Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ye Old Man & Scythe : Has Closed

wovlad

Nice

Seven workers at the Churchgate pub received text messages this morning saying they were redundant.

I think Micky is right, Friday and Saturday it's rammed, but it probably takes next to cock all during the week. The cost of ale and no doubt the rates they had to pay were obviously too much. It's an all to common occurance these days unfortunately

There's a fine line between being a olde style pub and being a dive, I think the Scythe had become the latter.

Hopefully someone can get it open and profitable again, hopefully not one of the punch tavern style twats that aren't helping the pub trade.

You are correct. Last time I went in was a couple of years ago with some of the nobs on here. It really was a smelly hole and I thought at the time, it could be so much nicer.

Bolton Town Centre supping is a grim affair. We used to get the taxi/train from Scotts after the match and stay in town till we could sup no more.

Now, we stay in Scotts, then go back to HTown and have plenty of pubs to have a stab at without the fear of getting stabbed, touched up by an East European, asked "what are you looking at?" by some slag whos outfit must've been in the tumble dryer too long, or have to pay a 20 quid taxi fare home.

I'm sure other folk from outlying areas do the same thing too.

Sad news.Might have been a shithole but it did have a bit of character,also thats another live music venue down the pan.As Frank pointed out it will be a shame if one of the Punch tavern type of organisations get hold of it.Think I shall be trying Horwich myself in future because Bolton town centre really is the pits pub wise.

I'm only going off a extremely reliable source on my FB :)

The real story?

Some young lads from, wait for it, Bolton, came into a couple of pubs giving it the big licks.

They left in an ambulance & paddy wagon, we carried on supping and that that was that. Smiffs was also a witness.

Don't you just love FB.

I heard it all started when Horwicher kicked some saw dust up off the floor with his rigger boots on at a smartly dress Boltonian :)

That'd be a bit difficult on carpet, but do carry on.

Your'e just bitter because the only pub near you is shutting.