Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Poor Child. An Awful Way To Die

freds dad

Why people have dogs AT ALL is beyond me. I've never understood the 'pet' thing. Bizarre behaviour.

I'm I this camp too. However I really don't get these folk who have staffs and bull terriers and shit. Especially with kids about.

I don't get how people who claim to be near the bread line. As in really struggling, yet they have a dog.

One of the most expensive luxuries you can have.

Really winds me up. Well how about giving up the dog and saving x amount of money a week to spend on essentials.

The problem isn't with 'this type' of dog more to with the type of people who desire 'this type' of dogs.

They're usually the sort if people who give little to no thought to their offspring anyway.

Any breed of dog will attack weaknesses in the pack. Because scutters who don't care for their animal properly have staffies etc theyre the breed that gets the bad rap

• Site Supporter

The problem isn't with 'this type' of dog more to with the type of people who desire 'this type' of dogs.

They're usually the sort if people who give little to no thought to their offspring anyway.

Any breed of dog will attack weaknesses in the pack. Because scutters who don't care for their animal properly have staffies etc theyre the breed that gets the bad rap

can go along with that, but if these type of folk only had access to say,border collies, doubt this sort of thing would happen, not saying the dogs wouldn't be mad and attack folk, but I think it's the sheer strength of these breeds that mean when they do attack it leads to serious damage.I was a paper boy when 12 and got attacked quite bad by two alsations took a few chunks out but managed to fight them off and they stopped, dread to think what would have happened if it was one of these ridgeback or staff types Probably someone in A&E every day with dog attack injuries somewhere in the land, but when these type attack it's usually more serious I'd say due to the nature of their breed and instincts

so despite the " it's not the dog it's the owners" line, which has some un doubted truth, I still think these types should be banned from being kept as pets.

• Site Supporter

can go along with that, but if these type of folk only had access to say,border collies, doubt this sort of thing would happen, not saying the dogs wouldn't be mad and attack folk, but I think it's the sheer strength of these breeds that mean when they do attack it leads to serious damage.I was a paper boy when 12 and got attacked quite bad by two alsations took a few chunks out but managed to fight them off and they stopped, dread to think what would have happened if it was one of these ridgeback or staff types Probably someone in A&E every day with dog attack injuries somewhere in the land, but when these type attack it's usually more serious I'd say due to the nature of their breed and instincts

so despite the " it's not the dog it's the owners" line, which has some un doubted truth, I still think these types should be banned from being kept as pets.

100% correct, sir.

• Site Supporter

absolutely horrific story....it even made they news over here, they interviewed a young lad, and the Yanks had to give him subtitles..... cracking accent talking about the girl had been for a pie, and the dogs went after it

tragic story, but it made me laugh that they subtitled it.

surprised it made news over there though, was it in revenge for our outrage at their gun laws?

are we going to have to get a petition together to deport some Yank spouting about our laws on 'Dangerous Dogs'

A sad waste of a young life, what's annoying me is we see this happening on a regular basis and we get an out pouring of grief yet nothing is done about it, get these dogs licensed charge the owners for privilege of checking them out if in doubt revoke the licence, it's happening on our streets in all our locality report any scum bag who you thinks a danger.

Banning staffies as a breed of dog is ridiculous I've known staffies, Rottweilers and alsations all my life through friends, family or neighbours amongst many other breed.

The only breeds of dog I've know to attack was my parents Springer Spaniel which did a fair amount of damage to my dad when it's inbreeding caused it to 'turn' (quite common amongst pedigree spaniels apparently)some pretty nasty damage to a kid. And a Jack Russell that scarred one of my mate's faces for life when it attacked him.

For a brief period a few years ago I was working up near the Theatre of Shite, anyhow, almost every day either going or coming back on the Metrolink there'd be someone with a Staff or similar type of breed. There's a free RSPCA clinic up there - nearly every one of these dogs (well, bitches) had nipples drooping to the floor (and as for their animals...) I mean, joking aside, it's obvious they were being used as breeding machines. Surely, if they're getting free treatment, the vets should be spaying the dogs at the same time?

There was some c*nt on Great Lever Park t'other day, he had about four, possibly five staffs - only one was on a lead. There were kids playing and I thought, if they decided to attack someone - there wasn't a jot he, or anyone else around, could've done about it...

There was some bloke on the telly earlier, saying the dogs involved in this attack were known for barking and going crazy until all hours - day in, day out. It's a pity someone didn't get pissed off and slip them sommat, and I like dogs and all so...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

we come aross a lot of dogs (serious thread so no jokes). Staffies on the whole are softies.. Ive even met pit bulls (legal ones) that are soft as, I've yet to see an aggressive Rotty, its all down the the owners. The sensible ones keep their dogs out of situations, I wouldn't let anyone in my house without me there as I cant predict how my dog would react, I trust him with my daughter 100% though,

• Site Supporter

Banning staffies as a breed of dog is ridiculous I've known staffies, Rottweilers and alsations all my life through friends, family or neighbours amongst many other breed.

