Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Teachers On Strike Tomorrow.

barryk32

Yes we do. However the threat of physical violence should not be considered 'part of the job'. Unless you're a boxer or whatever...

Irrelevant.

That's not why they are striking and you know it.

If they went in strike to highlight violence in their workplace they might have some sympathy.

But they're not.

They're striking because they're a set of fucking mard arses who think they are immune from everything the recession had thrown at everyone else.

They're striking because they're a set of fucking mard arses who think they are immune from everything the recession had thrown at everyone else.

It's not everyone in the private sector who has been hit by the recession, just those who didn't get themselves recession proof careers.Some of us have been getting our annual pay rises or moving on to get them elsewhere thank you very much.Let's not take our own mistakes out on the teachers.It's not the teachers  fault you chose a career dependent on a booming economy.

It's not everyone in the private sector who has been hit by the recession, just those who didn't get themselves recession proof careers.Some of us have been getting our annual pay rises or moving on to get them elsewhere thank you very much.Let's not take our own mistakes out on the teachers.It's not the teachers  fault you chose a career dependent on a booming economy.

notwithstanding pay, pensions are not sustainable and that's nothing to do with the recession

notwithstanding pay, pensions are not sustainable and that's nothing to do with the recession

My soon to be ex-pension provider is more than sustainable JSL

although I know not all public sector pension pots are as well run.

When I'm back in the 'real world' do I get to be all sanctimonious and condescending to those working in the public services?

My soon to be ex-pension provider is more than sustainable JSL

although I know not all public sector pension pots are as well run.

When I'm back in the 'real world' do I get to be all sanctimonious and condescending to those working in the public services?

As much as you like

When I say "sustainable", I mean that the rest of us the real world can't afford the public sector pensions.

What's tempted you away from your nest?

Do you think so?

I'd take the opinion of what I see and hear in trade and industry rather than educational propaganda.

I'd say the exams must be piss easy now because so many of the young uns I've seen coming through over the last generation are thick as fuck.

I see plenty of cv's and its apparent when you delve into them that literacy and numeracy skills are shocking. Handwriting is abysmal. It's a common theme when you speak with other employers.

Ok I know there's plenty clever kids but by shite there's some thick cunts too yet results have improved?? Aye alreet.

16 years of experience working in secondary schools in Bolton, Bury, Manchester and Wigan has given me this perspective....not educational propaganda.

Of course there are problems with the exam system but some subjects are as difficult as they ever were.

Maybe you're not seeing the brighter ones?

Edited by finbwfc

I know you're a bit numb but you do understand how these things work don't you?

If you think 'we' are taking out our frustrations out on teachers and teachers only you need to give your head a wobble.

If you want to wave your cock about, my shit career generated about £150k in VAT, PAYE, and NI last month alone. It'll do the same next month and the month after etc. Then in September there's the Corporation Tax to pay which I'll take a guess will be more than you earn in 5 years.

I've also known what it feels like on a Thursday morning when I havn't a fucking clue where the £00000's needed for Friday wages will come from. During the really dark days that was regular but every Friday every man got paid and many times I've not taken a wage so they got theirs.

Compare the debt the Country carries and compare the income its generating. There's a shortfall. Massive shortfall. Zillions in fact. I have to work like a dog all week and get the best out of my staff to keep our shit business going. And there's thousands more like me and us.

If those shit careers do not generate that money, like they have struggled to do for the last 7 years, then the Gvt don't have enough money to pay the teachers in the first fucking place and yet the petulant cunts have the fucking audacity to complain.

They can fucking starve for me and I'd swap the efforts of any one of my staff for a hundred of those selfish ungrateful wankers.

16 years of experience working in secondary schools in Bolton, Bury, Manchester and Wigan has given me this perspective....not educational propaganda.

Of course there are problems with the exam system but some subjects are as difficult as they ever was.

Maybe you're not seeing the brighter ones?

I'm seeing ones with so called top grades who are actually thick as fuck. 

You can't blame a curriculum for the fact people are coming to the UK with English as a second or third language yet they've got more of a grasp of the language than some fucker with 10 A*s.

That probably comes down to drive ambition and parenting. I work with loads of kids with English as a second or third language. They generally perform better than White British students.

