Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Official Boxing Thread...

gonzo

• Members
33 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

That had to be Mayeather, December 2017.

I missed Red Star away for that as presumably you did.

That week away will live with me for ever. Never been involved in anything like it. One of them "you had to be there" trips to understand

Pacquiao In 2009 I think mate, seen him against Kosta Tsyzu, Michael Stewart, Maussa

Went to Red Star which formed the Belgrade Brigade 6 😁

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Pacquiao In 2009 I think mate, seen him against Kosta Tsyzu, Michael Stewart, Maussa

Went to Red Star which formed the Belgrade Brigade 6 😁

Urango was his only Vegas fight I missed. Think I watched 32 or 33 of his fights. Went to all of them 4. Great days

• Members
2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Urango was his only Vegas fight I missed. Think I watched 32 or 33 of his fights. Went to all of them 4. Great days

Didn’t go with Vulcan pub trip did you?

• Members
1 minute ago, deane koontz said:

Remember getting into it when i was kid watching Eubank and Naseem fights. Lewis too

Never actually been to a fight for some reason. Probably not that much of a fan :D

Over here you need good seats, over there the experience outweighs the actual fight

3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Over here you need good seats, over there the experience outweighs the actual fight

Easier to blag in over there. Got the cheapest seats available for winky Wright v Shane Mosley and within 5 minutes I was sat 2 rows behind Oscar De La Hoya.

standing in the scoreboard paddock at Old Trafford was a good experience watching Benn V Eubank 2 

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Didn’t go with Vulcan pub trip did you?

No, I went on Ricky Hatton forum and went with a crew from there. We're all still good mates.

Used to do a lot of the local shows, Robin Park on Friday nights. Became mates with 1 or 2 local lads too, Alex Matvienko, Mick Jennings, Mick Gomez 3 I still sometimes see

3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

No, I went on Ricky Hatton forum and went with a crew from there. We're all still good mates.

Used to do a lot of the local shows, Robin Park on Friday nights. Became mates with 1 or 2 local lads too, Alex Matvienko, Mick Jennings, Mick Gomez 3 I still sometimes see

I was speaking to Steve foster not long back and he said Gomez is in a bad place, you could always see him taking the wrong route. His book is a cracking read 

• Members
11 minutes ago, royal white said:

Best fight I’ve seen live is Jamie Moore  V Macklin. Absolute war. 

Didn’t go to that but watched it, brutal

Chisora Whyte for me, fuck me that was like two kangaroos fighting 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, royal white said:

I was speaking to Steve foster not long back and he said Gomez is in a bad place, you could always see him taking the wrong route. His book is a cracking read 

A shame that. I've not seen Mick for about 3 or 4 years now but he was always at the local shows.

A real warrior, I can imagine he was always one of these who lived for the fight game and would struggle without it. He stretched his career out 5 fights more than he should have done

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Who was the boxer/boxers who you first supported? I only really watched HW as a sprog so Holmes & Bruno got me into the sport.

RJJ probably the legend I'd love to have seen in his prime

Hatton & J.C my favourites of all time. Been to USA watching both on a few occasions 

Prince Naseem 

Pure Box Office 

Also Hatton, they'll be no other Brit who can take 10k+ fans to America 

Never missed any of his fights 

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, royal white said:

Easier to blag in over there. Got the cheapest seats available for winky Wright v Shane Mosley and within 5 minutes I was sat 2 rows behind Oscar De La Hoya.

standing in the scoreboard paddock at Old Trafford was a good experience watching Benn V Eubank 2 

We got upgraded for Khan v Canelo in Vegas, paid for $150 seats, ended up with $1250 seats I think they were. Might have been more than that. Still got the ticket somewhere upstairs

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Winchester White said:

I loved the Saturday night Prince Naseem show every 3 or 4 months on ITV.

The local would be packed with loads of us for/against/don't care but even those who didn't really bother with boxing said it was always a good night.

Happy days

Actually was probably Sky

7 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Im not sure tbh

Cant imagine anywhere near Hatton numbers? 

Depends who you listen to. Different reports have figures ranging from 5k to 20k ...whatever the figures there’s not many nations like ours that get behind boxers the way we do 

2 minutes ago, royal white said:

Depends who you listen to. Different reports have figures ranging from 5k to 20k ...whatever the figures there’s not many nations like ours that get behind boxers the way we do 

Id be confident in saying its nowhere near 20k

• Site Supporter

Hatton had around 30k in Vegas for Mayweather fight.

Everything landed right though, $2 to the £, only around £500 for a week in MGM, football prices had gone through the roof too so plenty of football lads turned to boxing