The only breeds of dog I've know to attack was my parents Springer Spaniel which did a fair amount of damage to my dad when it's inbreeding caused it to 'turn' (quite common amongst pedigree spaniels apparently)some pretty nasty damage to a kid. And a Jack Russell that scarred one of my mate's faces for life when it attacked him.

not ridiculous,just an opinion mate, like I said, all dogs could be dangerous, it's the damage they can do when turned dangerous is the point well my point anyway. Your mate who was attacked by the jack russell would have been a lot worse off if it had been a staff or mastiff i would say,and that's the issue

A greyhound of all things went for the little one the other week. Luckily my mother kicked it a few times pretty hard apparently, picked D up and told the owner she was going to get it put down.

Thing is D's best mate is a rottweiler :D

I see the poster's point about the size of dog though. Mummy NB didn't have much trouble fending off a wirey ugly thing but a masssive dog, I' m not sure you can do much about that.

I believe Greyhounds used for racing would often be 'blooded' - meaning given something to kill to give them 'the taste'. They're one of the most aggressive breeds. Someone I knew adopted two 'rescue' greyhounds, they seemed nice enough, until they tore her little dog to pieces (dunno what breed, a bit like a big chihuahua I suppose).

They're bred for hunting hares and rabbits originally aren't they?

Edited by Youri McAnespie

In my experience it's the owners. wouldn't be my choice by any means but the right owner can have four belting Staffys if he knows what he's doing. The fact here is that it's a terrible breed when in the wrong hands and we've all seen the kind of pondlife who keep them. Banning the breed is like saying ban the car because a bad driver killed someone.

Edited by Maggie Tate

• Site Supporter

In my experience it's the owners. wouldn't be my choice by any means but the right owner can have four belting Staffys if he knows what he's doing. The fact here is that it's a terrible breed when in the wrong hands and we've all seen the kind of pondlife who keep them. Banning the breed is like saying ban the car because a bad driver killed someone.

no,that's not the point i'm making, and it's not a true comparison a the driver is always in control of the car ( even by making it crash he has caused it), the car doesnt have an instinct, the dog does no matter how well trained,my point is,any dog can attack, but the damage that can be done by these type of dogs is far more severe.

no doubt this household in Atherton has had kids around the dogs before an they thought they were good with them and soft etc, when they do turn however, they cause more than a trip to A&E and a scar like a more "gentile" breed of dog would, in most cases.

• Site Supporter

the guy in question had 2 staffies and 2 bull mastiffs, and we'll never know which of them started the trouble..

no,that's not the point i'm making, and it's not a true comparison a the driver is always in control of the car

A properly looked after dog is always under its owner's control, even when the owner isn't there.

These dogs obviously weren't. No a pack of poodles wouldn't have tore her to bits, but the fuckwit owners wouldn't have had poodles

my point is,any dog can attack, but the damage that can be done by these type of dogs is far more severe.

I'm not convinced that is the case. I remember an old lady in Leigh a few years ago died and in the days before she was found, her dog had started on a couple of scabs she had and by the time family beat the door down there was nowt of her left. I doubt hers was a staffy. Many more docile breeds, like our pair of labs, have incredibly strong jaws and would scrag you all over the place if they got that far. The only indisputable fact I can see here is that things can go badly wrong when idiots have breeds they can't look after properly. Choice breed for nobheads just now is staffys. Used to be dobermans and rottweilers and pitbulls. Bans on specific breeds is the thin end of quite a large wedge.

• Site Supporter

A properly looked after dog is always under its owner's control, even when the owner isn't there.

These dogs obviously weren't. No a pack of poodles wouldn't have tore her to bits, but the fuckwit owners wouldn't have had poodles

I'm not convinced that is the case. I remember an old lady in Leigh a few years ago died and in the days before she was found, her dog had started on a couple of scabs she had and by the time family beat the door down there was nowt of her left. I doubt hers was a staffy. Many more docile breeds, like our pair of labs, have incredibly strong jaws and would scrag you all over the place if they got that far. The only indisputable fact I can see here is that things can go badly wrong when idiots have breeds they can't look after properly. Choice breed for nobheads just now is staffys. Used to be dobermans and rottweilers and pitbulls. Bans on specific breeds is the thin end of quite a large wedge.

but did the dog kill her? not saying other dogs wont attack, all dogs can attack, even well trained ones can turn, the reason these types are the choice of the "knob heads" is because of the very vicious qualities we are on about.