Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Glasgow And Edinburgh

Crawley

Going to a wedding in Glasgow next week (and yes it is a gay one before anyone asks) spending a couple of days up there in both cities. Any recommendations for drinking holes? The do is at a place called the Universal just off Suchiehall but I'd also like to see some of the city as I'm not there with work at last.

You can't go wrong in Edinburgh. Rose Street is chock full of good pubs. Just off the Royal Mile on South Bridge Street is a 24 hour ale den with live music every night called Whistle Binkies. Head out of there and and turn left down there towards Nicholson Street, loads of boozers down there. Eat at the Mosque Kitchen. Could cure African famine on a tenner.

I would move to Edinburgh without any hesitation whatsoever.

I agree. 90% of Glasgow is a toilet, the other 10% is rather good. Stick to the Merchant City and the West End.

Try the Ubiquitous Chip in Ashton Lane (West End) for good food and three good bars plus smoking terrace or Stravaigin on Gibson Street. Oran Mor on Byres Road is a good late night option.

Cafe Gandolfi and the bar above in the Merchant City are a Glasgow institutution. Otherwise try Babbity Bowsters or anywhere in Merchant Square.

HTH, JSL, HBAYT etc

You can't go wrong in Edinburgh. Rose Street is chock full of good pubs. Just off the Royal Mile on South Bridge Street is a 24 hour ale den with live music every night called Whistle Binkies. Head out of there and and turn left down there towards Nicholson Street, loads of boozers down there. Eat at the Mosque Kitchen. Could cure African famine on a tenner.

I would move to Edinburgh without any hesitation whatsoever.

I am off to Edinburgh at the weekend so cheers for this!

• 2 months later...

Just had a weekend break in Edinburgh. Top, top city. Loved it. Bit of everything going on. Great sightseeing, tons and tons of pubs and bars. Plenty of eateries. Got on Rose Street on the Friday night, ended up in a downstairs bar called "Amber Rose" - live guitarist who played everything from Jackie Wilson to the Darkness and Mumford & Sons to The Beatles. Did Stones, 60s, 70s, bit of indie stuff... a great version of U2's One that went into Marley's One Love and then after a cheeky request from my good self - a great version of I Am The Resurrection. Top song was possibly Town Called Malice that got the place rocking. But N-Trances Set You Free was pretty good for acoustic!

Spent the Saturday night in the West End at a restaurant called The Mulroy - proper posh jobbie. Good food as well. Thought I might need a kebab afterwards, but was pleasantly filled.

Did the usual Castle sightseeing plus The Real Mary Kings Close (which was a bit average).

Did BUPA Edinburgh 10k in October. Stayed at Premier Inn on Princess Street for 3 nights and room we had was facing Castle. Great city. Rose Street which is street up from Princess Street is where it is at pubs restaurants galore.Did dungeon royal mile castle. Love the place. Return visit is on the cards.