Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey

roybarker

They had been on the verge of being bought a week or 2 ago for £5m.

This bought them the ground,players etc. The debt totalled £60m, but creditors had agreed a 1/6th agreement

ie £10m in total. The next 3 years parachute / sky payments equate to £11m - so I didn't think it was a bad deal.

The land at the side of the ground is owned by a "fan" and has Tesco very interested in buying, But the fan had

bought the land to stop this.

Although the training ground had been sold, the club has an agreement going forward to use the university facilities (which are new) for free.

The clubs current wage bill is £1.2m and should just about break even this season. A push to try and get promoted would probably need a wage spend of c£2m. But a club doing well, bigger gates, more sky money - do you gamble ?

Overall, not a bad proposition.

Just out of interest, Birmingham can be bought for £20m, Sheff Wed £25m and MK Dons for........................£50m !!

• Moderators

Give Redknapp £1 and he will want to spend £2 as i've said on another post he's paid top dollar for tat and no-one ever questions him. The stadium holds about 20,000 so you don't have to be a nuclear scientist to know that the maths don't add up when offer silly wages to average players. Each and everyone one of them should be accountable but that will never happen, the club is fucked and Redknapp and the rest of his cronies have just walked away

I would love it QPR go down love it

I agree with the last bit about QPR going down, but Redknapp in that respect is no different than anyone else - Benetez at Liverpool, ONeill at Villa, Fat Sam at us (once they'd give him £8M for Anelka he then wanted £5m for Smith etc). Its down to the chairman to say no - the one at LIverpool finally did when he wanted Barry when he already had Alonso, so Benetez fucked off. Lerner told ONeill he had to stop selling the likes of Cahill for 5 and buying Cuellar for 8, so Oneill Fucked off and when Davies told Sam no, he fucked off.

It's up to the chairman at QPR to put up or tell Redknapp to fuck off, like Levy did at Spurs

• Moderators

Yes he is. The money he spent at pompey and spurs imo has shown a poor return on investment. At pompey they were paying wages we couldn't dream of and they were no better than us. His replacement at spurs is doing a better job despite losing spuds 2 best players in the window.

Mourinho never needs to manage west ham to get them 5th. He earnt his stripes completing a back to back UEFA cup and champions league with unfancied Porto. An achievement that I think outweighs beating the dmbs in the cup.

he did get Spurs in the CL, twice (but for Chelsea winning it, they'd have been in it this year) which, given Spurs never operate at a loss (something like profit every season), is money well spent, surely?

he did get Spurs in the CL, twice (but for Chelsea winning it, they'd have been in it this year) which, given Spurs never operate at a loss (something like profit every season), is money well spent, surely?

Once. It's tough Chelsea won the champs league. His teams have blown it last 2 seasons because he didn't get to sign this or that in Jan quoted from him tevez was one year. He had more than enough at his disposal to deliver better. No manager has had bigger media support than rent a quote. He's just a chancer who won't be wanted by a big club again. I find it amazing people wanted him as England manager?

• Moderators

Once. It's tough Chelsea won the champs league. His teams have blown it last 2 seasons because he didn't get to sign this or that in Jan quoted from him tevez was one year. He had more than enough at his disposal to deliver better. No manager has had bigger media support than rent a quote. He's just a chancer who won't be wanted by a big club again. I find it amazing people wanted him as England manager?

twice

whatever way you look at it - he finished 3rd and 4th - if you think he had enough to finish above Utd and City then fair enough, I don't think he could've at Spurs and I don't think Boas will either, they may not even finish top 4 this season

media support counts for fuck all

most successful English manager in years

only English manager to take a PL team into the CL

only English manager to win FA Cup in years

find me anyone who'd do all that with no money

his face still looks like balls though

twice

whatever way you look at it - he finished 3rd and 4th - if you think he had enough to finish above Utd and City then fair enough, I don't think he could've at Spurs and I don't think Boas will either, they may not even finish top 4 this season

Allardyce would've done that if Eddie hadn't been a tight cunt and given him the £300k for Eto'o, Ribery and Drogba.

twice

Hodgson has a better cv than arry. Even if that's disagreed being the best English manager currently is hardly an achievement is it. Edited by tomski

• Moderators

Hodgson has a better cv than arry. Even if that's disagreed being the best English manager currently is hardly an achievement is it.

experience wise, no doubt about it, Hodgson wins - "success" wise, debatable, best english manger - not much of competition either way

but spurs 3rd and 4th, not bad eh

Ok, going to go all controversial here, they won the FA Cup and competed in Europe spending money they didn't have. There are other clubs who compete within their financial means who will never reach a Cup Final or compete in the San Siro, and a simple 10 point deduction does fuck all to the owners of these clubs who effectively cheat. It's happening again at Swindon now. This farce needs to end soon and they should start all over. It's happened at Halifax, Chester, Telford and Darlington, why shouldn't it happen to Pompey? And forget the love-in of all things South Coast, their fans were happy to pack out Fratton during the good times, but half of 'em have defected in the bad. You cannot have your cake and eat it. Now then, I'm preparing for an onslaught 'cos there's another club who have spent money they don't have in pursuit of their big dream. Now playing in a lower division with dwindling gates and a crippling debt. Do I think it could happen here? Yeah, I do. That £100m project at the Reebok would look a bit soft if Blyth Spartans were on the fixture cards would it not?

• Moderators

Nothing controversial there. I think the most important thing is that you pass the club on to the next generation, there's certainly a risk we won't achieve that. However, I'll stick by the club even if they are playing on Moss Bank Park.

experience wise, no doubt about it, Hodgson wins - "success" wise, debatable, best english manger - not much of competition either way

but spurs 3rd and 4th, not bad eh

He's never finished 3rd has he? He has spent loads at spurs 15m for Defoe who finally doing it under avb 12 mill for palacios 13m for Robbie Keane. I think its fair to say no English manager has had the resources that the crafty cockney has?

• Moderators

He's never finished 3rd has he? He has spent loads at spurs 15m for Defoe who finally doing it under avb 12 mill for palacios 13m for Robbie Keane. I think its fair to say no English manager has had the resources that the crafty cockney has?

seems I meant 4th and 4th, though the original point remains it's a good return on investment for spurs - when you compare it to what the other teams who regularly challenge for the top 4 spend, and more to the point, where spurs had finished previously on similar budgets

aye, no other english manager has got a job at a club with CL aspirations and subsequently backed, which prob says as much about the others if nothing else

whatever way you look at it, he did a good job at spurs the saggy chopped, candle face fuck

• 1 year later...