Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Why Do We Concede So Many Goals?

onlyoneawalker

• Site Supporter

its not mears fault he's shit, its the fault of his gloves when its still 10c

bloody fanny

anyway, shit or not. he is good enough in this league.

franny is right with his synopsis.

basically we need fukcin coaching.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd say one

think it was him who completely missed the low corner taht led to the penalty at sheffield

might've been ngog, tho!

anyway, defensively, he's not been atrocious

i've been surprised at how poor he is going forward, but thats hardly a priority

Pick any prize from the top shelf.

Hes been at fault for fewer goals than everyone of our defenders. Hes also the only one to have played every game.

And your formula for plugging our leaky defence would be?

The rational behind the three choices I made that you have referred to are bogdan is costing us goals and lonergan is proven at this level if he were fit obviously - Riley has looked a good solid defender when he played mears has been pretty woeful this year and Wylde would add better defensive cover in the mould of a Matty Taylor yes we'd lose petrovs forward play but we have got to get a more solid midfield chungy does the dirty work on the right to, eagles is our top scorer and playing very well - we've got to start making some sacrifices in attacking areas don't we?

Riley played well on his debut against Stoke, was piss poor at West Brom and then contributed next to nothing in a 20-minute cameo at Old Trafford. He did okay against Macclesfield, but they're in the Conference now so I'd not be getting too giddy about that.

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest you haven't seen much of Lonergan in the last couple of seasons. Nor have I, but then I'm not suggesting he's the saviour. I did see him ship seven against a shit Nottingham Forest side, though I wouldn't want to judge him solely on that.

Wylde is yet to kick a ball in English football and has only made our bench three times in our opening 13 matches - I'm guessing he isn't the answer either.

Your "rational" doesn't really stand up, as it assumes players who are nowhere near the first team are better than the ones who are currently deemed culpable.

Guest Frandsen08

need to defend as a team all over the pitch from the forwards to the keeper, its lapses in concentration which is why we are conceding so many, not mentally strong enough.

Taking reputations out of it? I think Ream has been dire in the main this season when hes played, Mills aint been great. Knight has probably been the best of the centre backs but he doesnt fill me with confidence.

Plus as some others have said the centre midfield dont cover them proper, we rarely have a correct shape when not in the possession of the ball. Some of the goals weve conceded, wolves first one an example, from simple runs from centre mid and slipped through balls have been hideous defending.

1 clean sheet in 50 odd away games (granted most in the prem) tells me theres something majorly wrong with the defending, be that individuals at the back, defending as a unit from the front, or a combination of factors

Riley played well on his debut against Stoke, was piss poor at West Brom and then contributed next to nothing in a 20-minute cameo at Old Trafford. He did okay against Macclesfield, but they're in the Conference now so I'd not be getting too giddy about that.

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest you haven't seen much of Lonergan in the last couple of seasons. Nor have I, but then I'm not suggesting he's the saviour. I did see him ship seven against a shit Nottingham Forest side, though I wouldn't want to judge him solely on that.

Wylde is yet to kick a ball in English football and has only made our bench three times in our opening 13 matches - I'm guessing he isn't the answer either.

Your "rational" doesn't really stand up, as it assumes players who are nowhere near the first team are better than the ones who are currently deemed culpable.

Is it not more rational than doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome?

Pick any prize from the top shelf.

Hes been at fault for fewer goals than everyone of our defenders. Hes also the only one to have played every game.

He was piss poor on Saturday though Garrp

Though I thought Ream was worse

Our goal conceding problem is far from exclusively the defence's fault, but I've yet to see a compelling argument for Mears' qualities....

need to defend as a team all over the pitch from the forwards to the keeper, its lapses in concentration which is why we are conceding so many, not mentally strong enough.

Correct! I would only add that we have too many players of the type that are useless when we are not in possession, luxury players like Chungy, mavies, petrov and eagles cannot be accomodated in the same side, they simply don't work hard enough and leave the defenders exposed. Then add to that Coyle bought defenders such as the likes of mears who are good going forward but cant defend and leave our mediocre centre halves and goalie exposed.

I tell ya its mid table to bottom half no matter who the manager is until these lot are shipped out, Coyle has a lot to answer for.

Though I thought Ream was worse

Our goal conceding problem is far from exclusively the defence's fault, but I've yet to see a compelling argument for Mears' qualities....

Ream has some talent and pace, but he needs an awful ot of coaching especially on heading. Second goal on Sat he was facing his own goal from a cross from the touchline to about 10 yards out. You aren't going to head clear from that position.

We are so shit at defending because of the transition from attack to defence when we lose the ball....That's what Dougie just said on radio Manchester :blum:

so in other words when donkey davies loses possession, nobody has a fucking clue who to mark or how to track back basically

• Site Supporter

We are so shit at defending because of the transition from attack to defence when we lose the ball....That's what Dougie just said on radio Manchester :blum:

Thought he spoke a lot of sense

He suggested Sordell should be playing more but also intimated some of the youngster's difficulties- perhaps those listed elsewhere on here!