Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Teachers Striker Over Pay Again

HomerJay

• Site Supporter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19544483

seems they are not happy about a 3 year pay freeze

bit of digging and it seems the average pay outside london is 21k to 31k

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6000186

you'll have to remind me of the working hours and holiday entitlement though...

• Site Supporter

I've got friends who are teachers, they have spent the last few weeks bladdered and at festivals all summer. All this bleating they do about all the prep work they have to do is crap. They get very good money for the work they do - and they know what they pay is before they decide to take on a teacher training course.

Stop moaning and teach - or get a proper job

It's not often I stick up for them, but if I was told my pay was being frozen for three years with no adjustment for inflation I'd not be best chuffed.

I doubt many people would be.

I had a pay freeze for 3 years, not happy like but more grateful still be in work. If your company, or in this case the govt, hasnt the finance to fund increases so be it.To be honest parts of the public sector i sympathise with slightly, its the unskilled/unqualified/glorified admin civil servants at job centres and dwp offices that jump on the band wagon ive definitely no time for. Flex time, 25 days a year hol plus 18 flex days, flex built up for travel, privildge days hols so they dont have open offices on xmas eve.

I've got friends who are teachers, they have spent the last few weeks bladdered and at festivals all summer. All this bleating they do about all the prep work they have to do is crap. They get very good money for the work they do - and they know what they pay is before they decide to take on a teacher training course.

proper job?

these people are entrusted to take care of and teach your children for 7 hours a day.

• Site Supporter

And what do you do with your time off

I had a pay freeze for 3 years, not happy like but more grateful still be in work.

Were you told in advance that your pay would be frozen for that period?

Look, don't get me wrong, if there's no money in the kitty then there's no money in the kitty but to simply say to them that they've got a piece-of-piss job and they should be grateful regardless isn't right IMO.

• Site Supporter

unless your ability or responsibility has changed, why should you?

unless you were at the arse end of the scale for some other reason?

i usually set on their contract that the annual increase for 5 years will be £x

keeps them interested and if/when they leave, we go back down to basic for the replacement.

no arguments then.

Were you told in advance that your pay would be frozen for that period?

Look, don't get me wrong, if there's no money in the kitty then there's no money in the kitty but to simply say to them that they've got a piece-of-piss job and they should be grateful regardless isn't right IMO.

Nope not in 1 go, every April when it came to pay review time they said no increases this year.I had sick pay when i first started in 2003 but about a year in they took that off everyone who had started with them, the majority of staff at this time had transferred across from another company and they kept their sick pay. Its strange in here really, someone opposite me has sick pay, 4 weeks a year redundancy and 15 min breaks. I get no sick pay (after they took it off me), no breaks and my redundancy terms are whatever the basic is (week/week an a half a year) and we're doing same job. Ah well, you win some you lose some

unless your ability or responsibility has changed, why should you?

Absolutely no reason. It just seems to be the done thing by the large companies in the chemical indusrty, going back to the old days of ICI. That is why there are so many people here who will never leave as they've been here for 40 years and are massively overpaid.

Having said that, we make large profits each year so everyone is happy.

• Site Supporter

Absolutely no reason. It just seems to be the done thing by the large companies in the chemical indusrty, going back to the old days of ICI. That is why there are so many people here who will never leave as they've been here for 40 years and are massively overpaid.

Having said that, we make large profits each year so everyone is happy.

see, you understand that. an im sure millions of others do.

those who dont, are dicks (for the want of a better description)

teachers get on my nerves big time, I know a couple that say they have the hardest / most stressful job in the world teaching kids and rightly deserve 12 weeks off and to retire at 60 on final salary.

My response "FUCK OFF"! Just becasue you work with children, dont asume you have the most stressful job. Stress wise I would rather teach than be in a job were you have a good chance of being laid off and have no income.

I read somewhere that something pathetic like 10 teachers have been sacked in the last 10 years, out of tens of thousands of them only 10 have been sacked? I aint having it that such a small percentage are shit and my Mum a governor admits you cannot sack the fuckers, shit or not.

The job is safe as houses and you get 12 weeks a year off, stop fucking moaning. The best bit is they have 6 weeks off and the first day back they have a fucking staff training day!