Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Official Boxing Thread...

gonzo

• Members
40 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Just watched it now. Fury bullied him about. Far too big too strong and too good. Bring on AJ. Only one winner in that one too for me

Think you may be right. He bought a different dimension to his game. 

7 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Think you may be right. He bought a different dimension to his game. 

I don’t think anyone expected fury to bully wilder like he did. The size difference was there for all too see. I said I couldn’t see wilder winning but what fury did was just take away that risk of the wilder right hand by just taking it to him. 

aj ran from Ruiz last fight. He won’t be able to do that to fury. Fury in that mood will hunt him down. Can’t see fury being beaten after that he’s raised his level massively. 

• Members
4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I don’t think anyone expected fury to bully wilder like he did. The size difference was there for all too see. I said I couldn’t see wilder winning but what fury did was just take away that risk of the wilder right hand by just taking it to him. 

aj ran from Ruiz last fight. He won’t be able to do that to fury. Fury in that mood will hunt him down. Can’t see fury being beaten after that he’s raised his level massively. 

It was plain to see what he was gonna do from the first bell be sprinted towards him and put pressure on him. 
Binning off Ben Davies who isn’t a boxing coach and getting Sugarhill in was an absolute master stroke.

What I thought was weird was Wilders corner. They weren’t tending to his injuries and weren’t really coaching him, it was like they had no plan b.

4 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

It was plain to see what he was gonna do from the first bell be sprinted towards him and put pressure on him. 
Binning off Ben Davies who isn’t a boxing coach and getting Sugarhill in was an absolute master stroke.

What I thought was weird was Wilders corner. They weren’t tending to his injuries and weren’t really coaching him, it was like they had no plan b.

I think wilder is just so reliant on his right hand. I think he has a fitness coach and a trainer per se but he just relies on that to get him out of trouble each and every time. and it’s got him very very high up and made him very rich. But take that away and he’s not a good boxer technically. He has a porous defense and it was exposed last night. 

ive always said he wasn’t very good but being as good as he is was good enough. Til last night 

• Members
3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I think wilder is just so reliant on his right hand. I think he has a fitness coach and a trainer per se but he just relies on that to get him out of trouble each and every time. and it’s got him very very high up and made him very rich. But take that away and he’s not a good boxer technically. He has a porous defense and it was exposed last night. 

ive always said he wasn’t very good but being as good as he is was good enough. Til last night 

He couldn’t get close enough to let the right loose, the only time I remembered him doing so Fury jabbed him away. He was wild and swinging and missing. 
As soon as his ear was done that was it his balance and equilibrium was fucked. That’s when his corner should have been saying, throw the jab, move, jab, counter, move.

They said fuck all.

1 minute ago, Rudy’s Message said:

He couldn’t get close enough to let the right loose, the only time I remembered him doing so Fury jabbed him away. He was wild and swinging and missing. 
As soon as his ear was done that was it his balance and equilibrium was fucked. That’s when his corner should have been saying, throw the jab, move, jab, counter, move.

They said fuck all.

Yep tbf though fair play for them doing it eventually. A lot wouldn’t have and would have let him get knocked out. 

guess it’s a fine line between doing it too early too late etc. but boxing trainer is responsible for the life of the fighter it’s a tough gig for sure 

I misjudged Fury early on; he's better than I gave him credit for. But let's not kid ourselves here, DW isn't a heavyweight great. He's a swinger who knocked over some inferior opposition on his way to the top, and carried on doing so. He doesn't deserve a rematch on last night's performance, it offers no appeal. Joshua, Usyk and even Whyte would be a better test. I suspect the merry-go-round of avoiding the big fights folk want to see will go on for the next 18 months.

• Members
9 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I misjudged Fury early on; he's better than I gave him credit for. But let's not kid ourselves here, DW isn't a heavyweight great. He's a swinger who knocked over some inferior opposition on his way to the top, and carried on doing so. He doesn't deserve a rematch on last night's performance, it offers no appeal. Joshua, Usyk and even Whyte would be a better test. I suspect the merry-go-round of avoiding the big fights folk want to see will go on for the next 18 months.

I don’t think the governing bodies will give much time for them to either unify all belts or give one up.

AJ v Pulev next. 
Wilder will probably invoke his rematch clause.

Fury wins that and we should be set up nicely for a unification bout in December. 
Boxing is a dirty game though. 

9 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

I don’t think the governing bodies will give much time for them to either unify all belts or give one up.

AJ v Pulev next. 
Wilder will probably invoke his rematch clause.

Fury wins that and we should be set up nicely for a unification bout in December. 
Boxing is a dirty game though. 

No way will Fury fight DW again and Joshua before the year is out 

• Members
1 minute ago, royal white said:

Yeah long shot. All have to wait and see when the DW rematch happens. Interesting that the bloke who is setting up the Saudi events was with Bob Arum last night 

7 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Wilder talking like there is going to be a rematch

I'm sure I have read somewhere (BBC Sport website?) that it is in the contract for this fight that the loser can call for a re-match.

Would AJ v Fury get US fans quite as interested as another Wilder v Fury fight?

What happens next? Like most I want to see Fury fight the winner of AJ and Pulev. Eddie Hearn says that can happen this year (you would think Nov Dec) so what does TF do between now and then?

Fight white? 

Rematch with DW?

Sit about for months? 

Politics in boxing are fkin arse 

1 minute ago, royal white said:

What happens next? Like most I want to see Fury fight the winner of AJ and Pulev. Eddie Hearn says that can happen this year (you would think Nov Dec) so what does TF do between now and then?

Fight white? 

Rematch with DW?

Sit about for months? 

Intimation is that pulev can be paid off to step to the side to allow fury and aj to fight in summer. 

get pulev to fight whyte with the winner fighting winner of fury and aj

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Intimation is that pulev can be paid off to step to the side to allow fury and aj to fight in summer. 

get pulev to fight whyte with the winner fighting winner of fury and aj

That would make sense, Pulev could probably name his price and get it such is the money AJ and TF would generate 

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, royal white said:

9 minutes ago, royal white said:

Fight white? 

Rematch with DW?

Sit about for months? 

You've had a rethink?

9 minutes ago, royal white said:

Nope, I’m putting options out there what other boxing fans may be thinking. In my opinion no way TF will fight DW before the year was out.

As you were 

Joshua makes most sense

• Members
34 minutes ago, royal white said:

Fight white? 

Rematch with DW?

Sit about for months? 

Pulev fight will happen because he’s the mandatory for the IBF

Whyte is mandatory for the WBC by 2021.

So I think it will go 

AJ v Pulev

Fury v DW rematch. If DW declines a rematch which I don’t think he will, then a defence against Rivas or Whyte. 

DW Back in the contention mix with Rivas, Ruiz Jr, Usyk and maybe even Charles Martin.

Fury AJ will happen but I think an arena fight only. But it’ll be later in the year, but that rules out an arena fight in the UK, so either Saudi or wait until next year which I think is more likely. A freak loss by Fury or AJ and it fucks it all up which I think it will.

Heavyweight boxing hasn’t been this exciting since the 90’s.

A few issues, the WBC will be seething that all belts are held by two British boxers so they’ll order a rematch or force Fury to fight a mandatory.

AJ needs to fight Fury soon or he’s gonna end up relinquishing belts. 

I think Fury has one more fight under ESPN and AJ is contracted to sky, So I think Fury will end up fighting someone before AJ, probably DW, if that’s the case that’s a risk because if DW beats him we’re a million miles away from an unification fight between AJ and DW.