Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Muamba Podcast

kaydan

• Site Supporter

Daughter bought his biography yesterday. Autobiography it isn't, they even say in the first couple of pages that it was all written by a Mirror Sports Media journo.

Lump in the throat stuff it most definitely is though. I skipped forwards to his thoughts on seeing the footage of his collapse and he describes his thoughts when he realised the whole ground was chanting his name.

See, I'm even choking up typing!

I'm not surprised by that in the slightest, the fact he wasn't getting game time, when everybody it seemed (except the manager) could see we were a better team with him in it must have caused him a load of confusion. I have no doubt if he was still fit and well, and the heart attack hadn't happened, that he would have been sold this past summer.

I think I must be becoming a heartless miserable fucker as I'm getting a bit bored with it all now.........

Me too a bit, but fair play re the book as that's a good way to put a line under everything and move on, either with a career outside of footie or to go and get some coaching badges if he wants to stay in. Not really paid much attention to the book publicity to be honest, is it a charity thing? Hopefully the Heart Foundation are getting a chunk of the proceeds.

If he doesn't move on. he risks drifting into the world of minor celeb, which would make it harder to be taken seriously if he wants to move into coaching later. Good luck with the book, which will hopefully raise awareness of a serious condition. But personally I hope it's the end of a chapter, with a new one kicking off next year.

The ironic thing is that not being a first team regular may have saved his life. I mean, had he been then he probably wouldn't have played in that game ... which meant his heart could've stopped elsewhere ... and that could well have meant he wouldn't have woken up again.

All ifs, buts and maybes, but ultimately, and against all odds, he's still here with a family he loves very much and a bright future ahead of him. I'll never tire of seeing his smiling face,

• Moderators

The ironic thing is that not being a first team regular may have saved his life. I mean, had he been then he probably wouldn't have played in that game ... which meant his heart could've stopped elsewhere ... and that could well have meant he wouldn't have woken up again.

All ifs, buts and maybes, but ultimately, and against all odds, he's still here with a family he loves very much and a bright future ahead of him. I'll never tire of seeing his smiling face,

wonder if shit like that happens from stress and what not - ie had he been happy calm and settled in the squad, was their less chance of it happening? does anxiety + running around alot make you more prone?

“I knew that I had a big point to prove. Perhaps I had one last chance to show the boss that I could be a part of his plans at this club I loved"

Blaming OC?

I think he's a cunt saying that.

There's no need, especially after Coyles unequivocal suport, understanding and personal sacrafice in that situation I think any selection issues should have been put to bed. The club acted with great dignity and the whole issue affected the club during a critical time of the season. To now say he was about to leave to flog a few more books lacks respect, honest or not.

Shows the club had more dignity and were more honourable than the person they were caring about.