Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Market Place/bolton Town Centre/rant Page.

Horwich

The thing with the Market Hall/Market Place - they're allowing small stalls in there again, they must be turning a small profit.

The likes of H+M and Zara, they're probably tied into a lease agreement, they probably expanded into Bolton to have a 'presence'. I guarantee they won't hang around though if they're losing money hand over fist. Burtons soon upped sticks and pissed off.

Then what? If Debenhams decided enough was enough, or M&S, that'd be it...Beyond repair.

I can't believe how things have declined in this town since a 'rennaissance' period around 1995/1996. Whilst Bury has been on the up. People would come into Bolton if there was a 'draw', they did in the past, they won't come in when there's fuck all there.

The pubs? Fucking hell, they should just get some stainless steel piss-stones from the empty pubs - stick 'em on the bars like troughs and fill them with blue-coloured ethanol - charge people £10 admission all you can drink...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

We honestly believe if we'd kept it as it was, ie old style market hall with niche shops selling sweets, cotton or piping bags, probably turning over £80 a day at max, then everything would be grand? Not having that.

With regards to bury. What's the living situation there? What % of people live or work within 5 miles of the rock? I dare say its a lot more than Bolton. Bolton is a large town but with the majority of people living outside it. Bolton doesn't really have a large amount of people working in the town centre either.

Thats it, the market hall and old market should not have been changed, there were lots of people complaining at the time about it.

Sorry but Bury is what present day Bolton should be like, we had a head start in the 80's and fucked it up.

With regards to bury. What's the living situation there? What % of people live or work within 5 miles of the rock? I dare say its a lot more than Bolton. Bolton is a large town but with the majority of people living outside it. Bolton doesn't really have a large amount of people working in the town centre either.

Biggest in Europe.

• Site Supporter

The market hall was a facility where small businesses had somewhere to trade and shoppers had lots of variety under one roof. Having a large Debenhams the other side was a bonus for the stall holders but the council knows best.

The annoying thing is, not a single councillor will come out and admit they fucked up.

The original plan for the town centre was to build a Trafford Centre esque shopping centre on the back of the Victoria Halls. It would have taken up the majority of the car park area behind. That was back in the late 90's when I was a lowly burger flipper. What made them shelve the plans I'm not sure

I'm sure I've not made this up, but didn't there used to be a cobblers and a goth shop in the market hall ?

Towns been shit since they got rid of those water fountains and concrete elephants with broke trunks.

There's too many bucket shakers wanting a quick minute and window lickers eating pasties on them benches.

Also they should ban those coffee shops in the north, for fruits.

Turning town into a big piss stinking jumble sale would be an improvement. Rummaging is the future.

There's a aweet shoppe in Htown and that's been open for a couple of years. I've never been in but I've been past and it has all the jars along a wall old school stylee. Folk must use it if it's still open though unless it's a front.

I think I might go in this weekend