Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Official Boxing Thread...

gonzo

Is this a trick question type thread?

As stated previously Frank Maloney wore a full Union flag suit at fights previously without comment or intervention, the world has not 'gone mad' since...

Who the fuck are 'Unity News Network' anyhow? Some UK based spunkbubble midge-sized attempt to emulate the shitstirring of Canadian tosspots 'Rebel Media'?

To state the bleedin' obvious, you'd hazard a guess when a divide has been breached by sport - like Mcguigan and latterly Frampton have achieved, why act the nob by wearing sommat, rightly or wrongly, seen as a symbol of sectarianism?

Edit: wrote the above whilst Kent was posting a more succinct reasoning.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Is this a trick question type thread?

As stated previously Frank Maloney wore a full Union Jack suit at fights previously without comment or intervention, the world has not 'gone mad' since...

Who the fuck are 'Unity News Network' anyhow? Some UK based spunkbubble midge-sized attempt to emulate the shitstirring of Canadian tosspots 'Rebel Media'?

To state the bleedin' obvious, you'd hazard a guess when a divide has been breached by sport - like Mcguigan and latterly Frampton have achieved, why act the nob by wearing sommat, rightly or wrongly, seen as a symbol of sectarianism?

Edit: wrote the above whilst Kent was posting a more succinct reasoning.

Where does it stop? Irish fighter enters the ring with a tri colour on his shorts but that’s ok? 

Regarding restrictions on what can and can’t be worn I’m pretty sure it’s football tops that can’t be worn. Notting about waistcoats showing a country’s flag 

2 minutes ago, royal white said:

Where does it stop? Irish fighter enters the ring with a tri colour on his shorts but that’s ok? 

Regarding restrictions on what can and can’t be worn I’m pretty sure it’s football tops that can’t be worn. Notting about waistcoats showing a country’s flag 

There's a time and a place.

Any event that brings together two communities traditionally at loggerheads isn't the time nor place IMO...

Interesting to note the cameras of Unity News Network were at the scene. Uncanny that, what a coincidence eh? Very fortuitous for them.

5 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

There's a time and a place.

Any event that brings together two communities traditionally at loggerheads isn't the time nor place IMO...

Interesting to note the cameras of Unity News Network were at the scene. Uncanny that, what a coincidence eh? Very fortuitous for them.

You don’t really think that was unity News (whoever they are) filming do you? The original clip was posted by a fan which has then been used by every Tom Dick and Harry. 

Was the guy in the waistcoat even a Frampton fan? 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Would have thought fatolive can enlighten properly but no prejudice ever followed Barry McGuigan around so perhaps it can be done. Garnered support from each side representing Ireland and Northern Ireland. 

people from Ireland usually support people from Ireland, the NI/ ROI doesn’t usually affect that, Northern Ireland is full of “ paddies “ too, you’d get a minority who wouldn’t support someone because of which “side” they are from and to be fair, the ones who see NI as a separate country wouldn’t want to be associated with supporting someone from a foreign country, however, amature boxing is governed by an all Ireland body and boxing fans support whoever comes through in the main. As well as McGuigan, George Best, Alex Higgins , Rory Mcleroy all had hero status both sides of the border despite being from “ the other side” to someone. 

Frampton is from a unionist area, the waistcoat wouldn’t really cause any offence and if it did they should kick the ones out who are offended by it,not the wearer in my opinion, when I read it I presumed it was one of these “ take your England flags down because it offends Muslims” type stories, ie he got thrown out for being a dick but used that as an excuse, but seems he did get thrown out for wearing the flag of the country the fight was in and both the fighters are from which I find extraordinary and can’t imagine it happening in any other country to be honest.

rules are rules and understand club colours/ football shirts but think it’s a bit over zealous myself. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Avoiding GGG? Or do we reckon that’s on the back burner after a possible GGG / Smith?

Golovkin was in talks to fight BJS, don't know if it will get made though.

Appears the Smith Anfield homecoming won't be happening this year, they were talking about taking on a big name. A unification against Ramirez would be a good fight, he's a come forward fighter.

Degale v Eubank should be a decent fight as well, never ppv though.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Just watching linares getting steamrollered in the first round last night. What the fuck.

cano not knocked anyone out in four years apparently, then puts linares down 3 times in first round. 

Not seen the fight but went to Torres v Holt 2 in Vegas. 2 knock downs and a k.o in the space of 60 seconds, watch it on YouTube if you’ve not seen it, it was quality.

Just looked it was 11 years ago now. Hell fire. We were in Vegas for the darts desert classic and this happened to be on. Great days

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Any sad losers listening to the radio on Saturday night like me should tune in to Adam caterall on talk shite tonight for his boxing show.

loads of fighters on tonight 

He went to school with a few lads I know. Can’t be doing with him but to be fair, he knows his stuff