Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Market Place/bolton Town Centre/rant Page.

Horwich

• Moderators

It's quicker to get to Trafford Centre for most people in Bolton. And it's indoor.

I want something from Bolton town centre, the bus would cost that much it's prohibitive, don't want to park on a multi-storey, can't be bothered parking out of town and walking.

I have an amusing story I was told of a couple from HTown who went to Blackpool for their holibobs which is bad enough as it is, but I think they were old & old people do that sort of thing. Hanyhow, they went on one of those mystery coach trips.

Imagine their surprise when the coach pitched up at the Barn. :D

Same thing happened to my Nanna - went on a break to Blackpool on a coach with church. It pissed it down all the time so they organised a few days out. First one to Oswaldtwistle Mills, second one - Last Drop (she lives 10 mins walk away).

It's quicker to get to Trafford Centre for most people in Bolton. And it's indoor.

I want something from Bolton town centre, the bus would cost that much it's prohibitive, don't want to park on a multi-storey, can't be bothered parking out of town and walking.

Isn't there a two storey car park on Middlebrook now, there's something on two levels on the car park.Taxing the Middlebrook businesses to provide free parking in Bolton and free buses into Bolton is the sort of stuff i'm suggesting to kill Middlesbrook

Two isn't really multi is it, and the few steps don't smell of piss or tramps. The upper parking is really only used and was done so that those using the food places on that floor have more convenient parking.

See it's the little things like it not being a dump that make it an attraction to people from further than Bolton too.

I dont see how killing middlebrook is going to mean everyone switching back into town.

Horwich town centre still has small local shops trading, a good restaurant scene, so you think that would have suffered more than it has if Middlebrook is to blame.

Back in the day there was a Tesco on that site, everything else was in Bolton.Kill it all on Middlebrook and most of it will move back to Bolton.There's a good sized population in Bolton but not enough to support a vibrant Middlebrook and vibrant town centre.It's either or.

For Newport Street you've got the poor areas of Manchester City centre round Piccadilly Gardens but like Bolton there are more upmarket areas of the centre.

i don't think it matters what you do or don't do to Middlebrook with regards to Bolton Town Centre, I honestly believe that it's damaged beyond repair. If Middlebrook went, I think folk would just go and do their shopping in Wigan, Bury or Trafford Centre as I don't see any of the major retailors wanting to go back to Bolton at all

Middlebrook is killing the town centre . The council have it in their power to kill the Middlebrook.They should aggressively use that power.

The people who choose to shop there are killing it.

But can anyone blame them for wanting to shop there than Bolton town centre?

Why on earth would anyone want to go to M&S, Boots, or Argos in town when they can go to Middlebrook for free and not be pestered by fucking immigrants and pisspot ferals?

It's about choice, if Bolton was better than Middlebrook then people would go there. They dont, because it's shit. If they shut Middlebrook they're just as likely to go to Bury, Westbrook, Wiggin, or the Trafford Centre because they are better environments for shopping.

Regarding finance and tax, if you're happy for Bolton Corpy to lose the business rates from 1 of the 2 M&S stores in town, plus Boots, plus Argos etc etc then you wont be complaining when your Counci Tax goes up.

• Moderators

I go to Argos (if I absolutely have to) in town, near Sainsbury's. Sorted. And there's a Boots there.

People who use Middlebrook are just as likely to not be from Bolton, the M61 making it more accessible for them than it is for me.

i don't think it matters what you do or don't do to Middlebrook with regards to Bolton Town Centre, I honestly believe that it's damaged beyond repair. If Middlebrook went, I think folk would just go and do their shopping in Wigan, Bury or Trafford Centre as I don't see any of the major retailors wanting to go back to Bolton at all

Bolton should have more going for it than Wigan or Bury.We have a population over quarter of a million, not that long ago 2 of the 3 MPs were Tory so it's not like it's Barnsley or something.Why wouldn't retailers want to be in the heart of a bustling big town centre.They want to be at Middlebrook to make money.

Blackburn 'Mall' (God I hate that word) used to be a real shithole. It pains me to admit it but they have done a bloody good job of turning it into somewhere actually worth visiting. Still loads of the dregs of society wandering around but no surprises there...

Agree with that - putting the market under the new shopping centre extension was a master stroke - it really has revitalised the town centre. I would suggest that Blackburn Market now rivals Bury Market as one of the best in the region. Bolton Council could learn something from our 6 fingered neighbours.

Wigan and Bury have both had to compete with the TC and look at what they have done. There are also numerous retail parks around these towns as well.

Bolton is shit becuase the Council has let it become so.

They can invite developers to the dinner table to regenerate the town just as Bury and Wigan did.

That foresight and investment sets of a chain of events for further regenration and further investment.

Sitting there thinking Whitakers is the mecca for shit frocks and overpriced handbags is never going to be sustainable.

I go to Argos (if I absolutely have to) in town, near Sainsbury's. Sorted. And there's a Boots there.

People who use Middlebrook are just as likely to not be from Bolton, the M61 making it more accessible for them than it is for me.

Loads of Preston, Burnley and Blackburn folk use the Middlebrook. I'm no economist but i reckon it'd not be a good move by Bolton council to shut it down thus losing the income these people spend there.

Wigan and Bury have both had to compete with the TC and look at what they have done. There are also numerous retail parks around these towns as well.

Bolton is shit becuase the Council has let it become so.

They can invite developers to the dinner table to regenerate the town just as Bury and Wigan did.

That foresight and investment sets of a chain of events for further regenration and further investment.

Sitting there thinking Whitakers is the mecca for shit frocks and overpriced handbags is never going to be sustainable.

I think you are spot on!

This fiddling while Rome burns, am I alone in thinking it's going to lead to a whole new load of 'fiddling' in the future?

Could it possibly be a case of willful neglect leading to then what, who knows - possibly a 'regeneration' with lots of brown envelopes flying about?

Edit: I've been fastest fingered by Smiffs - that'll learn me to try combining doing work and posting on here.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Plan for town centre;

The new interchange is in progress - get them fucking shops renovated or flattened (Gateway to Bolton).

Demolish the shithole Newport Street 'Parade' and move the Market there.

Incentivise Victoria Square traders to move to make way for a 'food quarter' (with outside facilities) - incentivise food retailers to move there.

Demolish the now 'old market' and bus station - create a vast free or low cost car park there.

Try and reduce the size of the town centre by encouraging residential development on the outskirts and discouraging commerce. (I'm particularly thinking of the shitty rows like top end of Deansgate, bottom end of Bradshawgate.

Reet Clifford, I'll expect a hefty sum for that consultation. Manila Brown as usual. ;)

Edited by Youri McAnespie