Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Parkrun.org.uk

Smiley

I'd guess Bolton would be one of the slower ones in the country! I'm comfortably over a minute faster on most other parkrun I've done. Still enjoy Bolton though.

Don't think Wigan is a quick one either though

Looking at best times Bolton is probably at least 45 secs harder than the norm, which matches your observation.

Pennington Flash is probably the easiest locally.

Malc, if you do Bolton Park Run I am sure it will get a crowd from here.

Some things just aren't going to happen.

If I were to do one, it would probably be Congleton or Delamere (or Sandbach, once that comes to fruition) and in spring/summer.

But since I would be over 10 minutes outside my best track 5k from 1975 I really don't have an incentive.

I read an article where Ron Hill was praising Parkruns, and mentioned that when he did his first (aged 72) he was outsprinted by an eight year-old girl. To be fair, though, it was her 19th and she was 10 seconds outside her best, so beating a broken-down ex-superstar probably didn't register with her (she has now done about 200 of them).

Penny Flash isn't particularly fast. Undulating, 2 laps and tight turns. Worsley Woods in Manc is the fastest local (depending on your definition) one I've done. Withington is pan flat and fast if it's dry.

I remember being really chuffed to best Ron Holl at Rivi Pike many years ago. He was in his 60's at the time but then I've always been shit.

Give us a shout when you're up for Haigh and I'll come and give it a go.

Tough this morning, ice patches and running on sodden grass took their toll. 12 PB's must be a record low, amazed there were any

Will do.

Not tried Pennington Flash Malcolm, will do some time. Someone told me South Manchester, which is Platt Fields I think, is one of the quicker ones

Some things just aren't going to happen.

If I were to do one, it would probably be Congleton or Delamere (or Sandbach, once that comes to fruition) and in spring/summer.

But since I would be over 10 minutes outside my best track 5k from 1975 I really don't have an incentive.

I read an article where Ron Hill was praising Parkruns, and mentioned that when he did his first (aged 72) he was outsprinted by an eight year-old girl. To be fair, though, it was her 19th and she was 10 seconds outside her best, so beating a broken-down ex-superstar probably didn't register with her (she has now done about 200 of them).

Ron Hill will always be a superstar

• Moderators

Will do.

Not tried Pennington Flash Malcolm, will do some time. Someone told me South Manchester, which is Platt Fields I think, is one of the quicker ones

Pretty sure it's Alexander park in moss side, which might explain it

First time I've seen this thread. I try to do a parkrun every month. As mentioned Bolton is one of the toughest for inclines, roughly 240ft of elevation according to my strava app. By comparison Heaton Parks is around 100ft. I think Worsley Woods is one of the flattest locally. I'm gonna make a beeline to get to Leverhulme next Saturday, weather permitting.

• Moderators

No. South Manchester Parkrun is Platt Fields.

(there is a separate eries of races - female only - in Alex Park).

knew there was somert there on a regular basis

odd that platt fields gets called "south manchester" when there's also park runs in Burnage and Wythenshawe (and arguably Streford)

why not call it Fallowfield

not that it matters

Edited by ZicoKelly

Keen to have another crack at these sometime in the near future. Did the Wythy one a few times - it was pretty fast due to it being flat. Though it did involve running on tarmac, dirt paths, and across a football field. 

Hats off to those who do Bolton regularly, can't imagine there's many harder. Do you still have to do the big hill twice over?

Did one in Dulwich a few weeks back and there was a bloke wearing a '300' t-shirt. For those that haven't been on a Parkrun you get t-shirts when you achieve certain milestones like 50, 100 etc. That's a lot of commitment considering you can only do one a week.

If you haven't been on one they've got a pretty good community vibe, I've even seen Londoners be nice to each other at them. People of all ages run or walk the course, so even if you don't run regularly you can still go along.

If you haven't been on one they've got a pretty good community vibe, I've even seen Londoners be nice to each other at them. People of all ages run or walk the course, so even if you don't run regularly you can still go along.

My source tells me that Nonsuch Park is good fun, with a community spirit like you say, but Wimbledon Common is the opposite, with a load of stuck up bastards who won't say hello without a bank manager's reference :D

knew there was somert there on a regular basis

odd that platt fields gets called "south manchester" when there's also park runs in Burnage and Wythenshawe (and arguably Streford)

why not call it Fallowfield

not that it matters

Parkrun has just growed, like Topsy.

On a far bigger scale than the organisers ever envisaged. So when a course was set up at Platt Fields it didn't sound to be a very appealing name (even ignoring the link with MCFC), so South Manchester was chosen.

86 weeks later a separate course began operating at Wythenshawe Park.

And then another 41 days later another at Burnage.