Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Regional League 1 And 2

tomski

With clubs struggling and such, surely this has to be something that is looked at? I know as a fan poser I've enjoyed the extra local games this season but also like trips far and beyond also. An argument against I suppose is at what level and where you would divide the country up?

Instead of splitting the leagues geographically, can't we just have a Good Places To Go On The Piss League and a Shit Places To Go On The Piss League.

Actually , best scrap that idea, we'd be unanimously voted into the latter.

That was the system until 1958, with 3 North and 3 South.

Non-league was regional in those days and the Northern Premier League had not begun.

Nowadays the Conference National exists, and the first split is into Conference North and Conference South.

So, while a split may still be sensible, it will not be easy to bring into effect. A few clubs going out of existence would focus minds.

And as Malcolm probably knows Worcester City, Gloucester City, Oxford City, Histon (Cambridge) and Bishops Stortford have to play in Conference North this season. Sometimes there are no easy answers.

Also it would depend what percentage of a club's expenditure at Football League level is spent on away game costs compared to wages & other runnning costs.