Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey

roybarker

We got a fee for Faye, a nice profit on him but a stupid decision to sell him at the time.Another stupid decision for some Megson balance was not selling Mark Davies to Swansea for £5 million if the papers are to be believed.That would have been a Megson profit but again the idiots in charge turned down that much money for an injury prone nearly man.Look how well the plan to have Mark Davies leading us back to the promised land has turned out.

So we should have sold out best player, just to be able to say that we made a £3m profit? Then when we did everyone would be up in arms complaining at the lack of ambition.

Or we could put him on a 5 year deal, hope that he helps us get back to the premiership and this bring in £60m or whatever it is now and if worst comes to worst sell him in 3 years for I'd guess not much less than this £5m figure you state.

Oh and if you thought that just by him coming back we would suddenly shoot up into the play offs then you're mental, our problems are far too big for 1 returning player to turn it all around. I'm just happy to see him back playing, 9 times out of 10 he's a class above the other 21 players on the pitch.

Edited by Eddie

I wouldn't take £5m for Mark Davies now, never mind back when Megson was in charge. He's the integral cog should we have any chance of getting out of this league in the next season or two.

And if you think Allardyce would've returned a bigger profit than Megson on the same budget, I'll politely direct you to look at what he spunked at Newcastle on absolute shite.

Edited by CAPSLOCKCOLIN

Guest bwfcdan

I wouldn't take £5m for Mark Davies now, never mind back when Megson was in charge. He's the integral cog should we have any chance of getting out of this league in the next season or two.

And if you think Allardyce would've returned a bigger profit than Megson on the same budget, I'll politely direct you to the look at what he spunked at Newcastle on absolute shite.

Meh, he was sacked after less than a year at Newcastle. Given time, he may have gone on to do well there. Same goes for the players he brought in. In fact, he brought some decent players, such as Enrique and Barton. Only player that lost them quite a bit of money was Alan Smith who signed for 6 million. They got outlay back on players such as Rozenhal. Edited by bwfcdan

• Moderators

Meh, he was sacked after less than a year at Newcastle. Given time, he may have gone on to do well there. Same goes for the players he brought in. In fact, he brought some decent players, such as Enrique and Barton. Only player that lost them quite a bit of money was Alan Smith who signed for 6 million. They got outlay back on players such as Rozenhal.

I certainly don't think they'd have gone down

though they may not have come 5th either

Alladyce leaves, you go down eventually - Bolton, Newcastle, Blackburn and hopefully West Ham

• Moderators

interesting read on southampton and their current situation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26813363

the finanicial highlights, though a bit confusing show difference in cash between championship and pl

but not so sure they had a wage bill for £28M in the championship given they were on the way back up from league one?!

• Total revenue increased 213% to £71.8m (2012: £22.9m) with average league attendances up from 26,427 to 30,807.
  • Broadcasting income grew from £5.6m in 2011/12 to £46.9m in 2012/13.
  • Match day income of £11.8m in 2011/12 has risen to £16.9m in 2012/13.
  • Commercial income increased from £4.8m in 2011/12 to £6.7m in 2012/13.
  • Total group wages, including player wages, increased to £47.1m in 2013 from £28.7m in 2012.

• Moderators

Some figures look to be for a year, whilst others over a season so guess wages for 2012 Includes half a season in each league or something

Not sure why they'd mix them up like that when reporting though the most noticeable one is Pl money v championship