And believe me any student with 10 A*s will be able to speak the language. An A* in my subject (History) is far tougher than a pass under the O Level system. I know this because I have given students both exams.

I'm seeing ones with so called top grades who are actually thick as fuck. 

Really? Do schools prepare students for a career in trade and industry? Of course not. But don't blame teachers for this. We had to scrap a motor vehicle repair course because it no longer contributed to GCSE reforms.

I will say that more and more students are losing the value of work - very few have any part time jobs. The workplace will be a culture shock for many of them.

An A* in GCSE tougher than a pass (grade C) in O Level you say? I should fucking hope so!

My point being that any student with 10 A* will have worked hard for those results and the idea that they are 'thick as fuck' is just nonsense.  

I do accept that some exams are not as challenging as others. Some schools have played the system to ensure they are getting the highest grades possible. I don't agree with this.

Really? Do schools prepare students for a career in trade and industry? Of course not. But don't blame teachers for this. We had to scrap a motor vehicle repair course because it no longer contributed to GCSE reforms.

I will say that more and more students are losing the value of work - very few have any part time jobs. The workplace will be a culture shock for many of them.

I don't think the issue of are they cleverer or not than yesteryear is the point here (regarding strike action).

I know full well how difficult things are, I know a school can be deemed to be shit because of league tables and how unjust it is when you consider its catchment area and background lifestyle the kids have been dragged up from versus a maybe more affluent area where parents often have a different approach to their kids welfare and education.

Which school is the best then? One where Johnny Shithouse who when starting school cant even wipe his arse and has dirty clothes and a battered mum but eventually manages to read by the age of 14 or one where Tarquin gets a triple AplusStar in music because his mummy is a pianist for the Royal Opera?

Regardless, I do think its a schools job to make sure kids can read and write, and prepare them academically for later life. Social skills and the rest is the parents job.

Maybe that's just me though.

My point being that any student with 10 A* will have worked hard for those results and the idea that they are 'thick as fuck' is just nonsense.  

Maybe you misunderstand. 

That kid with 10 A* will be good, I am sure. There are some very very talented kids and the teachers should rightly be proud of that combined achievement.

The issue is Johnny Dickhead leaving school with 6A*s 3 A's and a B yet still has shit literacy and numeracy skills, and writes like I would do with a crayon in my left foot.

My point being that any student with 10 A* will have worked hard for those results and the idea that they are 'thick as fuck' is just nonsense.

I do accept that some exams are not as challenging as others. Some schools have played the system to ensure they are getting the highest grades possible. I don't agree with this.

That's what happens when schools are judged on their grades rather than the education the kid receives. Twatting about with the name of the qualifications isn't going to sort it.

I've worked with folk who could solve massively complex equations til the cows come home but give em summert practical to do and they're stumped.

I've met site foremen with way more 'intelligence' than engineers but academically they'd struggle. Making folk like that sit exams rather than practical and coursework based qualifications is marking them as thick and condeming them to failing.

The wife's health mainly.

Joining the ranks of the self employed so I can look after her or the little un when I'm needed.

good luck and I hope it works out well for all of you

I've worked with folk who could solve massively complex equations til the cows come home but give em summert practical to do and they're stumped.

I've met site foremen with way more 'intelligence' than engineers but academically they'd struggle. Making folk like that sit exams rather than practical and coursework based qualifications is marking them as thick and condeming them to failing.

In one.

There's lads with me who can strip a dumper down with a spoon and put it back together again, who cant read or write.

There's graduate engineers who struggle putting their riggers on the correct feet.

• Site Supporter

I know full well how difficult things are, I know a school can be deemed to be shit because of league tables and how unjust it is when you consider its catchment area and background lifestyle the kids have been dragged up from versus a maybe more affluent area where parents often have a different approach to their kids welfare and education.

Which school is the best then? One where Johnny Shithouse who when starting school cant even wipe his arse and has dirty clothes and a battered mum but eventually manages to read by the age of 14 or one where Tarquin gets a triple AplusStar in music because his mummy is a pianist for the Royal Opera?

This.

