Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Getting Found Guilty And Sent Down, Then Proven Innocent And Not Getting Compensation

Smiffs

Can the C.P.S. prove his guilt beyond all reasonable doubt? No.

Free him.

Can Barry George's Q.C. prove his innocence beyond all reasonable doubt? No.

But no compo.

In other words - 'we still reckon he did it...'

In cases like this the police often make the telling statement:

"We are not looking for any other suspects in relation to the murder of..."

Edited by Youri McAnespie

His problem is he isn't very important.If he was a Lord he'd get a 185k payout for the BBC wrongly calling him a paedo.

What price do you put on being 'outed' as a nonce, when even the victim immediately said "That's not him!" and later apologised in person? I believe the peer in question donated the damages to Children in Need. This wasn't a case of no smoke without fire, or unproven allegations - it was genuine mistaken identity. Incidentally, he's the individual who was preparing a case against each and every Twitter twit who forwarded Sally Bercow's Tweet - £5 each I think was the damages sought. I think it was ITV as well, not BBC.

In the case of Barry George, the case was flawed, so the verdict was thrown out, yet there's no clear evidence that exonerates him. Hence no compensation.

He has won libel damages in the past from Murdoch and The Mirror Group, substantial ones, if reports are to be believed. So he's not short of a bob or two. Google his police record - he's still relatively young, I'd wager we haven't heard the last of him. Although some people will probably think he's been fit up 'again'.

Another High Court hearing for wrongful imprisonment compensation, that of the brazenly named Ian Lawless, was judged in his favour. He did eight years, he'll get anything from £100k to the upper limit of £500k.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Moderators

my understanding there is, this test, the judge has said you're not having any cash because to be honest, we did all actually think you were guilty first time around, and just because it turns out you weren't, doesn't mean it was wrong to send you down

harsh

There were 5 test cases for new rules on comp. One of them was someone who confessed to a crime but has now been released because 'he had a pathological need for attention' and he's actually going to be compensated.

Apparently it's the tax payers fault when some mental admits to a crime, has a few years bed and breakfast at our expense and then realises it was all a bit of a mistake.

The not proven guilty, not proven innocent position feels very uncomfortable given the legal presumption of innocence, but I really can't see any case for compensating someone who freely made a confession.