Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Red Wine Thread

globaldiver

No Balls is it a good one to start drinking red wine with?

Still not had any, think it could be my summer drink given I wont be going out much.

Easy drinking. I think you'll like it. None of that oakiness that I can't be doing with. Give it a go. :D

Can we turn this into a booze thread? I ask this as I have ordered a consignment of weird and wonderful ales to greet me when I get wom, including a bottle of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, bottled at a modest 10.1%. This is to celebrate informing HMRC that I won't be paying any tax this year.

As far as wine is concerned, we've always loved the Ravenswood Sainsbury's and probably others do. Hard to go too far wrong with a Californian zinfandel. For a bit more money, treat yourself to a Frog's Leap. With the sun out, get into the German rieslings or gewurtztraminners. Once you've drank your 10.1% beer and downed your bottle of wine, finish off with a quart of the Laphroaig 10 year old cask strength at 55.3%, vomit into your lap and wake up in hospital a week later, feeling wholly refreshed.

Can we turn this into a booze thread? I ask this as I have ordered a consignment of weird and wonderful ales to greet me when I get wom, including a bottle of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, bottled at a modest 10.1%. This is to celebrate informing HMRC that I won't be paying any tax this year.

As far as wine is concerned, we've always loved the Ravenswood Sainsbury's and probably others do. Hard to go too far wrong with a Californian zinfandel. For a bit more money, treat yourself to a Frog's Leap. With the sun out, get into the German rieslings or gewurtztraminners. Once you've drank your 10.1% beer and downed your bottle of wine, finish off with a quart of the Laphroaig 10 year old cask strength at 55.3%, vomit into your lap and wake up in hospital a week later, feeling wholly refreshed.

Thanks for a giggle!

Sounds fun

• Site Supporter

Frog's Leap - an excellent shout there. As for the 10.1% stout, you can pretty much guarantee you'll be shitting your liver out first thing.

Leyther in power supping shocker!

I'm no good power supping. Prefer to drag it out as long as I'm stood up. I'm a Mo Farah rather than a Usain Bolt. I adopt much the same attitude to coitus.

As for the 10.1% stout, you can pretty much guarantee you'll be shitting your liver out first thing.

I'm quite runny at the moment, which is a bad sign in this part of the world. There's almost no way to firm things up, either. You just have to let things improve by themselves. You can have surgery if things get really bad, an idea which I would reject on the grounds that I would rather plunge my head into a pan of boiling chip fat.

Anyway...red wine.....

Morrisons have in recent weeks been selling a different of their posh reds (£10) a bottle for half price every week.

Chianti Classico reserva which would be best part of £30 in a restaurant for under a fiver.

Most weeks it is rude not to buy a bottle of whatever is cheap.

Morrisons round here is regarded as quite a decent supermarket whereas over there think it is quite down market.

No Balls is it a good one to start drinking red wine with?

Still not had any, think it could be my summer drink given I wont be going out much.

Red wine is an acquired taste I think, so try a few on them decide which you prefer, without taking it all tool serious, they tend to be graded in terms of depth, normally by letter, so find which letter you like and then read the description for flavour and find another that is similar. You will be amazed how different a light slightly sweet red is to a dark heavy red.

Morrisons is no better or worse than Tesco or Asda, I don't get any of this supermarket snobbery to be honest.

They're halfway through building a Morrisons just a mile and a half from my house, so that's where i'll be going shopping.

I'm not doing a 15-mile round trip elsewhere to save thrumpence on beans or whatever.