When my daughter turned 2 we had to start looking at potential schools.  Due to where we lived we had 3/4 different options.  One of which was Jonny Fow.  Straight away I disregarded it, be it snobbery or ignorance I don't know, but I wasn't having my little girl going there.

I then read up on the Ofsted reports of the schools we were considering and was shocked at the report on Johnson Fold as it was fantastic.

We thought fuck it we'll get a prospectus, what harm can it do.  Soooooo, we went to the schools we were seriously considering to get their bumpf first and they all asked if we wanted to make an appointment to have a look round.  Lastly we reluctantly went to Jonny Fow.

The first thing that was different was that straight away they asked if we wanted to look round, we asked when and they said now, like right now.  No getting anything ready and no telling kids to behave because a 'visitor' was coming.

Feral little twats running wild was what we were expecting but what we got was every single child in the school was polite, working hard and behaving immaculately.  I felt a little ashamed of my preconceptions and decided then and there that she would be going there.

The way we figured it was the school take in kids that haven't had the best start, that come to school unwashed, unloved and eating Space Raiders and Fucking Hula Hoops for breakfast in the playground.  They then turn these kids around and when they leave they have as good a chance as anyone else when they get to secondary school despite the other schools having a head start.

We figured that as our little un wasn't starting with a disadvantage of a shit home life then hopefully she would have the opportunity to do well and after 18 months there it seems we were right.  She is doing really really well, one of the best decisions we have ever made.

I don't think the issue of are they cleverer or not than yesteryear is the point here (regarding strike action).

Regardless, I do think its a schools job to make sure kids can read and write, and prepare them academically for later life. Social skills and the rest is the parents job.

Maybe that's just me though.

I agree that the job of school is to make sure they can read and write. I have worked for the last 9 years in a secondary school that has faced those prejudices re catchment areas. 99% of the staff are very hard working. I've worked in the private sector and seen loads of people do as little as possible and get away with it.  

The unions have handled things badly but my reason for striking is more to do with Gove's reforms and in particular the decision to give head teachers and governing bodies freedom with performance related pay.  

My departments results are the best in the authority - and in a subject that is still recognised as difficult. Therefore, you would assume that I would be happy with performance related pay. I know that there are factors in each school which influence results. I also know that head teachers are very different in the way they run schools. As in any job, often it's a case of if your face fits that determines how high up the ladder you go.

Your point about the contrasting schools highlights this. I have taught in both types of school, The staff in both would say they work harder than the other. In my experience, the more challenging the school, the more hard working the staff.

I'm not sure it is what you do Smiffs but students would benefit from hearing about the difficulties in running a business and other career paths if you ever fancied popping into a local secondary school?

This.

When my daughter turned 2 we had to start looking at potential schools.  Due to where we lived we had 3/4 different options.  One of which was Jonny Fow.  Straight away I disregarded it, be it snobbery or ignorance I don't know, but I wasn't having my little girl going there.

I then read up on the Ofsted reports of the schools we were considering and was shocked at the report on Johnson Fold as it was fantastic.

We thought fuck it we'll get a prospectus, what harm can it do.  Soooooo, we went to the schools we were seriously considering to get their bumpf first and they all asked if we wanted to make an appointment to have a look round.  Lastly we reluctantly went to Jonny Fow.

The first thing that was different was that straight away they asked if we wanted to look round, we asked when and they said now, like right now.  No getting anything ready and no telling kids to behave because a 'visitor' was coming.

Feral little twats running wild was what we were expecting but what we got was every single child in the school was polite, working hard and behaving immaculately.  I felt a little ashamed of my preconceptions and decided then and there that she would be going there.

The way we figured it was the school take in kids that haven't had the best start, that come to school unwashed, unloved and eating Space Raiders and Fucking Hula Hoops for breakfast in the playground.  They then turn these kids around and when they leave they have as good a chance as anyone else when they get to secondary school despite the other schools having a head start.

We figured that as our little un wasn't starting with a disadvantage of a shit home life then hopefully she would have the opportunity to do well and after 18 months there it seems we were right.  She is doing really really well, one of the best decisions we have ever made.

"The first thing that was different was that straight away they asked if we wanted to look round, we asked when and they said now, like right now.  No getting anything ready and no telling kids to behave because a 'visitor' was coming."

I always advise parents to do this.