Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

More Than My Jobs Worth, Luv

globaldiver

My mum, aged 78, has a disabled parking ticket. and needs it.

Since my father died, she's done well to look after the bureaucracy of life.

Shopping last week at Homebase at Middlebrook, she got a a parking ticket as her disabled pass was one day out of date. She didn't even know it had an expiry date (despite it being on the ticket!!)

£47, including booking fee.

She was distressed. My sister, NHS employee, duly paid it for her.

I have been in touch with Emerson and invited them to repay her.

Rules is rules, we'll see what happens. Cunts.

Thanks, folks

Googled

Expert: John Knoxreplied309 days and 3 hours ago.

Hi Jo

I would advise you to write to Parking Eye, explaining that the blue badge was on the passenger side of the dash and that you therefore refute any suggestion that you are required to pay a fine. You should also say:

1. That this will be your first and only letter to them and that you do not intend to correspond any further on the issue; and

2. That if they decide to bring a claim, you will defend it vigorously and claim your costs from them;

For your information, Jo, this is a private company, which means that they cannot issue the sort of parking fines that the Council issues. Private Eye's 'fines' are actually just invoices and their argument is that you entered into a contract with them when you parked on their land and that you have breached that contract by not showing your badge. Even if you had not shown your badge, their case would be a weak one.

In summary, keep calm and carry on! it is worth sending them one letter though, but only one... don't get embroiled in their nonsense.

One other thing, you can expect that they will write to you on several occasions, threatening all sorts of things. That is standard practise, but they will eventually stop writing and importantly, they will not issue a claim against you. They never do.

Pity she paid up and looked pleasant.

I'd like to say what sort of cunt puts a fine on a disabled persons car (thats not even on the public highway) for being a day out of date.

Then again the number of wankers who abuse them, park up, run into a shop and come back with 60 lamberts and a fist full of lottery tickets, I'd be in two minds whether to do the same myself.

you're best recourse might be Bolton News. poor publicity and all that

There'll be that, and more, if they don't make a refund

Only for my personal amusement

Edited by boltondiver

It will be a "private company" that Emmersons have sold the car park rights to. As its an out of town site it will be in the original planning conditions that they cant charge for the use of the car park so the only way they can make any money is by selling the enforcement rights for things such as disabled parking and overstaying. This is why they have signs and cameras all over the road when you drive on or off as they will be private ANPR ones like you get at the airport just incase they miss you breaking the rules and can then hit you with a civil notice weeks after.

Just because the badge was out of date doesn't mean you mum isn't entitled to use the bays as any new badge would start from the date of expiry if she gets to the council in time. Like has been said fight it but Emmersons probably aint the ones to write to as they will most likely have no say with the private company they have sold their soul to.

Good Luck.

Edited by hughmungus

There's something wrong with appealing against the fine via routes that they don't have legal right

AND

Expecting disabled parking places.

Basically Emerson have done the right thing and created disabled parking spaces and rightly started 'policing them'.

It's a bit heavy handed 1 day of out date thing. But to then legally fight them via the suggested route which could mean any randomer could use them and fight the fine down the exact same route is a bit dodgy.

There's something wrong with appealing against the fine via routes that they don't have legal right

AND

Expecting disabled parking places.

Basically Emerson have done the right thing and created disabled parking spaces and rightly started 'policing them'.

It's a bit heavy handed 1 day of out date thing. But to then legally fight them via the suggested route which could mean any randomer could use them and fight the fine down the exact same route is a bit dodgy.

agreed

if it's fair, so be it

• Site Supporter

I parked in front of Costa's fire exit once when it was heaving. Emerson only gave me a patronising telling off on an official ticket looking thing. Sounds like your mum was unlucky.

It's such a good job the holier-than-though Natasha isn't still around.

It happened to my wife in Bury, traffic warden said the badge was upside down. Take the ticket and the badge to the town hall, the will issue a new badge and refund the parking fine. They then claim it back from the company.

Thanks, all

I put a complaint in, as a request for common sense

And they have agreed that it was a little OTT, refund on the way

Edited by boltondiver