Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Star Wars 7

superjohnmcginlay

My nephew is 5 and is as obsessed with star wars now as I was when I was 5...and maybe am now! :D

Therein lies the rub! Its childish Sci Fi aimed at little boys. It took over from cowboys and indians.  Humanising aliens with personalities based on racial lines just does not do it for me and its all too "clean cut" for my liking.

Therein lies the rub! Its childish Sci Fi aimed at little boys. It took over from cowboys and indians. Humanising aliens with personalities based on racial lines just does not do it for me and its all too "clean cut" for my liking.

How many adults still play Cowboys and Indians

Yet how many grown ups stay into Star Wars?

• Members

Ryan, FFS, now the Liverpool horse shit has passed the amusement phase for you I supposed you had to find something else. What next? Anti Fascist League?

Have a plus one NIC. Absolutely spot on. BGOEFC is obviously a connoisseur of the finer things in life but we knew that from his appreciation of stocking and suspenders  :D

Jules - I don't mind the escapism of Star Wars at all. Does not, in any way, shape or form deserve to even be in the same sentence as a work of classic literary genius like Tolkiens The Lord Of The Rings. Star Wars is kindergarten stuff by comparison (and I stress that I don't mind it at all).

For some reason the term 'Casting pearls before swine' comes to mind.

Ryan, FFS, now the Liverpool horse shit has passed the amusement phase for you I supposed you had to find something else. What next? Anti Fascist League?

Have a plus one NIC. Absolutely spot on. BGOEFC is obviously a connoisseur of the finer things in life but we knew that from his appreciation of stocking and suspenders :D

Jules - I don't mind the escapism of Star Wars at all. Does not, in any way, shape or form deserve to even be in the same sentence as a work of classic literary genius like Tolkiens The Lord Of The Rings. Star Wars is kindergarten stuff by comparison (and I stress that I don't mind it at all).

For some reason the term 'Casting pearls before swine' comes to mind.

Bolty, you've fallen in to the same trap as Crawley IMO

Tolkien may be a literary genius, but Star Wars is genius in its own way too; it's just too "current" for you to appreciate it in that way.

As I said earlier, in 100 years it will be viewed differently.

In the same way that Lionel Messi is a genius and so was Einstein.

Edited by jules_darby

I don't think anyone is saying Star Wars doesn't have cultural importance or that it's not enjoyable, but its really not in the same category as LotR and that's got nothing to do with it being released on 1977, it will continued to be enjoyed by future generations due to the new signing with Disney and indeed and spin off films in the pipeline. They won't let this cash cow die.

But show me one Star Wars book or fan fiction that can even hold a candle to what can be considered on of the greatest works of fiction in the canon of English literature. Not possible. LotR's is England's Beowulf, Star Wars is an creatively imagined universe that's its great fun to enjoy for a coupe of hours on the big screen. Nothing wrong with that at all by the way.

I'm looking forward to the new stars wars film  than the battle of the five armies. But no matter if its a bad as the second Hobbit film, still got the books. Nothing will never make up for the horror of Jar Jar Binks.

I don't think anyone is saying Star Wars doesn't have cultural importance or that it's not enjoyable, but its really not in the same category as LotR and that's got nothing to do with it being released on 1977, it will continued to be enjoyed by future generations due to the new signing with Disney and indeed and spin off films in the pipeline. They won't let this cash cow die.

But show me one Star Wars book or fan fiction that can even hold a candle to what can be considered on of the greatest works of fiction in the canon of English literature. Not possible. LotR's is England's Beowulf, Star Wars is an creatively imagined universe that's its great fun to enjoy for a coupe of hours on the big screen. Nothing wrong with that at all by the way.

I'm looking forward to the new stars wars film  than the battle of the five armies. But no matter if its a bad as the second Hobbit film, still got the books. Nothing will never make up for the horror of Jar Jar Binks.

First of all, I was always taught the Beowulf was English....it's oldst story? Could be wrong like

Secondly, I'm not comparing it as a piece of literature, but it will be revered in the same way as a film

Thirdly, I agree regarding the monstrosity that was Jar Jar Binks....

• Moderators

First of all, I was always taught the Beowulf was English....it's oldst story? Could be wrong like

Secondly, I'm not comparing it as a piece of literature, but it will be revered in the same way as a film

Thirdly, I agree regarding the monstrosity that was Jar Jar Binks....

well they got Ray Winstone to play him in the film, so I'm fairly certain it was English - "Dost have a bangeth hither"

Look guys, I really really always wanted to get into Star Wars in the late 70 s but it was to me what Frozen is to kiddies now, directed and produced for kids. When the second 3 came along I waited then watched them all in a row. There was some good stuff but it it was still interspersed with puerile childish crap. I maintain it's aimed, directed and produced to sell as many figurines and toys as possible.

Edited by bgoefc

• 4 months later...