Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mcmanaman - No Charge

DazBob

He's got away with it.

I can, sort of, understand the logic behind it as the officials saw it and they don't want to start a trend of undermining referees and their decisions.

Thing is though, both Halsey and his linos should face lengthy bans for deeming that challenge as acceptable.

The FA are so incompetent it's ridiculous

I'd not use the word incompetent.

By banning Barnes they're not undermining the ref. To ban McManaman they would be undermining Halsey and his assistants.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I can see why they've not charged McManaman. If they were to overrule Halsey and ban the player then they'd be opening themselves up for clubs to be appealing to them every single weekend on referees' decisions. It'd be like when that Arsenal player was charged for diving against Celtic and UEFA then banned him ... but quickly thought, "Oh fuck, what've we done?!" and withdrew the ban sharpish.

• Moderators

think i agree with you

my understanding is that if the ref says he's seen it, thats the end of it

however, if in seeing it he thinks theres nowt wrong, he needs to pack it up as a bad job

Unfortunately I can see their logic but it seems ridiculous that everyone can see what a dirty shit the Wigan bloke is but we won't do it to set a precedent. If I was Newcastle I'd go to the police over it and see if the F A act then

Especially as no Newcastle player has ever got away with a bad challenge eh..

Durhams surprisingly just made a good point on talksport

How can Ashley Barnes get a 7 game ban for tripping a referee yet McManaman gets nothing

The FA are so incompetent it's ridiculous

It was 3 for the straight red + 1 for second time this season + 3 added (assaulting the ref is pretty serious in the scale of events).

If Halsey's view was obscured (as the Telegraph indicated) but the assistant's view was clear and he didn't flag it, then it's unlikely that the FA would overrule.

• Moderators

I thought Halsey hadn't seen it

well from the angles they showed on SKY and MOTD, he couldn't see it

and sure Pardew or someone said in the tunnel at h/t, Halsey said he hadn't seen it

and in the 2nd half, James Perch shoud've got a 2nd yellow, but you could tell that Halsey bottled it having not shown red in the first half...

I'm not saying two wrongs do make a right.

... but for a club to go to the police over a challenge on a pitch. Could you imagine the repercussions if the police then acted upon it?

Callum McManaman would be more (in)famous than Jean-Marc Bosman in no time.

You've not really thought this one through fully have you?

Edited by DazBob

The thing is I think going to the police would in itself set a ridiculous precedent and be completely over the top but would that push the F A to act? I agree theres an element of using two wrongs to make a right in my theory by outdoing the already ludicrous precedent being set. You can tell I'm bored and long train journey

Did we not call for more with Johnny Evans?

Different scenario though innit. Evans' offence was deemed by the ref as bad enough to give him a red. Halsey waved play on.

Edited by DazBob

• Moderators

think i agree with you

my understanding is that if the ref says he's seen it, thats the end of it

however, if in seeing it he thinks theres nowt wrong, he needs to pack it up as a bad job

from reading the BBC site

"the FA cannot take action as an official saw the incident."

so looks like the linesman, who was in the other half, must've seen it but not thought much of it

I doubt Halsey saw it

from reading the BBC site

"the FA cannot take action as an official saw the incident."

so looks like the linesman, who was in the other half, must've seen it but not thought much of it

I doubt Halsey saw it

I read that as NOTHING can be done retrospectively unless NONE of the 4 officials don't see something! Is that right?!