Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Official Boxing Thread...

gonzo

• Members
2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

That's what I can't get my head around, and why I suspect they will have been told to control the fight in certain ways.

Yeah you’re probably right, I think there will be a very strict ref. 
Part of me is happy boxing may get a new wave of fans and it will boost the sport a bit more , the cynic in me is raging at such a farce

Edited by Rudy’s Message

22 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I'm guessing it will be a total non-event - probably end in a draw -  and they'll still both earn millions. Fair play to the lads themselves, but it makes an absolute mockery of the sport. It's WWE pretending to be boxing, which just doesn't sit right. At least Mayweather and McGregor were both properly professional fighters.

Mayweather/McGregor was a con trick that plenty fell for. It was a novelty, a bit like putting a lion and a tiger in the same room. This KSI/Logan Paul event is no different. It shouldn't even be in this thread.

Edited by Underpants

• Site Supporter
Just now, Underpants said:

Mayweather/McGregor was a con trick that plenty fell for. It was a novelt, aa bit like putting a lion and a tiger in the same room. This KSI/Logan Paul event is no different. It shouldn't even be in this thread.

I agree, but it's being billed as a professional fight and will get a massive audience, so it has an impact on the sport as a whole.

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, royal white said:

I’ve no idea. Didn’t they wear head guards last time? Is it the same this time?  

No head guards this time, and 10oz gloves, because they're officially "professional".

Edited by Cheese

7 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

Put Talksport on the other day and that Gareth A Davies was trying to sell the fight. It all sounded a bit desperate like he was trying to convince his self.

On a sidenote why does he describe nearly every bloke as a "beautiful man". It's a bit weird.

have you seen the way he dresses?  he's a nailed on nonce

15 hours ago, Cheese said:

I agree, but it's being billed as a professional fight and will get a massive audience, so it has an impact on the sport as a whole.

how many 'professional' shows have you been to this year out of interest?

they are both in shape and had a proper training camp, which is more than plenty of fighters.

it's 2 blokes having a fight, those who want to watch/attend will do so...same as any other fight

Edited by whiteboy

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, whiteboy said:

how many 'professional' shows have you been to this year out of interest?

they are both in shape and had a proper training camp, which is more than plenty of fighters.

it's 2 blokes having a fight, those who want to watch/attend will do so...same as any other fight

None. I've never been to a boxing event in my life. I'm a casual armchair boxing fan. That's probably why I can't get my head around it. I just thought professional licensing was more stringent, that's all. I was obviously mistaken.

Edited by Cheese

How on earth is pulev good enough to be a mandatory challenger for any major heavyweight belt. Shows how fucked up and just full of bureaucracy and corruption boxing is. Plenty of fighters that are much much better than him in that division yet is somehow is worthy of a mandatory shot. 

• Members
23 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

How on earth is pulev good enough to be a mandatory challenger for any major heavyweight belt. Shows how fucked up and just full of bureaucracy and corruption boxing is. Plenty of fighters that are much much better than him in that division yet is somehow is worthy of a mandatory shot. 

It’s only the IBF, which Ruiz has, he’s only ever lost to Klitschko and undefeated since him. 
Ruiz will fight AJ winner of that will probably fight one more before an Undisputed fight for all the belts against Wilder or Fury.

The IBF doesn’t really mean much when it’s held by someone with another belt. 
I doubt he’ll get a shot at it, because whoever defends it will be defending the other belts as well. And there’s a long line before Pulev. 
Usyk, Povetkin, Whyte, Parker will all get a title shot before Pulev, unless the belt gets vacated, which I doubt. 

6 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

It’s only the IBF, which Ruiz has, he’s only ever lost to Klitschko and undefeated since him. 
Ruiz will fight AJ winner of that will probably fight one more before an Undisputed fight for all the belts against Wilder or Fury.

The IBF doesn’t really mean much when it’s held by someone with another belt. 
I doubt he’ll get a shot at it, because whoever defends it will be defending the other belts as well. And there’s a long line before Pulev. 
Usyk, Povetkin, Whyte, Parker will all get a title shot before Pulev, unless the belt gets vacated, which I doubt. 

I agree with a lot of that but I disagree that pulev won’t get a shot in short order. Maybe via winner of Ruiz AJ vacating but I’m sure he will fight for it very soon. 

• Members
7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I agree with a lot of that but I disagree that pulev won’t get a shot in short order. Maybe via winner of Ruiz AJ vacating but I’m sure he will fight for it very soon. 

I don’t really rate him. He’s just not my kind of HW, a boxers boxer he will struggle with.

A lot depends on this AJ Ruiz fight.

If Ruiz wins, he’ll face the winner of Fury/Wilder

If AJ wins I see the winner of Fury/Wilder  Vs AJ Coming to a stalemate in the board room again.

Too many Undefeated boxers at the top of the HW tree for my liking 

13 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

I don’t really rate him. He’s just not my kind of HW, a boxers boxer he will struggle with.

A lot depends on this AJ Ruiz fight.

If Ruiz wins, he’ll face the winner of Fury/Wilder

If AJ wins I see the winner of Fury/Wilder  Vs AJ Coming to a stalemate in the board room again.

Too many Undefeated boxers at the top of the HW tree for my liking 

Completely agree

They need to fuck the current system off with the way fighters dodge each other.

Top 16 rated heavyweights into a World Cup of boxing.

Either 1 v 16 , 2 v 15 etc whereby you "should" get the top 4 in the semis or a free draw to shake it up a bit.

You fight who you're drawn against or you get your licence withdrawn, until the next World Cup. Once a fight is drawn out, then the rights etc go to tender..