Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Market Place/bolton Town Centre/rant Page.

Horwich

Ian Duncan-Smith was in Costa the other day, WTF? Some union bellend hurling abuse. Aye, your lot did such a sterling job, lets keep them in.

The solution to all our ills seems to be "spend more money"

Which is OK if it's yours to spend

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Laughable, they could just read WW and get all that for free.

"The report said retail should be focused on a smaller area around Bolton market and town centre shopping centres"

"It called for improvements to Newport Street"

Meanwhile, "It also said transport links were good — highlighting a 12 minute train service to Manchester". I'd love to know what drugs they are on.

Morris rams his beak in, I'll bet he's rubbing his hands at the prospect of dishing out our money to his mates.

Where's that cartoon jpg of a simpleton bolting a stable door, with a horse galloping over hills - heading off into the sunset?

Was in town monday, noticed that the old Argos building was shut (Salvation Army charity shop) the Edwin P Lees building (Shylock Payday advances) and B+M bargains had all closed for business. Is this something to do with the new transport hub? If not, it's a rum do, when three of the better represented 'retail' sectors in the town (charity shops, money lenders and £1 shops) are now closing down.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Is there not plenty of already empty office space bark street springs to mind? Does Bolton really have a huge student population, I thought most lived in Manchester? I want town to improve as much as the next person, I just fear its to late and the damage is done.

Meanwhile, the results of a recent study commissoned by Bolton Council regarding the health of the office plant (pictured below) have today been submitted.

dead_plant1.jpg

The Greater Manchester 'Green Shoots' Horticulture Project Group's findings concluded a three point course of action would best suit the survival of the plant, summarised as;

* Move it to a lighter area, such as a west -facing windowsill.

* Add water to the saucer the plantpot stands on, every other day.

* Pop to a garden centre and buy a bottle of 'Baby Bio'.

A Bolton Council spokesman said today, "We will be delighted to implement these suggested measures when our final budgets for 2014 have been drawn up later this year."

Where's that cartoon jpg of a simpleton bolting a stable door, with a horse galloping over hills - heading off into the sunset?

Was in town monday, noticed that the old Argos building was shut (Salvation Army charity shop) the Edwin P Lees building (Shylock Payday advances) and B+M bargains had all closed for business. Is this something to do with the new transport hub? If not, it's a rum do, when three of the better represented 'retail' sectors in the town (charity shops, money lenders and £1 shops) are now closing down.

Dunno about the others but B & M bargains is now in what used to be focus on Manchester Road

Dunno about the others but B & M bargains is now in what used to be focus on Manchester Road

They had two though - one down near Burnden (old Glynn Webb) and the one in town, I suppose the old Focus is bigger thus dispensing with the 'need' for two stores.

This image may explain why they've shut, but the area in question is still a bit oblique - I hope they're not demolishing Rice 'n' Three - it's the only thing worth lingering in town for...

2153332.jpg?type=articleLandscape

I hope they're not demolishing Rice 'n' Three - it's the only thing worth lingering in town for...

They were definitely earmarked for the boot but last time I spoke to them about it they hadn't heard anything for ages.

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed.

Perhaps they'll be at the forefront of the shift towards "ethnically diverse town centre businesses such as restaurants and cafes".

Until then, you'll have to get yourself up to Deane Road for your fix.

They had two though - one down near Burnden (old Glynn Webb) and the one in town, I suppose the old Focus is bigger thus dispensing with the 'need' for two stores.

This image may explain why they've shut, but the area in question is still a bit oblique - I hope they're not demolishing Rice 'n' Three - it's the only thing worth lingering in town for...

2153332.jpg?type=articleLandscape

Years ago we used to have a stationary suppiler, who was based in Kent somehere, but specifically came to Bolton so he could go eat at Rice n Three, hed called in there once while visiting his wifes family, but he reckoned it was worth the drive.

perhaps someone should tell Rice'n'Three

http://www.bolton.go...nterchange.aspx

Delivery timescales
  • Planning Permission granted: March 2012
  • Compulsory Purchase powers are confirmed and all land and property required for the development will be in Council ownership on 3rd April 2013
  • Construction on the interchange is scheduled to commence in summer 2013 and be operational in early 2015

8516445868_66f12bc912.jpg

Another Hotel - magic!

Like Enzo mentions there's a sister (or should that be brother?) restaurant on Deane Road, it was foresighted of them to set up here (used to be 'Chilli Magic' briefly, which was also pretty good) and so it goes - another reason people specifically came into town for (like someone else mentions) disappears in the name of 'progress'.

All the new interchange will facilitate is a quicker escape to Manchester or Bury.

Laughable. The report suggests the need for more independent retailers. Didn't someone make a decision to modernise the market hall and price out the independents. Useless the lot of them

Went to Bury Market last Saturday and even though I despise shopping it was fucking ace, fucking chocka, and fucking cheap.

Couple of weeks before, went to Bolton Market Place and most of it was either shut, empty, or derelict.

I see why the new exchange is required, its to get folk to Bury.

• Site Supporter

I can think of no reason why I would ever need to go shopping in bolton town centre.

They could build shops made of gold giving away free champagne, but as long as the hoardes of unwashed, fat human wreckage are shuffling around the place, I'm not interested in going.