Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Parkrun.org.uk

Smiley

I was timekeeping at Cannon Hill parkrun in Birmingham today. We had 745 runners. It's incredible how parkrun has become pretty big really, the guy who started it must have done a fair bit for many people in this country.

I did timekeeping a couple of weeks back at Bolton. Good fun and an eye opener seeing what goes on behind the scenes whiles we are out on the course.

Reckon it's a quicker course looking at times.. Also less runners to get past or get in the way.

few minutes quicker than second though

It's an out and back course (tarmac, grass and sand!).

Last week he ran the course for the first time finishing third in a leading group of four or five in 19:58.

This week he was alone. My view is that he inadvertantly ran the junior 3k because a marshall told him to turn around thinking he was in that event. 

He was third in the Merseyside u17 c-c championship this season, and was ninth in a league race recently behind a Horwich RMI runner.

Would make sense, I don't know the course, wouldn't mind trying that one.

On 9 January he was third in the Merseyside u17 C-C Championship.

The pair who finished over a minute ahead of him were yesterday 4th and 8th in the Northern u17 Championship at Witton Park, Blackburn (where I might have been but for the home cup match).

On 16th January he was ninth in a Mid-Lancs League u17. The first six in that race all ran at Witton yesterday, finishing 13th, 14th, 22nd, 32nd, 46th and 9th, respectively.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Parkrun is great, I don’t do it myself anymore - prefer to train alone really, but I did jr Parkrun with the little ones and my nephew last time we were in Bolton at Queen’s Park - fair old hill on that. Did a quick 6k after it whilst the kids had breakfast, decent little circuit.

Did some work in Queens park fucking knackered me out going up and down that fucking hill all day but I had calves of steel after that job.